Welcome Jack Ross

18 minutes ago, habbiesaint said:

So the only chance of silverware in the next few years against the championship favourites isn't a big cup tie? 

How can you say for sure ? 

Anyway , it's a tournament that is now affectively pre season friendlys . 

For this reason (and many more ) , I won't be in attendance .

Remember when Allen and I were doing the Love Street DVD. We were in the empty ground about 3 o'clock one day and there was one guy out on the pitch just crossing balls from wide, then going to get them and doing it all again.

Asked Tommy the groundsman who it was, yes, it was Jack Ross out there on his own.

If he can bring that attitude as manger he will do very well.

Mon the Saints!

So what you mean is be negative even before a ball is kicked.

This is a time to get right behind the new manager and team especially to bring back much needed confidence , get confidence we will do ok.   

As I said beforehand, I will be behind the new manager whoever it is, saying the same thing Ive said after every appointment since Gus left. As with every manager before him and after him he will live and die in the role simply by the results he delivers. If he keeps us up this season that will be relative success and he should be given the close season to build his own team. Just like Rae did and was. I would take 8th this season right now to be honest, and then see where we go from there in the summer.

Back to Jack... Em, he was a pretty good player for St Mirren? signed by wee Baldy of course, (don't mention the cup final bonus row though). Since he retired he's been assistant at Dumbarton, youth coach at Hearts - where he was sacked in pretty mysterious circumstances ( http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/155235-jack-ross-leaves-hearts-title-updated/page-2# ) and manager at Alloa. ETA has it ever been clarified exactly what happened at Hearts?

Anyway, he took over Alloa they were 10th in the Championship and he leaves them in 3rd in League 1. That tenure certainly couldn't be dressed up as a success by anyone, other than the unquantifiable ' oh but he had them playing better '. The facts tell you he failed to get them even close to 9th last season and this season Alloa have stayed behind Livi and been overtaken by Brechin.

I've read a lot of posts on here and other social media saying ' breath of fresh air, an up and coming manager, just what we need, buzzing ' etc etc. Every single one of those things was said when Ian Murray was appointed, by the same people too. The reality is Ian Murray was actually far less of a gamble than this appointment is. At least Murray had experience of managing a full season in the Championship and keeping a team up in it, Ross doesn't.

The appointment reeks of a desperate punt from our chairman after he failed to get his 3 preferred targets (Davies Hughes and Warnock). As anyone who pays any attention to my posts will know, I was no fan of Rae and advocated his sacking for 2 or 3 weeks before he was rinsed. If i knew then what I know now though, if I knew we were going to sack him to take a punt on a rookie, I would have given him more time.

However, none of that really matters now, Jack Ross is our manager. There's simply no way of any of us knowing whether he will succeed or fail. We all need to give him a chance and it's then up to him take that chance.

If he takes it he could be the first St Mirren manager since the 1980's to take an upward step after leaving us. If he doesn't he will be the latest name on our ever growing managerial scrap heap, and we will likely be in the 3rd tier for the first time in our 139 year history. No time for a honeymoon period either, we are bottom of the league and we need wins quickly. Over to you Jack.

8 hours ago, TopCat said:

As I said beforehand, I will be behind the new manager whoever it is, saying the same thing Ive said after every appointment since Gus left. As with every manager before him and after him he will live and die in the role simply by the results he delivers. If he keeps us up this season that will be relative success and he should be given the close season to build his own team. Just like Rae did and was. I would take 8th this season right now to be honest, and then see where we go from there in the summer.

Back to Jack... Em, he was a pretty good player for St Mirren? signed by wee Baldy of course, (don't mention the cup final bonus row though). Since he retired he's been assistant at Dumbarton, youth coach at Hearts - where he was sacked in pretty mysterious circumstances ( http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/155235-jack-ross-leaves-hearts-title-updated/page-2# ) and manager at Alloa. ETA has it ever been clarified exactly what happened at Hearts?

Anyway, he took over Alloa they were 10th in the Championship and he leaves them in 3rd in League 1. That tenure certainly couldn't be dressed up as a success by anyone, other than the unquantifiable ' oh but he had them playing better '. The facts tell you he failed to get them even close to 9th last season and this season Alloa have stayed behind Livi and been overtaken by Brechin.

