St Mirren v Falkirk Championship 1/10/16

shull

17 minutes ago, strummer said:

Looks a different saints team from 3/4 weeks ago..heads didn't go down when they scored ..soaked up pressure then hit back with a 20 yarder..hopefully we've turned the corner ...mon the buds.

Because we have never salvaged a point this season from a late equaliser?

eg 1: 1st league game of the season St Mirren 1 Morton 1 (Sutton equalises on 83 minutes)

eg 2: 27th August Ayr United 1 St Mirren 1 (Tom Walsh equalises with a goal in 89th minute).

Perhaps someone should tell the players we are allowed to score (or even get some shots on target) in the first half. Heck, it's not even against the rules to be cheeky and score first. The only game where we got a point that didn't come from a late equaliser was 1-1 with Dumbarton where Hardie (booo!) scored after only 41 minutes.

1 hour ago, northstbuddie said:

Granted Hutton is certainly not one of our more skilful players - but he gives his all and makes himself available to get colleagues out of trouble.

I much prefer his attitude to that of Hardie for example who seems to give the impression he is too good for St Mirren and this level of football. In reality he contributed very little to today's team performance.

I think Hutton as much as anyone is suffering from loss of confidence and when that returns I think we will see a very different player.

Hutton does try but he isn't very good

Takes at least 3 touches before releasing the ball

For the area he plays in he puts us on the backfoot as that is too slow

I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels Hardie isn't giving everything playing at 3/4 pace

The rest tried their best tonight but thats were they are at this moment

The effort was there but quality of player isn't

10 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Hutton does try but he isn't very good

Takes at least 3 touches before releasing the ball

For the area he plays in he puts us on the backfoot as that is too slow

I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels Hardie isn't giving everything playing at 3/4 pace

The rest tried their best tonight but thats were they are at this moment

The effort was there but quality of player isn't

I don't really disagree with your comments, but Hutton today was almost a one-man midfield - he got absolutely no support from Quinn who for some reason does not attract the same amount of pelters on here.

Just now, northstbuddie said:

I don't really disagree with your comments, but Hutton today was almost a one-man midfield - he got absolutely no support from Quinn who for some reason does not attract the same amount of pelters on here.

Quinn is not match fit and just returning from injury.

The pleasing thing for me... even though it was only a 5 minute cameo... was seeing McManus have the bottle to try Clarkson in midfield... something I have been crying out for since Quinn was first injured.

He didn't shirk a single tackle... won every single challenge... closed everything down quickly... and did more in his 5 minutes than Hutton or Quinn had in the previous 85!

I hope we explore that option further as I feel his experience could be vital... he has the potential to be the midfield driving force and leader we currently lack!

20 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Quinn is not match fit and just returning from injury.

The pleasing thing for me... even though it was only a 5 minute cameo... was seeing McManus have the bottle to try Clarkson in midfield... something I have been crying out for since Quinn was first injured.

He didn't shirk a single tackle... won every single challenge... closed everything down quickly... and did more in his 5 minutes than Hutton or Quinn had in the previous 85!

I hope we explore that option further as I feel his experience could be vital... he has the potential to be the midfield driving force and leader we currently lack!

He hasn't the legs

Same can be argued about Hutton and Quinn

That's the biggest problem as we can never control a game as the engine room is far too slow

I thought we did okay tonight.  Pleased with the shape of the team, particularly with Naismith trying to get forward more although I always think he struggles fitness wise in games.  Didn't think we deserved to lose the match so a point was fair.

I thought Baird, Sutton and Morgan did well and I thought Quinn had a good game too. 

Mallan was very poor, his pass completion rate was abysmal. 

Hutton wasn't great, again lacks a bit of strength and agility to play that ball winning midfield anchor man role.  Disappointed to hear people cheer him getting subbed, can't see what good that does. 

Hardie should have been subbed at half time, and good to see Clarkson playing in midfield.  It might not be his preferred position but Clarkson is a worker and leader who could do a job in the centre of the park - something we really lack at the moment. 

He hasn't the legs

Same can be argued about Hutton and Quinn

That's the biggest problem as we can never control a game as the engine room is far too slow

Agree that the engine room has been the main failing... Moreso than the calamitous defending at times.

However... In a 4231 you can get away with an older pro as one of the 2.

Could it really be any worse than what we have been subjected to so far this season?

Considering every player this season has been poor it seems to me the boo boys have this all down to Hutton. In a few games has been no worse than Mallan or Clarkson or a few player. But he's the guy that gets picked one. It's all his fault.

I don't think anyone has said its all his fault, it clearly isn't, but is he a good player? No, not for me, he brings absolutely nothing to the team, would be better playing some lad from the u20's in his position and give them a bit of experience.

