TV games...Ram it.

But they would go if it was a midweek game kicking off at the same time?

It wasn't that long ago that international games were played on Wednesday nights and it was unusual when there was a Saturday 3pm kick off.  Even now with the week of football it'll be rare for the games to be on at the weekend.  I'm sure if it was a "big" team the same folk would attend.  I guess it's a matter of choice and priorities but i think blaming the kick off time when its the only  home competitive game in 2016 is a bit crap.

It wasn't me that mentioned midweek games. Midweek internationals have always kicked off 7.30-8pm in my 40 odd years of watching Scotland. This was about Saturday matches and and unprecedented 8pm kick off.

The Italy and France games at Hampden under McLeish were he first Saturday games, to my memory, that weren't 3pm KO's but since that campaign we've had Friday nights and Sunday afternoons and 3pm starts are almost gone completely.

The Falkirk game and this Saturday's Lithuania match represent the first time in my adult life I've made a decision not to go to a Saints/Scotland game without some other event being the reason and the shitty KO times are a big factor.

St Mirren Park saw one of its smallest crowds for a league match on Saturday night and, despite this being Scotland's only home game of the campaign in 2016, I fear Hampden will see similar spaces that just wouldn't be there at 3pm the same day, big team or not.

16 minutes ago, Brian1877 said:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

The grounds not exactly in the city centre.  Mount Florida on a Saturday night is hardly Beirut

For most people, a trip by bus or  train will take you via the city centre.  Parking is not great around Hampden, as someone who works in the area i would not want to be around many parts of Mount Florida, Battlefield or Cathcart as I made my way back to the car at 22:00 on a Saturday night.

I realise you never mentioned midweek games but my point was that surely its better for kids or people in general to go to hampden for a saturday evening kick-off than a tuesday or wednesday evening when people have school and work the next day, especially if you are travelling from Aberdeen or Dundee.

The first game of the last campaign was a 5pm kick off at Ibrox and there were 10-15k empty seats.

I can see the point more with St Mirren when we are playing every week and folk can't be bothered with the inconvenience of the later time but if there is only one home game at hampden this  year is it really that big a deal for the kick off to be later, especially when its uefa/fifa that dictate and nothing to do with sfa.  

If the team has a successful campaign then folk will be on complaining when they can't get a ticket, no matter what the kick off time is. (Scotland that is not St Mirren)

2 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

For most people, a trip by bus or  train will take you via the city centre.  Parking is not great around Hampden, as someone who works in the area i would not want to be around many parts of Mount Florida, Battlefield or Cathcart as I made my way back to the car at 22:00 on a Saturday night.

Why?

The council run very frequent buses from hampden to central never found it a problem. Even drinking around hampden is not bad. Tell you what I nearly got my as kicked at Paisley taxi rank after a St Mirren game on a Tuesday night. Div showing up to share a private taxi is what saved me.

I presume all the folks complaining about games being moved for TV have never watched a game on TV at lunchtime or dinner time on a Saturday, or any time on a Sunday? Showing solidarity to the supporters of those clubs who are inconvenienced? Or OK to watch games on TV as long as St Mirren games aren't moved for it?

20 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

If you are referring to Scotland games, your right about 7.45 being unusual, it's usually 8.00 so not really sure what point your making there ? And the SFA have no say, Ko times are now dictated by UEFA. The Ko times were announced before the Scotland season ticket sales began. More mock outrage.

Saturday games for Scotland have never been 1945 KO, Latest Sat KO I remember was 1715.

4 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Really? 

Not being funny, but my car has been broken into four times at St Mirren matches in Paisley over the years. One year the thieves stole a rubber duck. Another year they stole my baby seat. In all my years of going to watch Scotland or Queens Park and parking at many different locations around the ground I've never once had a problem with my car - albeit for the Poland game I did make sure I parked under a CCTV camera at the Toryglen side of the ground cause that felt a bit dodgy. I find it quite funny that someone would happily take their child to Ferguslie Park at any time of the day to watch football, but would recoil in the horror at the idea of taking their child to Mount Florida, Battlefield, Cathcart, Queens Park or Shawlands for that matter. 

5 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Really? 

Not being funny, but my car has been broken into four times at St Mirren matches in Paisley over the years. One year the thieves stole a rubber duck. Another year they stole my baby seat. In all my years of going to watch Scotland or Queens Park and parking at many different locations around the ground I've never once had a problem with my car - albeit for the Poland game I did make sure I parked under a CCTV camera at the Toryglen side of the ground cause that felt a bit dodgy. I find it quite funny that someone would happily take their child to Ferguslie Park at any time of the day to watch football, but would recoil in the horror at the idea of taking their child to Mount Florida, Battlefield, Cathcart, Queens Park or Shawlands for that matter. 