I've read a lot of posts on here and other social media saying ' breath of fresh air, an up and coming manager, just what we need, buzzing ' etc etc. Every single one of those things was said when Ian Murray was appointed, by the same people too. The reality is Ian Murray was actually far less of a gamble than this appointment is. At least Murray had experience of managing a full season in the Championship and keeping a team up in it, Ross doesn't.

The appointment reeks of a desperate punt from our chairman after he failed to get his 3 preferred targets (Davies Hughes and Warnock). As anyone who pays any attention to my posts will know, I was no fan of Rae and advocated his sacking for 2 or 3 weeks before he was rinsed. If i knew then what I know now though, if I knew we were going to sack him to take a punt on a rookie, I would have given him more time.

However, none of that really matters now, Jack Ross is our manager. There's simply no way of any of us knowing whether he will succeed or fail. We all need to give him a chance and it's then up to him take that chance.

If he takes it he could be the first St Mirren manager since the 1980's to take an upward step after leaving us. If he doesn't he will be the latest name on our ever growing managerial scrap heap, and we will likely be in the 3rd tier for the first time in our 139 year history. No time for a honeymoon period either, we are bottom of the league and we need wins quickly. Over to you Jack.

This has got to be the most bitter post I have ever read from you Top Cat. Ok get Ross was not top of your list but to go on a Stuart Dickson style witch hunt with Ross is well below your normal standard. Give it a rest mate get behind the manager and team and lets see what unfolds over the next few months ( not weeks )

4 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

This has got to be the most bitter post I have ever read from you Top Cat. Ok get Ross was not top of your list but to go on a Stuart Dickson style witch hunt with Ross is well below your normal standard. Give it a rest mate get behind the manager and team and lets see what unfolds over the next few months ( not weeks )

Not bitter at all.

Just being realistic.

We have got what we can afford and we wish him all the best.

COSMFC

As I clearly say in the post I am behind him and I will give him a chance. Infact I will say now I think he should get the rest of the season no matter what.

However, you and I both know that if we are still bottom come January there will be people on here calling for his head. Some of the same people who are happy with his appointment today. Just like happened with Murray.

Pushing to why he was sacked at Hearts is realistic along with the other negative points. Shull drugs dont work mate.

I couldn't have cared less why he was sacked at Hearts before today.

As he is now St Mirren manager I would like to know why he left a previous role in football. You think that's unreasonable? Why?

4 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Didn't Albert Einstein once say that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? Well I might not be as smart as him, but I reckon another definition of insanity would be St Mirren FC.  

Our recruitment strategy doesn't seem to have changed under new owners, was hoping for experience but we have went down the Douglas Street route.

Time will tell if it works, there will be no honeymoon period. Ross knows the club which will hopefully mean he makes a positive impact, quickly.

8 hours ago, TopCat said:

As I clearly say in the post I am behind him and I will give him a chance. Infact I will say now I think he should get the rest of the season no matter what.

However, you and I both know that if we are still bottom come January there will be people on here calling for his head. Some of the same people who are happy with his appointment today. Just like happened with Murray.

Ross has got to keep the job if that means relegation and rebuild then so be it. 100% agree with Gordon Scott stability must be the highest priority now. 

Ross has got to keep the job if that means relegation and rebuild then so be it. 100% agree with Gordon Scott stability must be the highest priority now. 

You'll be in a minority of 1 if you think Ross should keep the job if he relegates us to league 1.

For me the equation is simple. Keep us up = stay till next season. Don't keep us up = go. Would have said the same whoever got the job.

29 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Didn't Albert Einstein once say that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? Well I might not be as smart as him, but I reckon another definition of insanity would be St Mirren FC.  

And what would appointing Martin Laughlin or the Buckie dude say?

And what would appointing Martin Laughlin or the Buckie dude say?

It would have said the club was trying something different yet in line with their pledge to work more closely with community organisations.

Don't get me wrong, Laughlin and Sinclair weren't my preferred choice either but at least I could have seen logic in that direction. I can't see what the board have been attracted to by Ross at all.

12 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

It would have said the club was trying something different yet in line with their pledge to work more closely with community organisations.

Don't get me wrong, Laughlin and Sinclair weren't my preferred choice either but at least I could have seen logic in that direction. I can't see what the board have been attracted to by Ross at all.

Stewart.  The Buckie managers surname is Stewart not Sinclair.  How can you reach out to the community when you can't get a name right?