Sign in to follow this  
shull

Getting Close To £30 Admission Fee At St Mirren Park.

20 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Firstly. I agree on the work the ground staff have done. The pitch is a credit to everyone involved. 

My contribution to this thread has been to say that if the business or community benefit was great enough then it should at least  be considered. 

I  now live near Falkirk and visit their stadium often outside match days. Great cafe with very friendly staff. 

Games I have watched there against Saints have generally been close and exciting affairs...without the grass.  

Kids and community groups can also use the facilities. It might be heresy to suggest it but could our academy then be based at Greenhill Road? 

No need to shoot me or curse me if you take a different view. Just explain to me  why grass is automatically better? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35551537

45 minutes ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Would the Scotland U20s and other age groups still use it if changed?

Yes.

The Falkirk stadium has hosted both women's and under age internationals.

Contrary to my earlier assertions, the Falkirk stadium is actually 100% synthetic, they changed it in 2013. Must have passed my be, like many things these days.:lol:

Unique properties of GreenFields® MX

The surface to be installed is a GreenFields MX synthetic turf.  Compared to the tufting method used in current installations, the patented weaving technique enables a higher density, higher resilience, less compaction and a more equal ball roll.  The surface has been specifically designed for football with 50mm tufts compared with the longer 65mm which has been used for mixed football and rugby uses.  It is of course fully FFA two star compliant and conforms to rules laid out by the SPL and SFL.

This surface is currently used in the Dutch Premier League at Heracles Almelo and PECZwolle.  And the Dutch First Division has awarded GreenFields and TenCate the contract for at least 6 stadium fields.

Edited by FTOF

Please , please   , please  don't go down this road. Walk down the street on a very cold December with plastic shoes on. Go home and change the shoes to leather and do the same walk. Natural is best, natural is better for health that is the bottom line. 

15 hours ago, FTOF said:

It's the mix of grass/synthetic that Falkirk have that I'd like.

It is a fantastic playing surface.

Actually, I'm wrong it's 100% synthetic.

Yes the hybrid pitches like those at Arsenal and Murrayfield are reportedly great playing surfaces but are very expensive.

9 hours ago, BaldyOzBud said:

Ridiculous point, the game is not played on the sidelines.

I was referring to the tweet which suggested installing artificial turf ON the sidelines. That's why I say it makes no difference. I wasn't suggesting we carry it onto the park!

Personally I don't like artificial pitch surfaces, have played on a few(mainly through playing rugby) and always felt better playing on proper turf and grass pitch- I do think we will eventually need to look at synthetic/hybrid surfaces(as most clubs will) but feel that they aren't quite at the stage of being a real alternative to real grass surfaces. Anyone care to lambast my views or just disagree?

On 7/1/2017 at 11:40 PM, BaldyOzBud said:

Yes the hybrid pitches like those at Arsenal and Murrayfield are reportedly great playing surfaces but are very expensive.

If we were to go down the "artificial " route then hybrid would be the one. 

(Our present grass pitch is great) 

Personally I don't like artificial pitch surfaces, have played on a few(mainly through playing rugby) and always felt better playing on proper turf and grass pitch- I do think we will eventually need to look at synthetic/hybrid surfaces(as most clubs will) but feel that they aren't quite at the stage of being a real alternative to real grass surfaces. Anyone care to lambast my views or just disagree?

No need to lambast, we’ve managed on grass since the inception of the game.

No need to change that.

If people want to raise revenue ? Explore other avenues and if they want to rent out an artificial pitch ? Lay it elsewhere outside the stadium.

On 9/26/2016 at 11:06 AM, Stuart Dickson said:

I'd agree with it. With proper utilisation it would be a superb way to raise revenue. There are grants available for the conversion too although I wouldn't want to see the club go down that route without proper tie ins with local juvenile clubs to ensure proper community benefit.

The only downside is litter. Whenever our kids played at The Excelsior or New Douglas Park there was always a great deal of litter in the stands. I presume this is because clubs weren't taking ownership of their after match clean ups.

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

We have a great playing surface so no need for plastic - what's the business case as that's what it would boil down to ?

Read the whole Thread. 

Pretty obvious there is money to be made. 

No complaints from me when we hounded Dundee Unitit in a Scottish Cup tie in 1977 on a pitch where no blades of grass were standing. 

We have been good, bad and indifferent on varying surfaces over the decades that I have been watching. 

I much prefer to watch football played on grass rather than any form of Astro currently available.
The arguments for Astro are still inconclusive, we keep hearing about hosting concerts etc ? Where are these concerts ? QOTS have had one in five years . Add to that Queens have had TWO new pitches laid in that time , so can’t see any benefit in cost. And for good measure , queens lost over £100k last year and would have been higher the previous year if not for loans written off.
I would say the running of the club and relative success of the team has more to do with earning cash than the a plastic pitch
Add to the mix the growing concerns over potential links to cancer with these pitches , what does the future hold for this current generation of pitches if there is any link proven ?

I do think as technology progresses we may well see more artificial pitches in some form but the current ones in my opinion are only good for training (so long as they are proven to be safe) and fives etc.

8 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I much prefer to watch football played on grass rather than any form of Astro currently available.
The arguments for Astro are still inconclusive, we keep hearing about hosting concerts etc ? Where are these concerts ? QOTS have had one in five years . Add to that Queens have had TWO new pitches laid in that time , so can’t see any benefit in cost. And for good measure , queens lost over £100k last year and would have been higher the previous year if not for loans written off.
I would say the running of the club and relative success of the team has more to do with earning cash than the a plastic pitch
Add to the mix the growing concerns over potential links to cancer with these pitches , what does the future hold for this current generation of pitches if there is any link proven ?

I do think as technology progresses we may well see more artificial pitches in some form but the current ones in my opinion are only good for training (so long as they are proven to be safe) and fives etc.

Exactly at 400K to instal that's a hell of a lot of concerts that never happen !!!