I don't think anyone has said its all his fault, it clearly isn't, but is he a good player? No, not for me, he brings absolutely nothing to the team, would be better playing some lad from the u20's in his position and give them a bit of experience.

So tell us all. Who's the good players this season. Absolutely no one. But everybody on here wants to single out one player. It's disgraceful.

So tell us all. Who's the good players this season. Absolutely no one. But everybody on here wants to single out one player. It's disgraceful.

You say that as if it is something new! You and I both know that for decades, there has always been at least one player in the team that can do no right in the eyes of some.

From Cheesy, McGinn and McLean right back to Alex Bone, Bobby Dawson and even further back to some guy called Billy Stark who was slated weekly.

That said, IMO Hutton really has been the worst of a bad lot this season! Last weeks defence splitting pass for Dunfemlines winner being the icing on the cake.

There must be a player in there somewhere. You cannot be the Doonhamers player of the season if you are totally devoid of ability.

Is it a confidence issue? Position being played in? I really don't know.

I hate players being targetted for abuse but in this case have very little evidence to use in his defence.

Looks a different saints team from 3/4 weeks ago..heads didn't go down when they scored ..soaked up pressure then hit back with a 20 yarder..hopefully we've turned the corner ...mon the buds.

Couldn't agree more. As I said before, something was going on in the dressing room to rob the players of every ounce of confidence. In the QoS match, the players looked like deer caught in the headlights. No one wanted to do anything for fear of ridicule. No drive, no enthusiasm -- certainly no one sprinting to take a corner! This team certainly has the skill and inate ability to do far better. Let's see what improvements confidence will bring. Think about it. Do you perform better at work if your boss is constantly on your back, or if he supports you and encourages you along the way? Perhaps Rae couldn't read his players properly and used the wrong tactics. I get the feeling he was less motivational and more confrontational. Don't get me wrong, while today marked a huge improvement in commitment and drive, compared to a few weeks ago, there is still some way to go.

You say that as if it is something new! You and I both know that for decades, there has always been at least one player in the team that can do no right in the eyes of some.

From Cheesy, McGinn and McLean right back to Alex Bone, Bobby Dawson and even further back to some guy called Billy Stark who was slated weekly.

That said, IMO Hutton really has been the worst of a bad lot this season! Last weeks defence splitting pass for Dunfemlines winner being the icing on the cake.

There must be a player in there somewhere. You cannot be the Doonhamers player of the season if you are totally devoid of ability.

Is it a confidence issue? Position being played in? I really don't know.

I hate players being targetted for abuse but in this case have very little evidence to use in his defence.

Hutton wasn't really player of the year. He won one award. The majority were won by the young left back whose name I forget.

From what someone told me Hutton won the award from a new supporters club "who like to think they are a bit different".

It was great and uplifting to hear the West Bank in great voice , for a spell, yesterday.

Loved it.

A Singing Section would be fine , but all we need is The Team to show a bit of dig and enterprise and we will all give it laldy from our seats.

Edited by shull

Funny that many fellow posters talk of the 'atmosphere' in The dressing room under the previous management team. Yet i have now heard five players, unprompted say what a great management team they were, and are sad they went!

there is a delusional mentality at play in our club that I hear from coaches and players alike, suggesting 'we have been unlucky' and that 'we have the quality to have more points' and that 'we can climb the table'.....

we are rock bottom, worst team, worst points, worst performances and set to be relegated! Wevarevthe only team in thebleague as it stands who can be automatically relegated... We Are in a real relegation battle!

if we fail to beat Dundee Utd in two weeks, and replicate this miserable points return in the next three quarters of the season we will have amassed less than 20 points, and get our just desserts. I can only hope whoever gets the gig can come out publicly as well as in the dressing room and make sure all and sundry understand we are fighting relegation, because we are favourites and in pole position to go. Somebody At the club has to get real and end all this delusional crap about being 'nearly there'...

51 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hutton wasn't really player of the year. He won one award. The majority were won by the young left back whose name I forget.

From what someone told me Hutton won the award from a new supporters club "who like to think they are a bit different".

I watched Hutton against us down their, and thanked them for picking him - he was then and is now a very uninspiring player.

10 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Considering every player this season has been poor it seems to me the boo boys have this all down to Hutton. In a few games has been no worse than Mallan or Clarkson or a few player. But he's the guy that gets picked one. It's all his fault.

Hutton was signed as a replacement for Goodwin and gets pelters because he's being compared with what was there before.  Mallan has been poor but has had some flashes of quality, Clarkson poor but has been in and out of the team.