That explains a lot

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Not on a Saturday but midweek used to be 8.00 regularly so no real surprise that Saturday evening is now a UEFA preferred option to accomodate live TV. Not saying it's good or bad (I'm going) but it wasn't a surprise, the KO times were annonced at the same time as the fixtures and before ticket sales started.

Well if the ko times were stated before the tickets went on sale i must have missed it in the emails I'm sent. My fault... I'm going but It"ll be PAYG in the future for me. They can still Ram it as has been stated we haven"t played a home tie at that time on a Saturday before. Mock outrage? WTF are you on about? I'm only a supporter who has season tickets for his club and country and decided he's had enough.

Going by the attendance from both Saints and Falkirk fans on Saturday I'm not alone. :whistle

1 hour ago, Thorizaar said:

I presume all the folks complaining about games being moved for TV have never watched a game on TV at lunchtime or dinner time on a Saturday, or any time on a Sunday? Showing solidarity to the supporters of those clubs who are inconvenienced? Or OK to watch games on TV as long as St Mirren games aren't moved for it?

Given we've had games moved to Friday night, Saturday lunchtime, Sunday lunchtime, Sunday afternoon and now 5.15pm on a Saturday, in my opinion the latter is the most inconvenient. Since we've got another of these teatime Saturday matches next month giving us 3 in 2 months, I trust the other teams in the league will be similarly shafted to suit BBC Alba over the remainder of the season. Wait a minute while I hold my breath....

On the subject of the international matches, I live about a mile from Hampden and sometimes toddle along when there's a game on. Upon checking the SFA website recently I found tickets for the South Stand were £45 for the Lithuania game including booking fee and postage - after picking myself up off the floor I decided not to bother. The Saturday evening kick off at Hampden doesn't bother me, the bare-faced fleecing of supporters by Regan and his pals certainly does.

1 hour ago, Thorizaar said:

Looked at them if it was a big or decent game yes. But wouldn't give a rats arse if they weren't on. TBH it would prob encourage me to go to more games.

11 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Given we've had games moved to Friday night, Saturday lunchtime, Sunday lunchtime, Sunday afternoon and now 5.15pm on a Saturday, in my opinion the latter is the most inconvenient. Since we've got another of these teatime Saturday matches next month giving us 3 in 2 months, I trust the other teams in the league will be similarly shafted to suit BBC Alba over the remainder of the season. Wait a minute while I hold my breath....

On the subject of the international matches, I live about a mile from Hampden and sometimes toddle along when there's a game on. Upon checking the SFA website recently I found tickets for the South Stand were £45 for the Lithuania game including booking fee and postage - after picking myself up off the floor I decided not to bother. The Saturday evening kick off at Hampden doesn't bother me, the bare-faced fleecing of supporters by Regan and his pals certainly does.

Tickets still available for £30!!!!

If you stay beside Hampden why not save yourself the postage.  I got my tickets for the South stand for £37.

£30 for a competitive Scotland game at Hampden versus £20 for St Mirren v Dumbarton, i know which one i would consider better value for money but don't let that stop you moaning about the ticket prices. 

The problem here is we get £5,000 from Alba with a home gate of 2,000 home fans. We lost money so it's not good for the club. The older deal was far better with Alba the game kicks off at 3pm Alba show the whole game at 17.15 gates when that was done were not down. As for Sky and BT they pay clubs a whole lot more.

11 hours ago, Brian1877 said:

Tickets still available for £30!!!!

If you stay beside Hampden why not save yourself the postage.  I got my tickets for the South stand for £37.

£30 for a competitive Scotland game at Hampden versus £20 for St Mirren v Dumbarton, i know which one i would consider better value for money but don't let that stop you moaning about the ticket prices. 

£30 to sit/stand behind the goal at Hampden for Scotland vs Lithuania is not anything like value for money in my opinion when the game is being televised. £20 tops and £25 in the South stand would be plenty. £20 for Championship football is also too high but I don't mind giving the cash to SMFC whereas the SFA can go forth and multiply.

We'll see how many turn up for this game and those against Slovenia and Slovakia where the prices are the same.

It would be an idea for SMFC to start thinking about how to market/price the Dunfermline home game which is being shown on Alba at 5.15 - reduced price tickets, 2 for 1 offer or 2 game ticket for £25, something like that.

Edited by Al Bundy

I would guess between 35-40k for game on Saturday.

Ticket prices for this qualifying campaign are actually marginally less than previous one (with obvious exception of the England game).

I guess its a matter of opinion re value for money.  I'm happy to pay £37 to see Scotland playing at Hampden in a competitive fixture a couple of times a year.  I'm much less inclined to pay £20 to see St Mirren playing cause the standard of football is shite.  One of the reasons i play in the dome regularly is to contribute to the club without having to waste my Saturday afternoons getting depressed.