Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

10 minutes ago, shull said:

I haven't heard Stuart being interviewed. 

I doubt anybody on here has. 

So your post doesn't make sense. 

Ach you might be doing some people a disservice Shull. 25 years ago I was on Radio Clyde. They had some sort of "Yes/No" competition going on where you were to go 1 minute without saying yes or no to win a Sony Discman. I waited ages to be put on air and the DJ said "Stuart Dickson?", I said "yes" and was promptly dismissed from the competition. Maybe they heard me back then. Who knows.... :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Dont get why Ross is still with Alloa for their next two games? I think we have a bit of a need to get organised sooner rather than later.

Done deliberately just to annoy you. 

Most of us are fine with it. 

It was Alloa's call and we just showed what a decent Club that we are. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Dont get why Ross is still with Alloa for their next two games? I think we have a bit of a need to get organised sooner rather than later.

He has spoken about this today. He is honouring an agreed notice period.

5 hours ago, Soctty said:

You're right. They're both young managers, so are likely to be genetically identical, and will make the exact same decisions, use the exact same "tactics" and will no doubt have the exact same results.

I don't know why nobody else has cottoned on to this...

You know "fool", (not a misprint), well I am referring to the outcome. Nothing to do with employing the same tactics. That would be hard as it was difficult to see what  Rae's were. I don't believe Ross is a good choice because I don't believe he's done anything to suggest he has the ability to manage a full time side successfully.

15 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Posted without a hint of iro... ah, forget it.

I was, admittedly, making the assumption that he sounds like he writes. 

Ah see that's where you've gone wrong. Next time you're reading my posts try it in a Barry White voice. :rolleyes: 

I thought he was starting with us on Monday 10th, am I wrong?

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Thought it was just 1 game.

Sure I read he was taking Alloa for Brechin game and Bala Town?

edit: just re-read the articles, poorly written, he's been to Brechin, now the joy of a day in Bala. One game it is.

Edited by Lord Pityme

On 19 September 2016 at 4:29 PM, Liverpool Bud said:

As an ex Tranmere player and the exponent of the longest throw in British football Challinor offers an attacking edge to his teams style

as I say twice a season - get in contact with Mickey Mellon - his record at Fleetwood town should get him the gig alone

failing that McDowell - Ian Ferguson or Mixu have a Saints pedigree

So Mickey Mellon has been appointed as Tranmere manager - I know this is aSaints forum but as an adopted Tranmere fan - it shows the ambition of Tranmere to get a truly talented manager who will be tasked with getting Rovers back into the league.

and if he does Fock up then maybe he will be a Saints manager of the future ( but not before JR has become  a Saints legend and written his name in our folklore!)

Edited by Liverpool Bud

On 10/4/2016 at 10:19 AM, Sonny said:

But he assembled an imbalanced squad and stuck to a formation and tactic that was probably the worst I have ever seen. And he never changed it. Not once. Even though it was not working. 

Thus proving that if you repeat something often enough it soon becomes accepted as the truth. During Rae's 6 league games as manager this year we hardly ever started with the same back 4 or keeper for 2 games in a row, and the first change in formation (according to you there were none), happened in, er, the first match, when we changed from 4-4-2 to 3-4-3.

To illustrate a few of the changes: At goalkeeper, Langfield started the first two games and was dropped and replaced by Gallagher for the games against Hibs and Ayr - both of them gave away a few howlers and Langfield was back for 1 game against Queen of the South and replaced for Dumbarton by Gallagher again. (In McManus' 2 games he has started Gallagher against Dunfermline and Langfield against Falikirk). We clearly have major problems with the form of the two men who are our last line of defence. Rae inherited one player and signed the other. Before we get to our problems in defence, it can't help our defenders too much to not be sure from week to week whether we will have a quiet keeper who doesn't leave his line behind them, or an eccentric keeper who was our best midfield player in the game against Morton but is also capable of missing the ball completely and falling over when trying to perform that tricky task of kicking the ball out from hand.

