Update from the chairman

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you all to our new look website and give a huge thank you to all those who helped with the redesign of the site and in particular "Big Front Door" who were responsible for turning all the good ideas into reality. 

For me this also represents a perfect opportunity to mark the beginning of a new era both on and off the park. 

Our partnership with Smisa is in its earlier stages but I am very comfortable that we are heading in the right direction and that, together, we can create a successful fan ownership model over the next 10 years. 

I am also very happy how quickly we have gelled as a board and while everybody is still finding their feet I know we will all have a very positive input in taking the club forward. 

We have had the keys now for 2 months and feel that, although we are moving in the right direction behind the scenes, we were not progressing on the park or in terms of our communication with our support. 

As a result of that and as part of our long term plan we decided to implement some major changes. 

The decision to terminate the managers contract was not an easy one. Alex did a tremendous job last year but for some reason it was just not happening this year. People outwith the club and support will consider that we didn't give him enough time and I can understand that. Our job, however, is to do what's best for St Mirren Football Club. 

However, at the risk of contradicting myself, I don't think it is any coincidence that the most successful managers are given time to get things right. That does not just require patience and support from the board but also from the stands. Our long term goal is to have a man at the helm who will have an input into all playing aspects of the club with the aim of producing a successful supply chain from the youth system to the first team. It is vital that our new manager buys into that philosophy as well as producing a product on the pitch that we can all enjoy watching. 

We have also made the decision to employ a dedicated media manager. We feel that this is now a full time job and is a vital part of improving our communication levels and selling the services of the club going forward with the new website being key to achieving this.

I have stated from the beginning that we need to increase the turnover of the club so that we are competing with the top 6 clubs of the top flight and not flirting between the Premiership and the Championship. 

This will not be easy by any manner of means and we are already £125k down on our income levels for next season due to the loss of the SPFL parachute payments. We also have a very financially beneficial agreement with JD sports that we need to make some tough decisions on. 

In my previous role within the stadium construction project I promised that I would try and improve the disabled viewing facilities once we had the SPL compliant stadium that was our agreement with tesco. Unfortunately I left the club before I was able to make good on that promise so it has become a key part of my re-incarnation to fulfil that commitment with the new disabled platform in the main stand. 

We are also investigating the viability of numerous projects that include the "Love Street Coffee Shop", an advertising board at the Paisley end corner that will be utilised to promote club services and home games as well as being a source of income, a memorial garden, office provision in one of the corners, and making the 1877 bar a standalone facility so it can be better utilised without the entire main stand being open. These things won't happen overnight and most need significant funding but rest assured we are working hard to take the club forward.

My aim is to provide regular updates for the supporters going forward. Please do also record any ideas or suggestions you have on our new "Suggestion Wall" here on the site. Your opinion really does matter.

Without the continued support of you, our loyal fans, and club sponsors none of this will be possible so we ask that you continue to support us in every way you can. We are in this together for the long haul!

I like the idea of finally utilising the corners for advertising space and office space that's additional funds for the club and addresses the issue of the open corners , also like the appointment of a media manager should make the communication better all a positive move

Any ideas no matter how small that bring in extra revenue for the club can only be a positive thing

1 hour ago, gazmc83 said:

I like the idea of finally utilising the corners for advertising space and office space that's additional funds for the club and addresses the issue of the open corners , also like the appointment of a media manager should make the communication better all a positive move

Any ideas no matter how small that bring in extra revenue for the club can only be a positive thing

Absolutely mate. I just find it refreshing to get an update from the club on the sort of things they are doing behind the scenes, and I really hope it continues!

Any idea where the coffee shop would be? Great news regarding filling one of the corners with office space, I'm guessing this will be either the South East or South West. On the advertising front, I wonder if this will utilise the other corner at the south end of the stadium.

Interesting comments regarding JD and the 1877 too.

We have been crying out for this statement and these ideas for years.

