TV games...Ram it.

Had a season ticket for about 20 odd years but feck that. If the clubs and ruling bodies want to take the pittance and mess the fans about then fair enough...but i'm out. 2000 Saints fans and 345 Bairns :o. Doubt the blazers will give a rats arse though :angry:.

That was god awful yesterday and i'll pay as I go in future as they can shove their 5.15 KO where the sun don't shine. Same goes for the SFA. I've bought my ST for the qualifiers and next Sat is a 7.45 KO??? I've been going to games for 40 years and never been to a game at that time in my puff. Like I said it's their prerogative but I'm out. :double

Agree, the way the paying fan is treated is shocking. Chases fans away and ruins the aesthetic for tv with empty seats all over the ground. Trouble with anti social kick offs mean that many could not attend if they gave you free entry. f**kin joke as a spectacle and joke in terms of product promotion. Still a few quid from tv means the paying customer is shafted. In terms of ticket sales, season tickets especially, it's totally unfair. 

1 hour ago, Port Saint said:

Had a season ticket for about 20 odd years but feck that. If the clubs and ruling bodies want to take the pittance and mess the fans about then fair enough...but i'm out. 2000 Saints fans and 345 Bairns :o. Doubt the blazers will give a rats arse though :angry:.

That was god awful yesterday and i'll pay as I go in future as they can shove their 5.15 KO where the sun don't shine. Same goes for the SFA. I've bought my ST for the qualifiers and next Sat is a 7.45 KO??? I've been going to games for 40 years and never been to a game at that time in my puff. Like I said it's their prerogative but I'm out. :double

If you are referring to Scotland games, your right about 7.45 being unusual, it's usually 8.00 so not really sure what point your making there ? And the SFA have no say, Ko times are now dictated by UEFA. The Ko times were announced before the Scotland season ticket sales began. More mock outrage.

8 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Agree, the way the paying fan is treated is shocking. Chases fans away and ruins the aesthetic for tv with empty seats all over the ground. Trouble with anti social kick offs mean that many could not attend if they gave you free entry. f**kin joke as a spectacle and joke in terms of product promotion. Still a few quid from tv means the paying customer is shafted. In terms of ticket sales, season tickets especially, it's totally unfair. 

It would be almost acceptable if we made money from Alba but we don't.  Had yesterday's game been played at 1500 then the crowd would likely have been around the 3000 mark, instead we lose out on around 500-600 paying spectators.  Whatever money we get from Alba in no way covers the loss at the gate.

23 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

If you are referring to Scotland games, your right about 7.45 being unusual, it's usually 8.00 so not really sure what point your making there ? And the SFA have no say, Ko times are now dictated by UEFA. The Ko times were announced before the Scotland season ticket sales began. More mock outrage.

Is that right Bud ? (Genuine question) 8:00 K.O on a Saturday night is normal ? If thats so then i agree with the OP that is a f**kin joke.

No doubt I'll buck the trend here but I really enjoyed the 5.15pm kick off. As a result it meant my son and I missed any of the usual traffic at Ibrox and it was a very pleasant drive through. We were also able to enjoy watching the midday match on Sky before even contemplating leaving the house. And whilst those with season tickets might well be a bit unhappy with the kick off times being moved around, but these contracts were all in place long before season tickets went on sale. Surely to f**k everyone buying a season ticket knew by now that matches get moved for TV coverage, and that the First Division is covered by Alba. It's not a novelty after all. 

Secondly the fact that Alba pay very little to cover the games is only part of the story. St Mirren, and all those other Championship Clubs were very happy to charge track side advertisers premium rates for spaces where their advertising board might just feature on telly. These clubs were also delighted to get sponsorship money from Ladbrokes and from Barrs, neither of which may have been keen on the product at all if it wasn't for TV Coverage. I also remember at the start of the season seeing complaints that the Championship was no longer being covered in depth by Sportscene because "Rangers" were no longer in the Championship. 

Yup. That's me. I have a season ticket and could have made a 3pm kick off. Due to work, I could neither attend the game or watch it on TV.
Cheers BBC/SFA. This type of tv deal is destroying our game.....

No doubt I'll buck the trend here but I really enjoyed the 5.15pm kick off. As a result it meant my son and I missed any of the usual traffic at Ibrox and it was a very pleasant drive through. We were also able to enjoy watching the midday match on Sky before even contemplating leaving the house. And whilst those with season tickets might well be a bit unhappy with the kick off times being moved around, but these contracts were all in place long before season tickets went on sale. Surely to f**k everyone buying a season ticket knew by now that matches get moved for TV coverage, and that the First Division is covered by Alba. It's not a novelty after all. 

Secondly the fact that Alba pay very little to cover the games is only part of the story. St Mirren, and all those other Championship Clubs were very happy to charge track side advertisers premium rates for spaces where their advertising board might just feature on telly. These clubs were also delighted to get sponsorship money from Ladbrokes and from Barrs, neither of which may have been keen on the product at all if it wasn't for TV Coverage. I also remember at the start of the season seeing complaints that the Championship was no longer being covered in depth by Sportscene because "Rangers" were no longer in the Championship. 

