St Mirren v Falkirk Championship 1/10/16

shull

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Hutton wasn't really player of the year. He won one award. The majority were won by the young left back whose name I forget.

From what someone told me Hutton won the award from a new supporters club "who like to think they are a bit different".

Would that be Lewis Kidd by any chance:whistle

Don't tell Dicko

I thought Hutton had a decent game yesterday. He certainly wasn't the worst Saints player by a long way. I'm not sure why Naismith sails by without criticism. He was blowing out of his arse 10 minutes into the game. Shitting out of tackles to the extent he really is going to get badly injured one day, Dreadful passing, and his crossing always hit the first man. Several times in the game Hutton was looking to pass to him and he refused to move, and worst of all for me with the score at 1-1 St Mirren won a corner. Every Saints player went forward leaving a Falkirk player on the halfway line on his own. Langfield screamed for 2 to come back and defend. Irvine obliged, and Clarkson had to cover second spot cause Naismith refused to get back. Now I don't know about the manager, but I'd rather have Clarkston in the opponents box and Naismith out of there but teamwork doesn't appear to be in Naismiths head.

16 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Trying to be positive there's been brief flashes that indicate the team has the potential to escape the relegation & play-off spots.

Let's hope the new guy can get us playing with the purpose we showed after the equalizer more often than not.

Yes couldn't make the game due to other commitments and frankly expected a canning, getting a draw was a decent result. 

On the defence, I've said for weeks the problem is Webster. I'm not convinced by any of the others, but Webster is done. 

In midfield, playing 5 means we don't get over run. 

Still some work needed and some players need to step up to the plate but an improvement and really that's about as much as we can expect. 

16 hours ago, spoogy1 said:

the team played better without Hutton or is that just me that thinks that

I said during the game that we'd be better with Hutton off the park. Even without a replacement. What happened to this great Pro gym? Shankland, Langfield, Naismith and more look totally out of shape. That game felt like a win given what happened for 85 minutes. And we should probably have sneaked it given the boost we got from the goal and the fear it seemed to instill in the Falkirk players.

3 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I thought Hutton had a decent game yesterday. He certainly wasn't the worst Saints player by a long way. I'm not sure why Naismith sails by without criticism. He was blowing out of his arse 10 minutes into the game. Shitting out of tackles to the extent he really is going to get badly injured one day, Dreadful passing, and his crossing always hit the first man. Several times in the game Hutton was looking to pass to him and he refused to move, and worst of all for me with the score at 1-1 St Mirren won a corner. Every Saints player went forward leaving a Falkirk player on the halfway line on his own. Langfield screamed for 2 to come back and defend. Irvine obliged, and Clarkson had to cover second spot cause Naismith refused to get back. Now I don't know about the manager, but I'd rather have Clarkston in the opponents box and Naismith out of there but teamwork doesn't appear to be in Naismiths head.

Agree with all of that. 

Thought the end of the game was good. Players seemed to get a lift out of the fact the fans got behind them a bit instead of the constant abuse. I also like Clarkson and thought he added a bit of dig and drive to midfeild. I'd have him in the team every week.

Mallan had another game where he barely broke into a jog. He needs to get his finger out, if he thinks he's going to be moving onto bigger and better things right now he's mistaken. He's miles away at the moment.

Agree with all of that. 

Thought the end of the game was good. Players seemed to get a lift out of the fact the fans got behind them a bit instead of the constant abuse. I also like Clarkson and thought he added a bit of dig and drive to midfeild. I'd have him in the team every week.

Mallan had another game where he barely broke into a jog. He needs to get his finger out, if he thinks he's going to be moving onto bigger and better things right now he's mistaken. He's miles away at the moment.

Said weeks ago Rae should play Clarkson in midfield he give you a good work rate and not scared to put in a challenge.

5 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Said weeks ago Rae should play Clarkson in midfield he give you a good work rate and not scared to put in a challenge.

Yeah, I said the same myself, as did a few others on here. The midfield is seriously lacking in work-rate just now.

Hutton was signed as a replacement for Goodwin and gets pelters because he's being compared with what was there before.  Mallan has been poor but has had some flashes of quality, Clarkson poor but has been in and out of the team.  

I'm not saying Hutton is a good player. He has been poor. Point I'm making is, he's not alone. But it seems to be the one the boo boys are blaming for our downfall.

45 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

I'm not saying Hutton is a good player. He has been poor. Point I'm making is, he's not alone. But it seems to be the one the boo boys are blaming for our downfall.

You must have missed the sustained criticism of Naismith, Webster , Hardie, Langfield, Shankland and Irvine to name but a few other players.

I think Hutton has been unfortunate, in that most of us, and more importantly our previous manager, believed he would be good enough to play a pivotal role as a defensive mainstay of our midfield. Sadly, his performances in this respect have been shockingly bad. At the start, I tried to be positive and thought it was just "settling in" issues, but he just seems to offer so little to the team. It's like watching a stray bin bag being blown about in the wind, when he's on the park.

Absolutely.

I was amazed to see how much abuse he got for last night. He was the only midfielder constantly showing for the ball. I know Quinn isn't 100% fit but he was hiding at times and was never free for Hutton to pass to. Mallan also really poor last night. I'm also amazed that Hardie lasted the full 90mins

53 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

I'm kind of agreeing, I'm just suggesting that replacing Goodwin is part of the reason he gets more abuse than others. 

Hutton had better game than Mallan and got no help from anyone, Quite a few occasions he made forward runs with ball and no-one showed for him. Agree Clarkson could be a positive in midfield slot. Personally I'd leave Mallan out for once, his passing and workrate has been atrocious for weeks now, only seems to be on park to take set pieces. Walsh should start, can't be far off top scorer.

Good performances from Sutton and Baird in particular.

Players influence crowd then crowd reacts influencing players sooner they realise this the better for everyone. If last 5 minutes were anything to go by we might just make top half of table!!

14 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

What i would say is that right across midfield (wherever that is these days) we have been giving possession away in every game, Hutton and Mallan have been the worst offenders, Hutton tries more than Mallan but he is just not up to it and Mallan is worse. Can't moan about a free kick goal when it comes off the wall. Not conceding a goal in open play from the middle of the area for once is a plus point we can take from Saturday.

Don't know how anyone can defend Hutton, he takes 4 touches to control the ball and then stands over it looking for a pass for 10 secs..panics when someone closes him down and passes it the way he's facing. Mallan has been anonymous in the middle of the park this season but at least we know he has it in him to be a good player so if we can only drop one of them due to lack of depth in the squad then get Hutton punted.

ETA: He actually kicked himself in the face with the ball at one point on Saturday.. if he meant it then I would say that was the best piece of skill i've seen from him.

Edited by irvine_buddie