asthma sufferers

beyond our ken

Isn't it amazing how many go on to be successful olympians.  i wonder how many are footballers. rugby players and others at the elite level?  Do they only find out they have asthma when they get access to the medical advice afforded to elite performers?  

I remeber Graham Fenlon almost collapsing during a game due to the effect of the cold on his asthma.  He must have been taking the wrong medicine, or maybe just visiting the wrong doctor.

Edited by beyond our ken
sp

No jesting from me

I am actually annoyed at the amount of cash we spend on ego trips in this country

To find that most elite cyclists and swimmers have TUE for asthma medication defies the logic of so much cash going in to these sports

There is no trickle down, look at the crap deal Edinburgh got or the velodrome upgrade,

Exercise-induced asthma is a well-recognised condition.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/exercise-induced-asthma/basics/definition/con-20033156

Factors that may increase the risk of the condition or act as triggers include:

• Cold air
  • Dry air
  • Air pollution
  • High pollen counts
  • Chlorine in swimming pools
  • Chemicals used with ice rink resurfacing equipment
  • Respiratory infections or other lung disease
  • Activities with extended periods of deep breathing, such as long-distance running, swimming or soccer
Edited by smcc

To summarise the wiggo  scenario

How are you wiggo?

A bit breathless, with the cycling and all

How do you feel about a big injection of powerful steroids, just before the biggest race of your life?

Well, if i'm sick? Ok.

No worries, need to keep you on a level playing field with those less  breathless, it,s only fair. Just ignore the extra power, it's just us making you the best you can be.

OK, I suppose this is just between us?

Absolutely, but be careful what you put in your book. We don't want to tarnish the legend.

Oh shit! I wrote that I feel great, it's already at the publisher.

No worries, no one with any brains will buy it. More lottery cash, sir?

24 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

To summarise the wiggo  scenario

How are you wiggo?

A bit breathless, with the cycling and all

How do you feel about a big injection of powerful steroids, just before the biggest race of your life?

Well, if i'm sick? Ok.

No worries, need to keep you on a level playing field with those less  breathless, it,s only fair. Just ignore the extra power, it's just us making you the best you can be.

OK, I suppose this is just between us?

Absolutely, but be careful what you put in your book. We don't want to tarnish the legend.

Oh shit! I wrote that I feel great, it's already at the publisher.

No worries, no one with any brains will buy it. More lottery cash, sir?

Maybe a wee bit cycnical. .

Ironically , this was brought to light by two Russian hackers , we all know that back in the days when the Olympics were still meant to be for amatuers , the Eastern Bloc competitors were not amatuer and were probably on all the performance enhancing kit you could think of . .

When my eldest was wee (pre-school and early primary) she had a few chesty coughs and occasional breathlessness. We took her to our GP who suggested she had asthma and wanted to prescribe a steroid type inhaler.

We weren't convinced. It didn't seem to be a chronic problem, and didn't have typical asthma symptoms (my sister suffered from the condition so I had first hand experience). We opted to leave the inhaler and monitor how she got on - obviously, if it didn't improve, we would revisit it. Anyway, she was absolutely fine for the most part, and didn't have any subsequent issues to speak of. She is now 22.

I wonder if there has been an over-readiness to diagnose asthma over the years. I appreciate that it can be a very dangerous (life threatening) condition, and not one to miss, but the use of steroid inhalers is a big deal, and can have complications over time.