Welcome Jack Ross

He speaks well in that extended interview. In terms of building a rapport with the players and getting them to play I think the personalities of Ross / Potter are a better bet than what's gone before in recent times.

Murray / Spalding - I'm not sure whether they ever gained the respect of the players and Murray seemed emotionally detached.

Rae / Farrell - The hardman schtick wears thin pretty quickly and you just got the impression that Farrell was his hauners.  

Was a bit underwhelmed when JR was appointed last night, but the more I've heard and read about him the more confident I'm becoming he'll do a good job. Will require patience though; a tough few games coming up and, unlike the last 2 seasons, if we're down the bottom at the end of the year I don't think the manager will be going anywhere. 

He speaks well in that extended interview. In terms of building a rapport with the players and getting them to play I think the personalities of Ross / Potter are a better bet than what's gone before in recent times.

Murray / Spalding - I'm not sure whether they ever gained the respect of the players and Murray seemed emotionally detached.

Rae / Farrell - The hardman schtick wears thin pretty quickly and you just got the impression that Farrell was his hauners.  

Was a bit underwhelmed when JR was appointed last night, but the more I've heard and read about him the more confident I'm becoming he'll do a good job. Will require patience though; a tough few games coming up and, unlike the last 2 seasons, if we're down the bottom at the end of the year I don't think the manager will be going anywhere. 

This is my take on things.

I think he will have far better man management skills than either Murray or Rae.

The return of John Potter to the club is an interesting one too as seemed a big character in the dressing room and very well liked.

Hopefully get the excitement back about going to St Mirren games. Can't say I have genuinely looked forward to going to a game at St Mirren Park for quite some time now. Hopefully that will change under Jack Ross.

Welcome back to the club Jack Ross!

Good article here form the chairman addressing inbalance in our squad something we have all worried about since the start of the season

Saints chairman welcomes new boss but admits he's giving him an imbalanced squad http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14784198.Saints_chairman_welcomes_new_boss_but_admits_he__39_s_giving_him_an_imbalanced_squad/?ref=twtrec

9 hours ago, davidg said:

Best of luck Jack, hope it really works out well :)

Risky appointment, but who wouldn't be?

No matter the outcome of this season, even if it ends in relegation I'd give him the entire next season to see what happens.

He's working with a squad he didn't build and also has to deal with the tactics, training methods and mentality installed by Rae, this will take time to change.

Really hope it works out well.

Tactics and training methods instilled by rae if all th games ive seen this season which with the exception of the dumbarton game there has been no tactics involved so shouldnt be too hard to erradicate 

7 hours ago, eastlandssaint said:

Jack Ross played (outstandingly well) when we went to Grangemouth and defeated Falkirk 2-0 in that famous relegation scrap. He has seen the very best of the St Mirren fan base, as, for me, that was the best support I've ever been a part of.

I think this will have stuck in his mind, and will have influenced his thoughts in terms of the comments he makes in that interview.

1 hour ago, JM1 said:

That Falkirk game was the best half of football I've ever seen us play.

If we'd been 4-0 up after half an hour, it'd still have flattered Falkirk.

A bit off topic, but I just love that game.

Aye, have to agree. We absolutely pummelled them. High intensity, pressing football, with shot after shot, and every player 100% committed. What a day. JR was like a man possessed.

As we left the stadium a few Bairns spoke to us, telling us how much we deserved the win, but also that it was the best away support they had experienced.  Vewy, vewy pwoud!

Edited by Drew
Excessive comma usage

32 minutes ago, Sergie's no1 fan said:

Watched this video just the other night. Incredible, could have been at least 4 up at half time. Ironically enough look who was Falkirk's manager for that game.

Yes a Gus v Yogi fixture and Gus blew Yogi's team off the park.

I thought Gus was defensive as well! 

Edited by Kendo

38 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Yes a Gus v Yogi fixture and Gus blew Yogi's team off the park.

I thought Gus was defensive as well! 

Absolutely not to take anything away from Gus and Andy, but its also worth mentioning that the players were very clear after the match about the extent to which the support drove them on that day. They could hear the 2,000 Saints fans from the dressing room as we drowned out the tannoy (a brilliant, and very, very loud sound system).

Indeed, this was the match and reaction thereafter that totally sold me on the '12th man' notion.

Edited by Drew

I drove through arriving about 2pm and the Away Stand was almost full then with non stop singing an hour before kick off. Maybe we should move to Falkirk :)

Edit to Add: Players like Brady and Mason were regarded probably as just average back then.  Now they would be standouts.

Edited by Sonny

20 minutes ago, Drew said:

Absolutely not to take anything away from Gus and Andy, but its also worth mentioning that the players were very clear after the match about the extent to which the support drove them on that day. They could hear the 2,000 Saints fans from the dressing room as we drowned out the tannoy (a brilliant, and very, very loud sound system).

Indeed, this was the match and reaction thereafter that totally sold me on the '12th man' notion.

Yeah the fans were brilliant that day. Everyone seemed to be in the ground really early for some reason and the atmosphere was superb from around half two right up to kick off.

Can't really remember why everyone was so pumped but it was a magical afternoon all round.

21 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yeah, however the point I was making is Yogi wasn't all that good.  Perhaps Jack Ross will be a better appointment than Yogi.

Jack Ross is a good appointment, I was initially hoping for more a guy with more experience but after reading Jack's interview as well as the endorsements from his fellow peers has got me feeling very positive about him being St Mirren manager.

I do think go times are ahead.

Just disappointed he has to work a week's notice at Alloa, surely he has racked up some unused holiday time that he could have used to finish up there 4 or 5 days earlier.

I was delighted when it wasn't Gus too, and Jack does like the fans also.

Edited by Second Decay