Yeah. That's right Stuart. I bought my season ticket in June, knowing that this game's timing would be changed 2 months after that.
Seriously. f**k off.

For more years than I care to remember I have feared the consequences of Scottish Football chasing the TV cash cow. Doncaster still has it as his solo aim.

Fact is... at some point in the probably not too distant future that cash stream will dry up.

Clubs daft enough to rely on it as part of their essential budgeted income will be left high and dry.

The fact that so many clubs have acquiesced to the chasing of the TV cash cow at the expense of looking at ways of building up the paying customer base has only served to compound the folly.

When TV cash disappears then clubs will be desperate for paying customers... who will no longer be going due to being so pissed off at clubs chasing TV cash! What irony.

Any chance clubs could start to put fans first? Reduce admission prices and look at how the whole match day experience can become an enjoyable one irrespective of the actual match?

5.15pm may have suited you Stuart... but the best of a sunny day for what may have resembled Summer football had passed by the end of the match and on getting home and having dinner, it was straight to bed for me as I was working Sunday. Not a huge hardship and probably less so that changing to a Friday or Sunday kick off once work rotas have been made... having been planned around fixture lists that are then changed... but a bit of a pain nonetheless.

The changing to a Friday or Sunday at relatively short notice is much more of a hardship. Due to a certain team having managed to buy its way up another division that is not such an issue this season... but it only serves to highlight what an inconvenience supporters truly are when TV cash is the main objective.

TV cash should be treated as supplementary income, not essential core funding! Clubs will die for having chased the former! Guaranteed.

Edited by BuddieinEK

Yeah. That's right Stuart. I bought my season ticket in June, knowing that this game's timing would be changed 2 months after that.

Seriously. f**k off.

You knew that the SPFL had a contract with BBC Alba which meant matches could be moved. You also should have known through experience that there is never any guarantee of a 3pm Saturday kick off and that matches are moved for International weekends or for weather reasons. Yet knowing all that you bought the ticket despite the fact that if a fixture was moved you might not be able to make it. I'd say you were the fool in this scenario.

My two sons are in the same position. They too renewed season tickets despite having been frustrated last season, particularly with the late postponement of a match where had they not held a season ticket they wouldn't have travelled. I reminded them of this before the renewed. They renewed anyway so more fool them.

It would be almost acceptable if we made money from Alba but we don't.  Had yesterday's game been played at 1500 then the crowd would likely have been around the 3000 mark, instead we lose out on around 500-600 paying spectators.  Whatever money we get from Alba in no way covers the loss at the gate.

The money we get from Alba probably didn't cover the additional cost we had of switching on the floodlights for a later game [emoji53]

For more years than I care to remember I have feared the consequences of Scottish Football chasing the TV cash cow. Doncaster still has it as his solo aim.

Fact is... at some point in the probably not too distant future that cash stream will dry up.

Clubs daft enough to rely on it as part of their essential budgeted income will be left high and dry.

The fact that so many clubs have acquiesced to the chasing of the TV cash cow at the expense of looking at ways of building up the paying customer base has only served to compound the folly.

When TV cash disappears then clubs will be desperate for paying customers... who will no longer be going due to being so pissed off at clubs chasing TV cash! What irony.

Any chance clubs could start to put fans first? Reduce admission prices and look at how the whole match day experience can become an enjoyable one irrespective of the actual match?

5.15pm may have suited you Stuart... but the best of a sunny day for what may have resembled Summer football had passed by the end of the match and on getting home and having dinner, it was straight to bed for me as I was working Sunday. Not a huge hardship and probably less so that changing to a Friday or Sunday kick off once work rotas have been made... having been planned around fixture lists that are then changed... but a bit of a pain nonetheless.

The changing to a Friday or Sunday at relatively short notice is much more of a hardship. Due to a certain team having managed to buy its way up another division that is not such an issue this season... but it only serves to highlight what an inconvenience supporters truly are when TV cash is the main objective.

TV cash should be treated as supplementary income, not essential core funding! Clubs will die for having chased the former! Guaranteed.

Aye probably. The problem Brian is that fans are mugs and Football chairmen know it. Look at the "event" promised to angry fans moved for the last game of last season. Now the furore has passed and season tickets have been renewed the "event" appears to have been quietly dropped. Did anyone actually fail to renew their ticket?

Similarly the Paisley 10k. Fans sign up to beat the chairman to get free tickets to the match, now passed, against QoS. Yet despite beating him and registering their details it seems none got their tickets.

Year in year out fans complain about late postponements, rearranged fixtures, shite quality, overpricing and a general lack of consideration or respect from their clubs yet year after year the respond to a bullshit rallying call from a chairman telling them that despite how shite everything has been they'll promise to really try next season. Yet still they buy season tickets.

