Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

6 minutes ago, porks said:

Holy f**k! Hartley? Is this a wind up?

No. I know some Buddies have a deep felt hatred of him but he was doing more than a reasonable job at Dungdee until they pulled the rug from under him by selling their best assets without investing. The manager pool is a bit sparse at the moment so who would you have? Hopefully, given the posts of those on "twatter", this is now a moot point as we may not be losing Jack.

No. I know some Buddies have a deep felt hatred of him but he was doing more than a reasonable job at Dungdee until they pulled the rug from under him by selling their best assets without investing. The manager pool is a bit sparse at the moment so who would you have? Hopefully, given the posts of those on "twatter", this is now a moot point as we may not be losing Jack.

Don't want to think about alternatives as think Ross will stay but Hartley would be disastrous choice. Lots of things I don't like about his managerial record but that aside, the fact he was voted St Mirrens most hated by the Saints fans is reason alone. That would be no way to start a new tenure.

Anyway all bollox, Jack will stay.

10 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

JF would be a good shout unless he goes with Ross? I would imagine that makes it an irresistible deal for Dundee.

If Ross goes to Dundee then you would think that the opportunity to be a manager in his own right would be more appealing to Fowler than being an assistant at Dundee.

I suppose it would come down to ambition and money.

The appointment of Fowler would at least give some continuity and keep things on track.

35 minutes ago, Paisley brazilians said:

if jack leaves.then its sean dyche for me.all the rest of the managers up hear are mince.we have been through a load of them.

Nah let's have some ambition and go for Antonio Conte :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Tough one

I would take Hartley in a flash to be honest.

Stevie Aitken at Dumbarton has done well for a good few years now at Stranraer and Dumbarton. Just signed a new 2 year deal mind you.

Jack has a two year deal here - doesn't mean a thing as we're finding out...

17 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Tough one

I would take Hartley in a flash to be honest.

Stevie Aitken at Dumbarton has done well for a good few years now at Stranraer and Dumbarton. Just signed a new 2 year deal mind you.

Ross has two years left of his three.

Agree with Soctty :rolleyes:

Edited by pod

51 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Jack has a two year deal here - doesn't mean a thing as we're finding out...

Of ourse it does, SMFC don't need to let him talk to Dundee and if he made a scene then the compensation we require would have an impact on the kind of deal he could get there.

to be honest, I don't see the attraction of joinig a club with no money for the manager on the promise of a big salary that will be withdrawn at the first sign of trouble

Of ourse it does, SMFC don't need to let him talk to Dundee and if he made a scene then the compensation we require would have an impact on the kind of deal he could get there.

to be honest, I don't see the attraction of joinig a club with no money for the manager on the promise of a big salary that will be withdrawn at the first sign of trouble

It will not stop him leaving if he wants to leave, and we're unlikely to get a huge amount in compensation.

with the club not commenting on the speculation, I think it is safe to say that it is just that.

JR would have to resign his position in Paisley before opening talks with a team that has few good players, a reputedly burgeoning debt and a poor track record in supporting their managers over the last few years (decades).  he would be banking that a side who were unable to secure the services of erstwhile soccer pundit Neil McCann were able to put forward a funding package for the side and a decent salary offer that they could sustain.

I simply think that he is not that daft.

18 minutes ago, Soctty said:

It will not stop him leaving if he wants to leave, and we're unlikely to get a huge amount in compensation.

If it is the pittance that is reported in the local rags then surely Dundee would have waved that in front of the chairman, rendering him unable to prevent Dundee talking to JR

If it is the pittance that is reported in the local rags then surely Dundee would have waved that in front of the chairman, rendering him unable to prevent Dundee talking to JR

It's not that, but I don't think it would be an amount that would appease fans.

The two years on his contract mean little.

8 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

with the club not commenting on the speculation, I think it is safe to say that it is just that.

JR would have to resign his position in Paisley before opening talks with a team that has few good players, a reputedly burgeoning debt and a poor track record in supporting their managers over the last few years (decades).  he would be banking that a side who were unable to secure the services of erstwhile soccer pundit Neil McCann were able to put forward a funding package for the side and a decent salary offer that they could sustain.

When the season finished McCann was asked if he was continuing as manager. From the Evening Telegraph ....

'Those poor results, and more importantly poor displays, may have given Neil doubts over whether or not to take on the role as full-time Dens boss.

It’s clear from the season as a whole, and demonstrated by those two final results of the season — a 2-0 loss to Inverness and a desperately poor 4-0 defeat to Hamilton — the Dundee playing squad needs a lot of work.

And it’s been reported McCann is seeking assurances from John Nelms over available funds to reshape the team.'

He said he would talk with the Board and see how much was available to rebuild. McCann then resigned.

Two things strike me 1. Dundee have no war chest for anyone and 2. Their squad is pretty shit.

7 minutes ago, Soctty said:

It's not that, but I don't think it would be an amount that would appease fans.

The two years on his contract mean little.

What would appease the fans, £100, 000, £200,000?

I doubt Dee could raise more than 20-30k, if anything.  It is a poisoned chalice of a job, I would say JR's current career options outshine the one's that Neil McCann found preferrable to a short-lived stint on the Tay.

What would appease the fans, £100, 000, £200,000?
I doubt Dee could raise more than 20-30k, if anything.  It is a poisoned chalice of a job, I would say JR's current career options outshine the one's that Neil McCann found preferrable to a short-lived stint on the Tay.

I agree - Jack would be better served staying here.

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

And we dont