Greenock Morton v St Mirren Championship 1/11/16

shull

1 hour ago, Dalrybud said:

Way passed being depressed by this team. Seriously heading for couldn't care less. emoji20.png

Similarly, I feel as if I should be more bothered than I actually am.

It's probably damning about this side that I'm now able to brush these continuing performances off with such ease, when a  Saints loss used to ruin my weekend.

Losing the record is academic as well. One win in seventeen years is only marginally less grim than zero.

That goes down as one of the most gutless performances I've seen in 47 years following St. Mirren. I can accept a poor performance but not a lack of desire, heart, courage etc.

When we continue playing Hutton and Mallan in central midfield we get overrun. Hutton hides every week, an imposter and should never play for us again..dreadful. Mallan might be ok with a player next to him but at the moment he's bang average.

Please send all loanees back to their clubs, they are giving f**k all to the cause.

Clarkson, too slow. Langfield a joke.

Why Sutton didn't start is beyond me. I fear the worst and if players can't show any desire or fight in a local Derby then we are doomed.

Ross is on a hiding to nothing. That was his third game and third different formation. The problem is he still has the same players. He has now hopefully realised our 3 loanees should never be a first choice and returned to their clubs in Jan. Hutton is dreadful - 2 year contact? What was Rae thinking? The only formation that makes us appear even half decent is 4-2-3-1 however injuries are preventing that. Magennis in only his second game showed more appetite, composure and skill than Hardie, Walsh, Shankland, Hutton have done all season. The only positive from a night full of negatives.

Such a depressing performance, but it's no surprise, we've been watching the same old shite the past three season. Although, tonight may be a new low... If that's even possible?!

The players are the only ones to blame for that tonight, not one ounce of commitment, they're imposters & hopefully we can get rid as many of them as soon as possible. They're not up for the fight and I genuinely don't think they give two f**ks!

Can't honestly see where our next win is coming from with this bunch of wasters.

That first half performance was amongst the most embarrassing and gutless I've ever seen from a St Mirren team. For it to happen in a derby and where we are in the league makes it extremely worrying. Every one of that starting eleven is free to f**k off.

It's clear that this squad is not good enough to play passing football. Things improved slightly after half time when young Magennis came on and we started knocking the ball over the top and down the sides to get the Morton defence turned.

Is it wise to have keeper coaching other keepers when he won't come off his line, and can't kick or throw a ball in the vague direction he means to? Not meaning to single out Langfield, I'm sure we could go through every player in that starting 11 last night and rip their performances to shreds. 

We have such a team of spineless wimps. The only movement guys like Walsh, Morgan and Mallan made in that first half was to scurry behind a marker so they wouldn't get the ball passed to them. These guys aren't up for the fight at all. For Morton's second you knew they had scored from the second they won the ball in midfeild as our players refused to react and track any of the Morton midfeild who broke with pace and purpose. 

We need to punt the loans in January and replace them with the three hardest, angrier and aggressive players we can find.

Midweek away games are not doable for me so I wasn't there last night (although I watched about 15 mins on periscope). From the comments of those that were there, we were - by all accounts - rank. Certainly my 15 mins of online viewing would leave me in no position to disagree.

While I was guilty of pre-game euphoria\hysteria (including a £10 bet on saints with a £5 draw 'saver' :lol:) - my original position was that a draw here would be a bonus and that the most important games for us are those in our three team mini-Championship with Dunfermline and Dumbarton.

While I have flicked the protective cover off the panic button, I've not pressed it yet:

• We saw improvement against United at St Mirren Park - so there is the possibility we can turn this around if we can find that 'level of performance' again (I use the phase with some trepidation).
  • I think on reflection - if we are being honest - this result was always coming; Morton are stronger than us, in better form than us, were at home and must have been sick of getting this six thousand day record being shoved in their faces all these years. We jammed a draw at home and the chances of getting away with it for a second time were slim.
  • Its looking clear now that survival is best result we can hope for - so we need to reset our expectations (if any still harbor hopes of better). If we can finish 8th it gives the management team a summer transfer window to try and do something to get us into a position to challenge next year (what that 'something' is I leave for the experts).
  • IF we can survive this year and IF Hibs and United get back up then we should be in a division of teams with similar resources (or at least none with more than us).
  • There's always the chance for Jack Ross to do some wheeling and dealing in the January transfer market.

I reckon we need to batten down the hatches, aim for 8th and forget about all other targets until this is achieved. Two wins against our real rivals this month will show that survival is achievable.

That's said - if we finish November further behind Dunfermline and Dumbarton than we are this morning then I will be pressing that panic button.

Edited by southsidebud

The worst first half of football I've ever seen. The only reason it wasn't the worst second half was because young Magennis was good and looked interested.

Clarkson was the worst player on the park, which is saying something, but avoided being subbed somehow. Unbelievably bad player.

Keeper - dodgy - doesn't inspire confidence in his defence. Sub keeper looks nervy, not sure what Rae seen in him

Defence - shaky, no leader. Baird does his best but needs a solid centre half next to him. Ben Gordon isn't the answer. MacKenzie injury prone, unreliable. Naismith has been off the pace since his injury sadly

Midfield - lazy - no real connection between the players, lopsided. Mallan seems to enjoy his bevvy too much, takes forever to get into the swing of a game. Has talent though. Stephen, if you read this - get out the bar and get your head in the game, absolute waste 

Strikers - too many - can't fit them all in the team. Giving the manager a headache and it's not a good one. Competition for places is one thing, but that position is absolutely flooded. Clarkson and Shankland to go for me. Hardie and Sutton are actually worth their place if they get service

The most embarrassing display, particularly for lack of effort and guts, I can remember from us in recent years was when Motherwell thumped us 5-0 live on TV last year. In the cold light of day how does last night's display compare to that?

