Scotland v Lithuania - 8 October 2016

southsidebud

Looking forward to this game now. 3 points here sets us up for probably the two hardest games of the group.

I'll be taking the wee man to his first Scotland game at Hampden and I've been trying to prepare him for the difference in atmosphere and scale to the saints games - but I still expect him to be gobsmacked! :)

Hopefully we'll go with more than one up front and get a decent win

It'll be interesting, and at least we have a platform to build from with the 3 points and goal difference on the board. I've been a regular at the international qualifiers since the Euro 2000 qualification attempt, and went to sporadic games before that, so have seen optimism crushed previously several times, but I genuinely think if they get their act together this time then there is a chance of qualification.

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon " Rude " Strachan says that was the best his Team has played, in the second half. :lol:

There must be a Manager out there who can turn these players into a decent Team.

Even picking the correct Team would be a start .

Before Tuesday please.

2 hours ago, shull said:

Gordon " Rude " Strachan says that was the best his Team has played, in the second half. :lol:

There must be a Manager out there who can turn these players into a decent Team.

Even picking the correct Team would be a start .

Before Tuesday please.

What is this "correct team'..............................everyone's an expert..................oh, wait, forgot what forum we're on. :lol:

16 hours ago, windae cleaner said:
16 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

He was poor there as well

Big improvement needed on Tue

Martin had scored in his previous 2 games for Scotland, albeit against weak opposition.

we have bemoaned the fact we've not had anybody who can stick them away against diddy teams for years.

I happen to think Martin is limited but Strachan see's him fitting into the team more than some other players.

I also like Griffiths but he's also dropped for big Champions League games my his own club.

It was a bad night, could name quite a few but no real point.

Certainly increases the pressure in the next game.

Edited by faraway saint

13 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

This was very poor.

It may have been very poor but shite happens sometimes lok at tonight for example italy 31 places qbove us in fifa rankings are drawing with macedonia who are 40 odd places below lithuania with 8 mins to go. Wales who made last 4 of euros drew with georgia shite happens some times 

3 hours ago, Clydebanksaint said:

It may have been very poor but shite happens sometimes lok at tonight for example italy 31 places qbove us in fifa rankings are drawing with macedonia who are 40 odd places below lithuania with 8 mins to go. Wales who made last 4 of euros drew with georgia shite happens some times 

Italy won in the end, something that good teams seem to manage even when playing poorly.  Scotland didn't deserve to win against  Lithuania but neither did they deserve to lose.

6 hours ago, ScotstounSaint said:
6 hours ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Yeah, 1-1 at half time against a team of part timers. Awesome.

Malta are not a part time team and the FINAL score was 1-5. :1eye

You don't really know what you're talking about do you? :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

8 hours ago, saintargyll said:

what date was the Malta game?

players can easily lose form 

Agreed, but we just binned a manager who was largely slaughtered for not having a system that worked.

Strachan feels players have a role to play and some are better in certain positions than others.

I would love to know these brilliant players we have who are not getting a game?

It well documented we don't have players that play at a high level week in week out so we have to make do with what we have.

The glory days are long gone I'm afraid. 

It was much easier to qualify in previous years due to the talent that was available.

PS I happen to agree we should play players in form but I'm not the manager of a national football team. :rolleyes:

Edited by faraway saint

11 hours ago, Clydebanksaint said:

Yep "Shit Happens"

Caught brief extracts from radio as don't have Sky etc and sounded like Scotland were lucky to draw. Then heard post match interview with Strachan who is a very rude man. Cannot understand why he gets such an easy ride from the press , probably because he lives in England I suppose and scarpers after each game.

Not in the least concerned or surprised by the latest failure from a bunch of players, many of whom don't even have the decency to represent their own country and instead deny real Scots the chance of pulling on the blue jersey.

Just as an aside, do others wonder why we in Scotland are able to watch Italy v Spain, England v Malta and even tonight Holland v France on tv, but are denied the chance to watch our own country ? That sums up the SFA.

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Malta are not a part time team and the FINAL score was 1-5. :1eye

You don't really know what you're talking about do you? :lol:

You've got some tone on you. You not getting any? 

Anyhow, some of the Maltese players are part time, thus I consider them a part time team. You consider them full time if you wish. They have one solitary player playing at a decent level, Schembri at Boavista. They are ranked 176th in the world. St Lucia, Cambodia and the Maldives are all ranked higher.

We were winning 2-1 when they went down to 10 men and we got a penalty. We were struggling, but if you think we were playing well and the same out of form players deserved to start the next game, fair enough. I don't. In my opinion Strachan is hopeless, but he appeals to the Tartan Army and that appears to be enough these days to get that job,

28 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

You've got some tone on you. You not getting any? 

Anyhow, some of the Maltese players are part time, thus I consider them a part time team. You consider them full time if you wish. They have one solitary player playing at a decent level, Schembri at Boavista. They are ranked 176th in the world. St Lucia, Cambodia and the Maldives are all ranked higher.

We were winning 2-1 when they went down to 10 men and we got a penalty. We were struggling, but if you think we were playing well and the same out of form players deserved to start the next game, fair enough. I don't. In my opinion Strachan is hopeless, but he appeals to the Tartan Army and that appears to be enough these days to get that job,

Getting any? :lol:

All that matters is, and ask any St Mirren supporter, if any of the "reasons" you quote matter if you win 5-1. 

Suppose the Tartan army don't count, it's your opinion that matters. :lol:

The National Manager gig must be one of the most frustrating ones going. You can't slate players, even in private, cause if you do they flounce off in the huff and refuse to play for their country again. As a result you land up having to give praise to a shite bunch of under achievers whilst waiting on our under achieving domestic clubs to produce one or two better players through their development structure that the SFA are ploughing all sports resources into, so you can dump a couple of the prima donnas in the squad.