St Mirren v Dunfermline

Langbank

3 hours ago, Bart Simpson said:

The fourth official seemed to talk to Clarke during the second half after a word with Ross. The commentators on Saints radio thought it may have been for wandering from the technical area. Must not have taken kindly to Jack's intervention (at least that was my reading of it).

It all kicked off after Nicky Clarke was booked.  Something got said and was reacted to, and it festered from the on.

Edited by saint in exile

I have to say I'm surprised at the general negativity and the way people saw today's game.

I especially do not get the "players aren't trying and/or don't care" line. 

Okay, obviously we're in a dire league position, but I really did not think our performance today deserved the criticism it's getting.

I only saw the highlights of the Dumbarton game, but was there today and last week, and I'd say for all three of those games we were the better team 

I'm clearly in a minority, but I've enjoyed large parts of the last two games, and feel when Morgan, Magennis, McAllister get on the ball they're doing what we've been lacking far too often in recent years - going forward.

Clearly results in the league games have gone against us, but we can either wallow in self-pity and fire out anger in every Saints-related direction, or we can support the team and management and hope that somehow we can win a game, and the talent that IS there can string a few results together - there is still a long way to go folks.

8 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Are you for real ? :huh:

You are totally ignoring the fact I wrote  was willing to put up more. Went onto write there needs to be a clear out in January with investment to the team from Gordon also.. if Gordon does not put up why should I. You got that now. This team have not given up the truth of the matter is they are not good enough as a unit. This team will be relegated if not overhauled. Will I be there next season if we go down. Yes. Will I still be a member of SMISA yes. 

58 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You are totally ignoring the fact I wrote  was willing to put up more. Went onto write there needs to be a clear out in January with investment to the team from Gordon also.. if Gordon does not put up why should I. You got that now. This team have not given up the truth of the matter is they are not good enough as a unit. This team will be relegated if not overhauled. Will I be there next season if we go down. Yes. Will I still be a member of SMISA yes. 

Hasn't Gordon already "put up" a considerable amount of cash? :huh:

So you're willing to put in another tenner or so. What are you expecting Gordon to put in? The same I presume?

11 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Are you for real ? :huh:

Scotstoun, he'll knows how that quote popped up. Anyway Gordon Scott took on the running of the club the majority share holder at this time. If there is no investment in January this club will be relegated with part time football made up of mostly of a under 20s team. Gates will tumble. Everything from the ground to the pitch will not be maintained as it should because a lack of money. It's a dark place where I have been before as a Saints fan like some others on this forum. Can remember a time when our gates were no more than 1,200. Is this where Gordon Scott wants to be because it will take years to get back up. As a young man living in Paisley middle  aged men would talk about there days going to Love Street. I would ask why don't you go now. Their answer , got fed up with it club has always been run wrongly. Don't want to see these days return mate. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Scotstoun, he'll knows how that quote popped up. Anyway Gordon Scott took on the running of the club the majority share holder at this time. If there is no investment in January this club will be relegated with part time football made up of mostly of a under 20s team. Gates will tumble. Everything from the ground to the pitch will not be maintained as it should because a lack of money. It's a dark place where I have been before as a Saints fan like some others on this forum. Can remember a time when our gates were no more than 1,200. Is this where Gordon Scott wants to be because it will take years to get back up. As a young man living in Paisley middle  aged men would talk about there days going to Love Street. I would ask why don't you go now. There answer , got fed up with it club has always been run wrongly. Don't want to see these days return mate. 

So your answer is to cancel your direct debit? 

11 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The goal we lost was horrible. A terrible floated cross straight to where Naismith was standing when the cross was hit, but Jason wasn't watching the ball at the time and chose to chase his man out of the box and left a gap, Baird gets pulled out of position trying to put in a last ditch challenge covering for Naismith and leaves a hole in the centre where Clark taps in what transpires to be the winner.

If Naismith had looked where the ball was and stayed put he would have had a really easy header and that would have been the end of the move that led to Dunfermline's goal.

Naismith was too quick to push out to the right but the entire defenc was a shambles in that passage of play. 

Dung had overloaded the back post and had 3 players right on Baird and Naismith, nobody doing any organising. Had Jason stayed they still had a great chance of winning that ball due to the man advantage. 

The initial cross didn't come in, the entire defence moved out apart from Baird who played 3 or 4 players onside. The defensive line was like a curly whirly but had Baird stepped up then the Dung players would have been offside or forced to move into a more congested area. 

Poor from Naismith but Baird was also poor, as was the general communication and organisation from the entire defence and keeper. 

Edited by davidg

27 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Isn't that what you said?

