Update from the chairman

Does anyone remember the football thing for kids at braehead that Kevin Keegan set up? Something like that might be an added attraction for families, especially if it was linked to a coffee shop or cafe. Even if it just opened at weekends and school holidays, might also encourage kids to follow the Saints.

Does anyone remember the football thing for kids at braehead that Kevin Keegan set up? Something like that might be an added attraction for families, especially if it was linked to a coffee shop or cafe. Even if it just opened at weekends and school holidays, might also encourage kids to follow the Saints.

Our (WWW) 2001 side are in Germany at the moment and my Facebook is full of pictures of them playing football related games on their tour of the Westfalenstadion in Dortmund. One particular one seemed really popular and didn't take up much foot space and would be ideal for the 1877 club as part of the offering to kids.

39 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

If the air-rail link actually goes ahead, there is massive potential for parking and other facilities adjacent to the ground.

I genuinely don't get this, byk.

I thought an air-rail link would actually cause people to use  Public Transport to access the airport rather than drive and park and then be transported to the airport, whether by rail link or any other means...   :unsure: 

11 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

gazmc83.Excellent post.If I remember correctly from attending AGMs in the Love Street days I recall that the fitness centre underneath the Caledonia Stand brought in around £100k in profit per annum.Definitely something we should explore.

It did initially but the money wasn't reinvested and it started to look a bit shabby (used to play 5's there), by 2005/06 season (10 years after opening) it had to be farmed out because it was no longer making money. Without wanting to be Mr. Negative all off-field activities will be in competition with companies which don't have a cash-cow to support - let's be careful out there!

In case anyone is not aware there is a 'Suggestion Wall' on the new OS site to post any ideas you may have and all suggestions will be considered by the BOD. There are some decent ideas kicking about on this thread alone but get them on the Wall so they can be considered by the the people that make the decisions :)

54 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Getting a rail link with a stop at St James opens up the possibility of hotels, parking and other facilities that can offer lower prices and take custom away from the exisiting airport campus

Wouldn't an air rail link (in the current mooted proposal anyway) completely bypass St. James' station, though?

35 minutes ago, Slash said:

I wonder whether the waste land across the road from the Dome was included in the sale to GLS. If yes, then perhaps there is scope for expansion. Or did SGG keep that to sell privately.

I remember years ago hearing that it was earmarked for a hotel facility to service the airport. No idea if that was just speculation, though. That area is deceptively large. It, or indeed the land at Craigilea Drive, could certainly be used for extra parking at the very least if ever needed.

Some cracking ideas in this thread already. Think it's definitely a huge positive to have someone as proactive and forward thinking as Gordon Scott at the helm and that in turn will inspire people to come up with ideas rather than shouting them at deaf ears. 

I remember years ago hearing that it was earmarked for a hotel facility to service the airport. No idea if that was just speculation, though. That area is deceptively large. It, or indeed the land at Craigilea Drive, could certainly be used for extra parking at the very least if ever needed.

Some cracking ideas in this thread already. Think it's definitely a huge positive to have someone as proactive and forward thinking as Gordon Scott at the helm and that in turn will inspire people to come up with ideas rather than shouting them at deaf ears. 

Exactly.

This is why I am excited by fan ownership... There is a collective responsibility to improve us.

As long as the elected board listens, considers, then acts appropriately we will get more right than wrong.

Example...

Pozbaird is a genius at graphic design. He was the brains behind the book "Love Street. The Final Chapter".

He made it happen... Despite "the club" being unwilling to invest in something that would have guaranteed a return.

Example...

Hospitality... It should be hosted by a fan who has the appropriate skills.

That would free our commercial manager up to mingle with the guests and build relationships.

That would work beautifully if we had someone in post confident enough in his own ability to accept support without seeing it as a threat.

GLS comes across as a man who can see the bigger picture.

I am happy to be at his service for the sake of improving our club. I believe many are.

With regard to coffee shop, for it to be success club need to run themselves not by third party as part of my business I run 5 coffee ' ''shops' all are associated to a venue/ attraction in my opinion to be viable need 100k turnover net a year to give any return. Happy to support club with time, ideas and input if of any help.[emoji477]️

10 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Misinterpreting what I am saying there, possibly I could have worded it better.

Specifically, we need this to be open access on match days

as one of the "founder members", you'll get no complaints from me for opening it up to all on matchdays.

I bought into the concept of getting a supporters bar founded and open. I have always wanted it to be first in first served and 1 out 1 in when full. The quicker that happens, the better for St Mirren FC and it's supporters.

Dont know how the council would be about any work they might need to do off railway property but I know that Network Rail are unlikely to dedicate money or time to changing/adding track & infrastructure near St.James. They still have electrification work to carry out for EGIP and rebuilding of Glasgow Queen Street Station first