Brilliant to hear the plans and vision by Scott.

Edited by Cairters_Corner

Not sure about the viability of a coffee shop, but you have to admire the ambition.

Its very encouraging to read this statement, but the test will be just how long this level of communication will be sustained.

I seem to recall previous promises to engage with the supporters that dissipated all too soon. Hopefully, the new regime, and the imperative to keep those signed up to the fan ownership ideal, will ensure that history is not repeated.

Not wishing to be cynical, though. Positive stuff, and long may it continue!

44 minutes ago, Cairters_Corner said:

Any idea where the coffee shop would be? Great news regarding filling one of the corners with office space, I'm guessing this will be either the South East or South West. On the advertising front, I wonder if this will utilise the other corner at the south end of the stadium.

Interesting comments regarding JD and the 1877 too.

We have been crying out for this statement and these ideas for years.

Brilliant to hear the plans and vision by Scott.

And where is all this money coming from !

Not sure about the viability of a coffee shop, but you have to admire the ambition.

Its very encouraging to read this statement, but the test will be just how long this level of communication will be sustained.

I seem to recall previous promises to engage with the supporters that dissipated all too soon. Hopefully, the new regime, and the imperative to keep those signed up to the fan ownership ideal, will ensure that history is not repeated.

Not wishing to be cynical, though. Positive stuff, and long may it continue!

Agree with all of this. Whilst I think personally the coffee shop idea is barking I'm really pleased to see us thinking about new ideas, and if it happens then I'll try and use it if and when I can.

I'm really hopeful Gordon will do these updates once a month as I think it makes a real difference to the link between board and fans.

I guess not every month is going to be as easy as this one but there is always something happening that can be discussed you would think !?

Maybe a coffee shop is not barking. There is an industrial estate across the road with few facilities. There will be a range of visitors to the stadium either on St Mirren business or car parking business. And of course community activities. Hopefully it will be a success. I'll certainly buy a coffee there on match days as I am usually at the stadium pretty early.

I didn't think a coffee shop in Elderslie would take off

It has been a huge success and from the boy who owns it told me Fitzy and GLS were in the shop enquiring the ins and outs of the business

I think if it was going to happen and be successful it would need to be a concession run by people already in the business.

The club couldn't surely consider opening a coffee shop and running it themselves, that would be mental??

The Saporito boys would be my first port of call if I was Gordon!

48 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Maybe a coffee shop is not barking. There is an industrial estate across the road with few facilities. There will be a range of visitors to the stadium either on St Mirren business or car parking business. And of course community activities. Hopefully it will be a success. I'll certainly buy a coffee there on match days as I am usually at the stadium pretty early.

This exactly  And if there's plans to put offices in as well then even better. 

Div may well think it's barking, but I was at Straiton Retail Park this afternoon. Try counting the number of coffee outlets there. I gave up once I'd got to 10. Two Costa Coffee shops are actually situated next door to each other - one in a stand alone unit and the other as part of the large Next store next door and both were absolutely rammed full with little room to move never mind get a spare seat at 2pm this afternoon. 

If there is enough footfall in the area then a decent coffee shop will make a load of money. Giving that away would be bonkers. 

I wonder if they'll look at the showers facility idea that I noticed at that Manchester Airport Car Parking facility earlier too. Div thought that was barking as well but his opinion clearly isn't worth a f**k :P

Yep good point if there's going to be offices within the stadium then coffee shop perhaps underneath the offices would make perfect sense , doing take aways would also make sense given the number of industrial estates nearby I'm positive it would be a profitable venture

I'm sure a lot of fans would utilise on match day aswell , I know personally as I travel through from the east I would much rather give my money to St. Mirren than a another cafe/restaurant in the city centre

Another idea ( they have this inside one of the stand in Livingston ) is incorporating a gym /fitness centre into one of the stands perhaps with a discounted membership rate for supporters ? In sure a lot of fans and non fans would take this up