My direct debit will stay Kendo. If we were willing to top it up to add to the already spare 8 grand while Gordon also put up it might help by keeping our place in this league. Of course deep down I know it's  a pipe dream. Yes will always pay my monthly subscription.  If we get relegated really don't know how many games I will attend. It's a terrible journey home after watching poor football. The enjoyment is disappearing it really is. 

My direct debit will stay Kendo. If we were willing to top it up to add to the already spare 8 grand while Gordon also put up it might help by keeping our place in this league. Of course deep down I know it's  a pipe dream. Yes will always pay my monthly subscription.  If we get relegated really don't know how many games I will attend. It's a terrible journey home after watching poor football. The enjoyment is disappearing it really is. 

It's difficult on various levels, most obvious being that if you look to raise more money then some will complain that they didn't expect a call for cash 6 months in. But then again, from a greater good stance, you then stimulate those who do want to top up/generally just pay more. Gordon being at the top does mean he's the figurehead and obvious assumed provider, but then again as SMISA are in place then shouldn't we be an assumed % provider also. Is it a case of then Gordon saying he'll provide various levels if SMISA then provide X% on top? Obviously we didn't envisage going looking for major investment this early, but as a group looking to own the club in 10 years we could start now with additional.

With Ebbsfleet I proposed Float the Fleet and, whilst not rocket science, the same idea applies here. Basically looking at ways to offer benefits for investment. Anything from offering long term season tickets, to paying for a squad number, to a day training with the club or the board room experience and there'll be various other avenues. Even the simple task of opening the door to investment then sitting down to talk to fans individually or in a group and ask what they want for their £1, £10, £100, £1,000 or £10,000. Another obvious one, used elsewhere, would be the squad fund approach. You get in to difficulties there though, because keeping salary levels no matter how approximate in house would be tricky. Then again, would it need a level? Could it just be set up and run for a month to see how much is pledged/raise. Tied to all of that is the potential problem of focusing on too many areas, whilst at the moment most are wanting on the park investment anyway. Main point is that you never know who you'll uncover and by not asking you're potentially missing out.

12 hours ago, Kendo said:

As I said a few days ago. 

I thought we are much improved but lack a cutting edge. The old saying when you're down you're down springs to mind. 

We certainly didn't lack fight we had them pinned down for long periods. 

100% agree kendo, I think the lack of pace up top is killing us as well though, We need pace supporting Sutton, if Nicky Clark was on the opposite side yesterday I think we would of won that game, very fine margins.

Edited by JJ McG

JR says in one interview yesterday that his priorities have now changed regarding what player/s he would be looking for in the January window. He said the strikers we have are not scoring goals, even though they are experienced. This made me think is he going for a striker and midfield player, rather than the midfielder, and defender we originally needed. I also wonder who is leaving, besides 2 that I know about, because I would say we need to get rid of players who aren't playing enough. Unfortunately Rocco Quinn, Andy Webster would be on my list, but who knows?

1 minute ago, scabbydug37 said:

JR says in one interview yesterday that his priorities have now changed regarding what player/s he would be looking for in the January window. He said the strikers we have are not scoring goals, even though they are experienced. This made me think is he going for a striker and midfield player, rather than the midfielder, and defender we originally needed. I also wonder who is leaving, besides 2 that I know about, because I would say we need to get rid of players who aren't playing enough. Unfortunately Rocco Quinn, Andy Webster would be on my list, but who knows?

I take it that the two that are leaving are Walsh and Hardie.

13 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The two that Scabby dug is aware of.

Other than Walsh and Hardie, I really can't see any other player we could bin, except possibly Shankland, without incurring some sort of pay off cost.

True.  

Mind you i`m sure clubs will be queuing up to pay big money for Webster ,Clarkson, Hutton & Irvine which will release wages. 

30 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

At least at the end of the season, if we are relegated from the championship, some saints fans will still take comfort in their thoughts that "we were the better team".....

we are just "the better team" that somehow never wins!

I have to admit that this has the ring of truth, However - Let's see if our "luck" changes.

I was a sick as anyone on again on Saturday and agree with the great majority of what has been said.  I do believe that we  have the right manager in JR  and we musty give him time. There are no short term answers other than the players working their socks off to get the breaks that they have deserved in the games v Dumbarton and Dunfermline. Magennis and McAllister have done well in recent games and we need more youngsters coming through. It is the experienced players like Langfield, Naismith, Webster, Quinn and Clarkson who have let us down badly and need to be moved on. We are lethargic all over the park, but as painful as it is we must give the team and manager our full support during a period of change. There are many more rough Saturdays ahead but I still believe we will catch Dumbarton by the end of the season.

COYS

Edited by Bobbyreid