Welcome Jack Ross

• 11 months later...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JACK!

Jack signed for us a year ago today and what a year it has been. Here is hoping we are celebrating again next Oct. And the one after that.

Looking back at everything he has achieved in the past year, Jack Ross can’t help but raise a smile.

JS131457586.jpg St Mirren manager Jack Ross is proud of the club's achievements since his arrival

Looking back at everything he has achieved in the past year, Jack Ross can’t help but raise a smile.

But that’s not to say that his job in Paisley is done. Far from it.

Today marks a year since Ross agreed to take up the reins of a club that could then only generously be described as a basket case.

In that time St Mirren have somehow managed to stave off an inevitable relegation, reach a cup final and now found themselves top of the Championship.

Hurtling towards the dropzone, Ross came in and grabbed the club by the scruff of the neck, making them a respected force again as he oversaw the most memorable fightback in the Saints’ history.

It may be only 12 months down the line, but if you asked Ross, he wouldn’t have been surprised if his first anniversary in the hotseat had already past.

“It feels like I have been here a long time,” he laughs. “In terms of how comfortable I feel anyway, it feels like I have been here years.

“It has been a good year. Overall I think it has been a very good year in terms of results and performances and how we have managed to progress the club.

“Sometimes you don’t realise how far you have came in that period because you have been immersed in it.

“But we still have a long way to go.”

You only have to look at Ross’ record to see how far Saints have come.

Their wretched home form, which had seen them go months without a win at the Paisley 2021 Stadium on a number of occasions prior to his arrival is now a distant memory.

In 26 matches in the town following his appointment, Saints have won 16, drawn four and lost six, most of which came in the early days of his reign. Add in the fact that the Buddies have scored 57 goals in that period and conceded just 27 then you will see why the ground is fast becoming a fortress.

The progress within the short period of a year is something that the gaffer admits he is delighted to have achieved. But he highlighted the fact that the fans are now back on side as one of the more memorable triumphs of the past year.

He said: “I have pride in the fact that the club has progressed because I genuinely do have an affection for the club.

“I view the club as mine in that sense, especially when I’m down at Ralston.

“Everything that we do down there I take pride in, so the fact we have managed to progress the club, both on and off the park, is something I am proud of.

“But I also take a lot of satisfaction from the reconnect that we have had with the supporters and people around the club because I think that has played a massive part in us moving forward as a club as well.

“It will be a big part of us trying to keep progressing as well and trying to keep that relationship there and improving it.”

When St Mirren supporters discuss last season, it is easy to forget the dark days of the start of campaign which seen them without a league win until deepest December.

In the end, remarkably, St Mirren would end the season in seventh despite finding themselves staring relegation in the face for much of the season.

Leaving it to the final day of the season, Saints produced a sterling display at the home of champions Hibernian to earn that crucial point required to avoid the dropzone and play-offs completely.

What followed were scenes of elation from the stands, the players and the dugout.

“I made it clear after the game that it wasn’t a celebration of finishing seventh in the Championship,” Ross said. “It was a celebration of a massive achievement.

“In that period clubs didn’t just roll over and let us win, we had to put together a fantastic run of results that only just allowed us get out the situation. It was remarkable.

“My favourite at the moment has to have been Easter Road because it was such a big game for us and to go into that environment with the result we needed, probably put the icing on the cake in that regards.

“There were a lot of different emotions after that – and I think I was shattered as well.

“I think I was just proud of what we managed to achieve.

“It was such a big day for Hibs as well, and with the crowd and the occasion it just felt like such a big game.

“Hopefully, there will be more days like that to follow, with us on the other when we are on the other side of things.”

So, with one year in the bag, it is time for Ross to look ahead.

Sitting plum at the top of the table, it is easy to see where the club’s hopes lie for the coming months of the season.

“I’ve made no secret of my wish and ambition”, Ross said.

“We have to temper expectation to a degree because we have come such a long way in a year.

“The fact we find ourselves top within that year changes things slightly. But I have always welcomed the pressure.

“I never hide from ambition and make sure my players don’t either.

“We are clear on what we are trying to do.

“It isn’t going to be pretty every week – let’s just say we don’t draw a lot of games.

“But I’m not going to change the way I approach games and I am going to continue to be as positive as I can.”

On 10/5/2016 at 1:51 PM, davidg said:

Best of luck Jack, hope it really works out well :)

Risky appointment, but who wouldn't be?

No matter the outcome of this season, even if it ends in relegation I'd give him the entire next season to see what happens.

He's working with a squad he didn't build and also has to deal with the tactics, training methods and mentality installed by Rae, this will take time to change.

Really hope it works out well.

Looks like you said was spot on

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

I'm pretty sure there will be more than a few chairmen of other clubs casting an envious look in our direction. 

Without doubt, Jack Ross has been the best signing the club has made in many a year . 

Yes, however he is not alone

McInally who never should have lost his job, top target for Falkirk and he will do a job there....................

Johnson doing a great job at Pars

Duffy still well capable at a bigger club

The Championship is where it is at......  I will miss it next season :zipit