If fans continue to believe there is kudos in being mugs those running the game will continue to take them for granted

Scotland have NEVER played a home qualifier at 8pm on a Saturday. I buy my membership every campaign but have not purchased a season ticket for the last couple due to UEFA's "football week".

The sad state of affairs is that I know a great many Scotland fans that aren't travelling next Saturday because they will simply get home too late due to where the they come from.

I myself have chosen to give it a miss as I have better things to do with my Saturday night. Just like Saturday past when almost 1,000 other Buddies did likewise.

No outrage, mock or otherwise, just disappointment at a continuing trend where fans are treated poorly to squeeze another few quid from TV.

1 hour ago, DLBud said:

Scotland have NEVER played a home qualifier at 8pm on a Saturday. I buy my membership every campaign but have not purchased a season ticket for the last couple due to UEFA's "football week".

The sad state of affairs is that I know a great many Scotland fans that aren't travelling next Saturday because they will simply get home too late due to where the they come from.

I myself have chosen to give it a miss as I have better things to do with my Saturday night. Just like Saturday past when almost 1,000 other Buddies did likewise.

No outrage, mock or otherwise, just disappointment at a continuing trend where fans are treated poorly to squeeze another few quid from TV.

Not on a Saturday but midweek used to be 8.00 regularly so no real surprise that Saturday evening is now a UEFA preferred option to accomodate live TV. Not saying it's good or bad (I'm going) but it wasn't a surprise, the KO times were annonced at the same time as the fixtures and before ticket sales started.

21 hours ago, Port Saint said:

Like you a season ticket holder and at times very frustrating. Normally would have attended the Dunfermline and Falkirk games but due to 17.15 kick off times can't make it as the chance of missing the last ferry. Would love to know what our club gains financially ? Have a feeling not a lot as Stuart Gilmour was in the press last week being very critical of the Alba deal.

St mirren need me and you mate as well as every other season ticket holder it helps set a player budget during close season. Why hurt the club when it has nothing to do with us.      

I wasn't at the game. I would have been there had it kicked off at 3pm,but my personal circumstances dictated that 5.15pm just didn't work for me.

I pay at the gate, so there is £20 lost to the club.

The change of time is a piece of nonsense. If I were a ST holder, I'd have stronger grounds to be pissed off.  Hardly an incentive to encourage me to buy a ST again in the future.

1 hour ago, DLBud said:

But they would go if it was a midweek game kicking off at the same time?

It wasn't that long ago that international games were played on Wednesday nights and it was unusual when there was a Saturday 3pm kick off.  Even now with the week of football it'll be rare for the games to be on at the weekend.  I'm sure if it was a "big" team the same folk would attend.  I guess it's a matter of choice and priorities but i think blaming the kick off time when its the only  home competitive game in 2016 is a bit crap.

38 minutes ago, renfrew said:

I am sure SG said at a Q&A last season we got 5K a game from BBC Alba.

By my arithmetic, that's about 250 full price pay at the gate punters. Tight margins and very little potential gain, certainly. I suspect that Falkirk would also have brought a bigger support if it was a standard, non-televised 3pm KO.

Edited by Drew

Yup it's a kind of lose lose to an extent. As you say suggest if 500 more attended to pay at the gate there's circa some 10k right there. So 5k for a TV game and horrible off peak spectacle versus 3pm and maybe 500 on the gate. Pathetic margins but that's where we are now, fiddling around the margins. Next thing you know someone will bob along to promote plastic pitches as an earner.

By my arithmetic, that's about 250 full price pay at the gate punters. Tight margins and very little potential gain, certainly. I suspect that Falkirk would also have brought a bigger support if it was a standard, non-televised 3pm KO.

1st time that Falkirk fans were put into the west stand since the club knew their support would be a lot less as normal. Just as our away support was a few hundreds less at Dunfermline we can expect a low turnout of them at our next telly game [emoji107]

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Not on a Saturday but midweek used to be 8.00 regularly so no real surprise that Saturday evening is now a UEFA preferred option to accomodate live TV. Not saying it's good or bad (I'm going) but it wasn't a surprise, the KO times were annonced at the same time as the fixtures and before ticket sales started.

What about the families that will have to choose between missing the match or experiencing the "unique" atmosphere of a Glasgow Saturday night as they make their way home.  I certainly would not take my kids to that match.

This is what will kill the game, making it hard for kids to get the bug.

5 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

What about the families that will have to choose between missing the match or experiencing the "unique" atmosphere of a Glasgow Saturday night as they make their way home.  I certainly would not take my kids to that match.

As I say it's not up to the SFA it's UEFA dictationg KO times. I've taken my son to several evening KO's at Hampden - no better or worse than a midweek game in Paisley and certainly better for kids a Sat eve KO than midweek school nights.

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

The grounds not exactly in the city centre.  Mount Florida on a Saturday night is hardly Beirut