10 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Keeper - dodgy - doesn't inspire confidence in his defence. Sub keeper looks nervy, not sure what Rae seen in him

Defence - shaky, no leader. Baird does his best but needs a solid centre half next to him. Ben Gordon isn't the answer. MacKenzie injury prone, unreliable. Naismith has been off the pace since his injury sadly

Midfield - lazy - no real connection between the players, lopsided. Mallan seems to enjoy his bevvy too much, takes forever to get into the swing of a game. Has talent though. Stephen, if you read this - get out the bar and get your head in the game, absolute waste 

Strikers - too many - can't fit them all in the team. Giving the manager a headache and it's not a good one. Competition for places is one thing, but that position is absolutely flooded. Clarkson and Shankland to go for me. Hardie and Sutton are actually worth their place if they get service

You missed out man of many positions and equally poor in all of them, Gary Irvine. He's the captain and, as you and others have said, there is no leader anywhere in the team/squad. A Goodwin/Millen/Murray type figure would've led by example and frightened a few of them into getting their finger out in that first half. We had to wait until after half time to see any kind of improvement (small though it was). Magennis was sharp, energetic and the only one who looked a match for Morton in midfield.

It's not rocket science FFS! Morton have a youngish squad with pace and energy out wide and up front, and some experience in important positions. We looked very old, slow and plodding in comparison. Every time in this league knows it as well.   

Morton very good last night, but would agree that it was by far the poorest St Mirren performance I've seen in 25+ years of watching derby matches. 

Looks like a major January overhaul is needed to avoid relegation. Genuinely wouldn't want to see St Mirren go down.. to be replaced by the likes of Alloa/Livi, not good for the league at all.

Ross joined Alloa around the same time as Rae joined us last season, and Alloa got relegated.

thinking clearly/objectively.... what does anyone think, realistically he is likely to achieve with a team in the same position, in the same league?

having recorded no positive achievements yet in his less than a season managerial career why would you expect him to suddenly turn that round?

in all competitions this season Rae got Four wins, Three draws and four losses. That I think would be a fair way to compare Ross's record come the year end.

10 minutes ago, Edinbuddie said:

You missed out man of many positions and equally poor in all of them, Gary Irvine. He's the captain and, as you and others have said, there is no leader anywhere in the team/squad. A Goodwin/Millen/Murray type figure would've led by example and frightened a few of them into getting their finger out in that first half. We had to wait until after half time to see any kind of improvement (small though it was). Magennis was sharp, energetic and the only one who looked a match for Morton in midfield.

It's not rocket science FFS! Morton have a youngish squad with pace and energy out wide and up front, and some experience in important positions. We looked very old, slow and plodding in comparison. Every time in this league knows it as well.   

Yes I think you're right. The team has no spine, no leader. The core of the team is empty. Like you say, we need a warrior, not a wean. Magennis was the only spark in that team last night but you can't rely on youth and plodders to keep you in the league. 

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Ross joined Alloa around the same time as Rae joined us last season, and Alloa got relegated.

thinking clearly/objectively.... what does anyone think, realistically he is likely to achieve with a team in the same position, in the same league?

having recorded no positive achievements yet in his less than a season managerial career why would you expect him to suddenly turn that round?

in all competitions this season Rae got Four wins, Three draws and four losses. That I think would be a fair way to compare Ross's record come the year end.

On a percentage basis Alex Raes record stands up to scrutiny quite well.

Better certainly than Murray, Teal and Craig.

But he has gone.

Jack Ross has it all to do but deserves time in which to deliver.

Havng had a couple of games in october against the toughest opposition in the leage and a derby game has provided a stiff test.

November is a month full, in equal measure, or opportunity and threat.

2 League games against the teams immediately above us in the league.

2 Cup Games,

Each of these could provide a lift or deepen the gloom.

We will learn more about the management team and players by the time St Andrews day comes along. 

Ross has his hands full.  The main difference is he has his charges in on a full-time basis. He needs to work on basics and get players fit.  No point in giving players their jotters yet unless free agents or promotes from the development squad are available. Get them in on double sessions, one for fitness and then work on set-pieces and formations. 

The only thing we've got is to work a heck of a lot harder and build confidence through picking up results. Then Jack has to display some strong recruitment in January and fill some of the glaring holes in the squad.

55 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Rae's four wins -

Edinburgh City - a non-league team last season and got their first win of the season last night in all competitions (even have a longer run of losses than we have).

Albion Rovers - lower league team that held us to extra time.

Livingstone - lower League team than had just been relegated.

Ayr Utd - 1-0 home win against a team that had just been promoted.

I do not think it would be fair to compare Ross's record against Rae's abysmal record considering 3 of his wins were against even diddier teams than us and Ross is left with the shitty squad that Rae recruited. One victory against a team in this League with Rae's squad would be an achievement. Two victories would blow Rae's record out the water.

I understand that some seem to have a desperate need to play some sort of 'told you so' card, but Jack Ross has just been appointed and will be the manager of this club for the foreseeable future. I don't really care what he did last season, how he compares to Alex Rae's record etc, that is all pointless nonsense in our current predicament.

The challenge he has is to keep us in this division for another year. That's all that matters. He's got his work cut out because the playing squad that Rae built during the summer is unbalanced with too many players for some areas and no enough for others, has no heart, no leader, no pace, no energy, too many old players, too many injury prone players, etc.

It's not intended as a criticism or a judgement, but I just don't understand some folk's thought processes. When we're bottom of the league and the players have just capitulated in a derby, I'm not sure why it matters how the previous manager's record compares to the new guy who has had 3 games against 3 of the league's form teams!? What are we going to do - sack Jack Ross if his record doesn't match Rae's over a given period?