Getting Close To £30 Admission Fee At St Mirren Park.

shull

9 hours ago, BaldyOzBud said:

Ridiculous point, the game is not played on the sidelines.

I was referring to the tweet which suggested installing artificial turf ON the sidelines. That's why I say it makes no difference. I wasn't suggesting we carry it onto the park!

• 1 year later...

Personally I don't like artificial pitch surfaces, have played on a few(mainly through playing rugby) and always felt better playing on proper turf and grass pitch- I do think we will eventually need to look at synthetic/hybrid surfaces(as most clubs will) but feel that they aren't quite at the stage of being a real alternative to real grass surfaces. Anyone care to lambast my views or just disagree?

On 7/1/2017 at 11:40 PM, BaldyOzBud said:

Yes the hybrid pitches like those at Arsenal and Murrayfield are reportedly great playing surfaces but are very expensive.

If we were to go down the "artificial " route then hybrid would be the one. 

(Our present grass pitch is great) 

Personally I don't like artificial pitch surfaces, have played on a few(mainly through playing rugby) and always felt better playing on proper turf and grass pitch- I do think we will eventually need to look at synthetic/hybrid surfaces(as most clubs will) but feel that they aren't quite at the stage of being a real alternative to real grass surfaces. Anyone care to lambast my views or just disagree?

No need to lambast, we’ve managed on grass since the inception of the game.

No need to change that.

If people want to raise revenue ? Explore other avenues and if they want to rent out an artificial pitch ? Lay it elsewhere outside the stadium.

On 9/26/2016 at 11:06 AM, Stuart Dickson said:

I'd agree with it. With proper utilisation it would be a superb way to raise revenue. There are grants available for the conversion too although I wouldn't want to see the club go down that route without proper tie ins with local juvenile clubs to ensure proper community benefit.

The only downside is litter. Whenever our kids played at The Excelsior or New Douglas Park there was always a great deal of litter in the stands. I presume this is because clubs weren't taking ownership of their after match clean ups.

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

We have a great playing surface so no need for plastic - what's the business case as that's what it would boil down to ?

Read the whole Thread. 

Pretty obvious there is money to be made. 

No complaints from me when we hounded Dundee Unitit in a Scottish Cup tie in 1977 on a pitch where no blades of grass were standing. 

We have been good, bad and indifferent on varying surfaces over the decades that I have been watching. 

I much prefer to watch football played on grass rather than any form of Astro currently available.
The arguments for Astro are still inconclusive, we keep hearing about hosting concerts etc ? Where are these concerts ? QOTS have had one in five years . Add to that Queens have had TWO new pitches laid in that time , so can’t see any benefit in cost. And for good measure , queens lost over £100k last year and would have been higher the previous year if not for loans written off.
I would say the running of the club and relative success of the team has more to do with earning cash than the a plastic pitch
Add to the mix the growing concerns over potential links to cancer with these pitches , what does the future hold for this current generation of pitches if there is any link proven ?

I do think as technology progresses we may well see more artificial pitches in some form but the current ones in my opinion are only good for training (so long as they are proven to be safe) and fives etc.

8 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I much prefer to watch football played on grass rather than any form of Astro currently available.
The arguments for Astro are still inconclusive, we keep hearing about hosting concerts etc ? Where are these concerts ? QOTS have had one in five years . Add to that Queens have had TWO new pitches laid in that time , so can’t see any benefit in cost. And for good measure , queens lost over £100k last year and would have been higher the previous year if not for loans written off.
I would say the running of the club and relative success of the team has more to do with earning cash than the a plastic pitch
Add to the mix the growing concerns over potential links to cancer with these pitches , what does the future hold for this current generation of pitches if there is any link proven ?

I do think as technology progresses we may well see more artificial pitches in some form but the current ones in my opinion are only good for training (so long as they are proven to be safe) and fives etc.

Exactly at 400K to instal that's a hell of a lot of concerts that never happen !!!

Exactly at 400K to instal that's a hell of a lot of concerts that never happen !!!

Queens make money from the former Tesco store next door which was effectively donated to them , they turned it into indoor training , sevens footy etc and that’s what keeps them going , not concerts and renting their pitch out.
Would be great to see a similar set up at st.mirren

http://www.qosfc.com/arena

4 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Queens make money from the former Tesco store next door which was effectively donated to them , they turned it into indoor training , sevens footy etc and that’s what keeps them going , not concerts and renting their pitch out.
Would be great to see a similar set up at st.mirren

http://www.qosfc.com/arena

Indeed but that's a different thing from merely installing a plastic pitch. Could do that and retain a grass playing surface if you had the land and / or money.

• 2 weeks later...