All our available defenders ended up getting used, we have had Naismith and Irvine at right back, Irvine and Stewart at left back, and had Baird, Webster, MacKenzie and even 20 minutes of Gordon at centre half.

We started with 3 at the back against Ayr.

20 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Thus proving that if you repeat something often enough it soon becomes accepted as the truth. During Rae's 6 league games as manager this year we hardly ever started with the same back 4 or keeper for 2 games in a row, and the first change in formation (according to you there were none), happened in, er, the first match, when we changed from 4-4-2 to 3-4-3.

To illustrate a few of the changes: At goalkeeper, Langfield started the first two games and was dropped and replaced by Gallagher for the games against Hibs and Ayr - both of them gave away a few howlers and Langfield was back for 1 game against Queen of the South and replaced for Dumbarton by Gallagher again. (In McManus' 2 games he has started Gallagher against Dunfermline and Langfield against Falikirk). We clearly have major problems with the form of the two men who are our last line of defence. Rae inherited one player and signed the other. Before we get to our problems in defence, it can't help our defenders too much to not be sure from week to week whether we will have a quiet keeper who doesn't leave his line behind them, or an eccentric keeper who was our best midfield player in the game against Morton but is also capable of missing the ball completely and falling over when trying to perform that tricky task of kicking the ball out from hand.

All our available defenders ended up getting used, we have had Naismith and Irvine at right back, Irvine and Stewart at left back, and had Baird, Webster, MacKenzie and even 20 minutes of Gordon at centre half.

We started with 3 at the back against Ayr.

Really?

Do you honestly think that Rae showed any real flexibility to his approach to tactics?

The only times he changed formation was when we were in the shit and chasing the game, which to be fair was just about every game, because he persisted in starting two up front, which led to our midfield being overrun, which was one of the reasons we were in the shit in the first place.

Also, Sonny didn't say that he didn't use different players.

Really?

Do you honestly think that Rae showed any real flexibility to his approach to tactics?

The only times he changed formation was when we were in the shit and chasing the game, which to be fair was just about every game, because he persisted in starting two up front, which led to our midfield being overrun, which was one of the reasons we were in the shit in the first place.

Also, Sonny didn't say that he didn't use different players.

Thank you FTOF. The problem was the formation and tactics regardless of who was filling the jersies. 2 strikers. 2 wingers hugging the sidelines and 2 in midfield resulting in the midfield being overrun in every game. The keeper and back four constantly thumped high balls from their own half eliminating the midfield and wingers with the 2 strikers trying do something with their back constantly to goal. Result was the ball coming straight back and the process repeated.

McManus by moving mallan forward to behind 1 striker and playing 2 wide men who played a lot further in therefore contributed more and got crosses in from the byline. We also had 5 in midfield when we lost the ball. And by playing the ball on the deck we kept possession longer and had a chance to build moves. The results were not great but a big improvement on what had gone on before.

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:40 PM, ScotstounSaint said:

That will be the same Rory Loy that scored a double up at Dingwall a few weeks ago. And the same Richie Brittain that went on to play over 200 games and get to the Scottish Cup Final with Ross County?

Yup, Wyness was finished. So was another of his signings, Allan Johnston. That was where Gus got things wrong in his last couple of seasons - going for old pros. But, no one gets all the signings right! Especially not at the bargain basement end of things we deal in.

I enjoyed my football when Gus was in charge a LOT more than I have over the last few years. An old hand like Gus could get us back on an even keel. Jack Ross et al just seems like the same mistake we made with Murray and Rae.

If you look back to 2009/10 you'll see that in the 10 league games Allan Johnston played for us that season we got 16 points compared to the 18 points from 28 games when he was absent. AJ might very well have been at the tail end of his career but in the games he did play I thought he did a good job for us helping us to retain possession - arguably saved us from being relegated that season.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=9199&season_id=139

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/st-mirren/2009-2010/table

Edited by Bud the Baker

Why do St Mirren fans have a self-destruct button? New manager thread. End-of-feelgood factor thread.

Nobody knows what is happening but let's pour cold water on all the good feelings built up since the season ended. Plenty of time for these threads as and when he does leave.