Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

Probably be Gus or Yogi but why stick with the same old faces? We should be aiming for a manager who has plenty experience but isn't part of the old "Largs mafia". What about someone like Martin Rennie? Youngish, plenty experience abroad and seems to do well wherever he goes?

5 minutes ago, ulysses said:

STV News saying the board will meet this week to create a shortlist. Hoping to make an appointment in time for the Falkirk game. Currently have about 30+ applications in.

And looking for someone that can bring exciting football. That rules Gus out then

2 minutes ago, fmckinn said:

And looking for someone that can bring exciting football. That rules Gus out then

While I agree that Gus is hardly an exciting prospect at this stage, and to be honest, any stage, results are all that matter.

I just hope the next manager gets off to a quick start or he'll be next in the recent line of managers who have been destroyed, acknowledging that some of the points have been reasonable, by the support.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Bud said:

As an ex Tranmere player and the exponent of the longest throw in British football Challinor offers an attacking edge to his teams style

as I say twice a season - get in contact with Mickey Mellon - his record at Fleetwood town should get him the gig alone

failing that McDowell - Ian Ferguson or Mixu have a Saints pedigree

I think Challinor is very much part of the AFC Fylde project. They are awash with cash and new stadium on the way. Much disliked by the rest of the league in a Gretna stylee from what I've picked up. 

A load of us got invited down to hospitality a couple of seasons ago and had a great wee day at Fylde before crashing the Lytham St.George's day back tie dinner with us all in kilts and Fylde tops! Ha! 

Anyway - I suspect that not getting promoted last year was perhaps almost a failure but he's still there. 

Not that there's anything to suggest a link to him becoming Saints next boss, other than you being a fan of his long throw! :) 

Many people think we should forget THAT cup final and forgive Gus, as well as forgetting the one we actually won and pilorrying Danny

A lot of people liked Danny and Gus and appreciated all they did for our club.

Sadly there are a lot of people who moan about everything. Gus and Danny were both slagged for playing 1 up front, recent criticism of Rae is for sticking with 2 strikers.

My choice would be John Hughes but doubt he would want the job.

We could do worse than Gus to be honest, wouldn't be too upset if he landed the job.

I know I'm in the minority here but I actually hope we don't go for Jack Ross, for me, it's another gamble. He's not got much experience, albeit doing well with Alloa.

We need an experienced, long term appointment. Hope the board make the correct choice.

8 minutes ago, Hambud said:

Sadly there are a lot of people who moan about everything. Gus and Danny were both slagged for playing 1 up front, recent criticism of Rae is for sticking with 2 strikers.

Its a bit more complex than that. Rae's squad was unbalanced, and couldn't accommodate the style of play he stubbornly insisted on sticking with.

need to applaud the BOD quick action when required. Now comes the big test.

the next manager will have to work with the current squad so only expecting to be in touch of the play offs. Then see what happens in Jan. I would prefer someone like a Terry Butcher who has contacts and can get players in.

No to Gus we have suffered enough without having to watch a hard working team.

Yogi yes

Barry Ferguson my gut is saying no but everyone seems to speak highly of him as a manager

Jack Ross is a gamble what's he done so far this is another Ian Murray

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

While I agree that Gus is hardly an exciting prospect at this stage, and to be honest, any stage, results are all that matter.

I just hope the next manager gets off to a quick start or he'll be next in the recent line of managers who have been destroyed, acknowledging that some of the points have been reasonable, by the support.

I would think the statement about looking for a manager to bring an exciting brand of football is designed to quell McPherson talk. There is no way you can state that as your mission then appoint Gus, as clear a statement without actually saying the words as they could possibly make.

Why would anyone, board included, even consider Barry Ferguson. He has done nothing to even merit a passing mention.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

I would think the statement about looking for a manager to bring an exciting brand of football is designed to quell McPherson talk. There is no way you can state that as your mission then appoint Gus, as clear a statement without actually saying the words as they could possibly make.

Why would anyone, board included, even consider Barry Ferguson. He has done nothing to even merit a passing mention.

The fact the under 20s (apparently) play an attractive brand of football flew in the face of doggedly sticking with the long ball tactic.

Put simply what is the point investing in a youth set up with a brand of football only to abandon it on entering the first team?

I'm not oblivious to the fact there are times when 'horses for courses' dictates a 'needs must' policy, but ultimately results have cost Rae the job given the poor brand of football.

I for one would have a lot more sympathy with someone trying to play the game the 'right way' and advocate a bit more time to get it right.

I agree I don't know why Barry Ferguson has been linked with us but I have seen him in the top 6 candidates on various sites.

the Gus link comes from GLS stating he wanted Gus to stay and disagreed at the time of his sacking.

think experience has to be brought in.

34 minutes ago, notabuddie said:

need to applaud the BOD quick action when required. Now comes the big test.

the next manager will have to work with the current squad so only expecting to be in touch of the play offs. Then see what happens in Jan. I would prefer someone like a Terry Butcher who has contacts and can get players in.

No to Gus we have suffered enough without having to watch a hard working team.

Yogi yes

Barry Ferguson my gut is saying no but everyone seems to speak highly of him as a manager

Jack Ross is a gamble what's he done so far this is another Ian Murray

Barry Ferguson is in his 3rd season at Clyde. They haven't won promotion - unlike Queens Park who are amateur. I know he's faced a number of challenges over there, but he's had plenty of money and loads of help off his mates. I wouldn't be touting him highly for the job. 

4 minutes ago, Bart Simpson said:

The fact the under 20s (apparently) play an attractive brand of football flew in the face of doggedly sticking with the long ball tactic.

Put simply what is the point investing in a youth set up with a brand of football only to abandon it on entering the first team?

I'm not oblivious to the fact there are times when 'horses for courses' dictates a 'needs must' policy, but ultimately results have cost Rae the job given the poor brand of football.

I for one would have a lot more sympathy with someone trying to play the game the 'right way' and advocate a bit more time to get it right.

Yeah, to be honest I think that's more a flaw with the academy than it is with the ex manager. I know this idea of a single style of play and a rigid formation was part of Mark Wotte's national development plan, but it's got to be bonkers not to teach young players how to mix their styles of play. It should be obvious to everyone that you have to adjust your style of play depending on the opposition and even how much pressure you are being put under at any point in a match. Besides there isn't really a "right way" to play in football. The only right way is to score more goals than the opposition.