The Jack Ross and James Fowler Appreciation Thread

8 hours ago, ged62 said:

I hope you're right, great to get to the final but he needs to get s result on sat & hopefully get us off of the bottom then I maybe agree he's the man, I do like him though, different team now down to him & the players.

Yes let's hope the team is well up for Ayr . 

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Yes let's hope the team is well up for Ayr . 

Jack Ross was the guy all those years ago who geed the team up in our do or die battle against Falkirk and we utterly destroyed them. He took that match completely by the scruff of the neck but more importantly in this case, he made sure that the match was won in the dressing room before it by saying the right things to the right people about what former team mates in the opposing dressing room were saying to him all week. 

That's exactly what he has to draw on this Saturday. That same spirit, that same fight. Get the players angry,  make them up for it,  show the footage of wee fatty McCall bouncing about after the 1-1 a few months the ago and his post match interview where he slaughtered us. Yes,  the personnel are different but there is still enough there to ensure we get in Ayr's faces and go at them from minute one. This is so much more than 3 points clawed back and they need to know that. It potentially sets a marker for the rest of the season. As much as I'd take it if offered right now, a scraped dodgy 1-0 or 2-1 won't do that. 

I want us to leave Somerset Park on Saturday with Ayr seriously worried about us. 

Edited by djchapsticks

The two cup games have shown that there's a fighting spirit within this squad . Now they need to show the same levels of effort and commitment in every league game . 

I firmly believe that if win on Saturday , we'll get out of this mess . 

47 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Jack Ross was the guy all those years ago who geed the team up in our do or die battle against Falkirk and we utterly destroyed them. He took that match completely by the scruff of the neck but more importantly in this case, he made sure that the match was won in the dressing room before it by saying the right things to the right people about what former team mates in the opposing dressing room were saying to him all week. 

That's exactly what he has to draw on this Saturday. That same spirit, that same fight. Get the players angry,  make them up for it,  show the footage of wee fatty McCall bouncing about after the 1-1 a few months the ago and his post match interview where he slaughtered us. Yes,  the personnel are different but there is still enough there to ensure we get in Ayr's faces and go at them from minute one. This is so much more than 3 points clawed back and they need to know that. It potentially sets a marker for the rest of the season. As much as I'd take it if offered right now, a scraped dodgy 1-0 or 2-1 won't do that. 

I want us to leave Somerset Park on Saturday with Ayr seriously worried about us. 

Good post mate.

Just now, munoz said:

The two cup games have shown that there's a fighting spirit within this squad . Now they need to show the same levels of effort and commitment in every league game . 

I firmly believe that if win on Saturday , we'll get out of this mess . 

Win on Saturday and we have a decent chance.

Lose and we are gone.

Saturday is going to be quite a game & atmosphere.

Just now, faraway saint said:

Win on Saturday and we have a decent chance.

Lose and we are gone.

Saturday is going to be quite a game & atmosphere.

Aye , it's pretty much win or bust . 

I'm nervous already , and it's only Tuesday . 

Well done to JR, JF and the team on another victory and another clean sheet. As well as results, and team performances we now have someone like McGinn who as well as playing well himself seems to be able to make it easier for his team mates and help them out and bring the best out in them. Earlier in the season we could see flashes of potential in a lot of the younger players like Morgan, Mallan, Magennis, McAllister but they could also be frustrating with their choices and consistency. The January signings seem to have stepped up and taken the pressure off the younger players and O'Brien has been an improvement on Langfield and Gallacher, full backs better, and with a few games under his belt Davis has looked better at centre half and McGinn looks to be the missing piece in the jigsaw in midfield.

We still have a mountain to climb to reach safety but with the January signings beginning to click it also seems to have helped someone like Morgan have a run of good games.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done to JR and the team today. Hoping Morgan's injury doesn't turn out to be as bad as first feared but today was a great performance and I also thought JR and the players did well to keep the head today as Ayr put in some dodgy tackles (on Mallan), a meaty late challenge after O'Brien after he spilled the ball and MacKenzie got an elbow in the face and Stellious also took a hefty challenge or two. Given the rich vein of form and number of goals he is now bagging it made good sense to take Mallan off shortly after being crunched in the middle of the pitch and send on Webster for MacKenzie as well.

Had a double result yesterday.
The score, cracking result.
&
After the match, the wife was picking me & my son jumped into the car & he said "we won 6-2"

Living in London for 30 years & Innes being 'english' & having little interest in football, these were words i never thought i'd her. I was nearly crying.

Further in his story, he said "us",
i was bawling.

Best results ever yesterday. Was for me. [emoji16]

For me it is simple - Jack Ross must be the manager next year - whatever division we are in.

The team performances have transformed since he had a chance to complete his transfer dealings in January. When was the last time we brought in so many players AND they all worked. Some do play more than others but not one has been poor when selected to play. Stephen McGinn has the key to midfield dilemma and Stelios is a unpredictable bag of tricks (in a good way). The form of some our established stars has improved beyond compare since the new squad has been in place.

Some have argued that a more experienced manager would have found his feet quicker - I'm not convinced on that, JR had a lot of remedial work to do - but even if we accept that, surely he HAS now found his feet, and, in the increasingly unlikely event that we come up just short this season and go down, then surely it would be madness to get rid of a manger who now knows what he is doing and taking another leap into the unknown?

I mistakenly told my son (9) that we had both seen our biggest win to date (in person) and that was a great bonding moment for us. I subsequently remembered that I was at the 8-0 Clydebank hammering back in THAT season, but in light of the kudos generated that information will remain classified :)

Edited by southsidebud

7 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

For me it is simple - Jack Ross must be the manager next year - whatever division we are in.

The team performances have transformed since he had a chance to complete his transfer dealings in January. When was the last time we brought in so many players AND they all worked. Some do play more than others but not one has been poor when selected to play. Stephen McGinn has the key to midfield dilemma and Stelios is a unpredictable bag of tricks (in a good way). The form of some our established stars has improved beyond compare since the new squad has been in place.

Some have argued that a more experienced manager would have found his feet quicker - I'm not convinced on that, JR had a lot of remedial work to do - but even if we accept that, surely he HAS now found his feet, and, in the increasingly unlikely event that we come up just short this season and go down, then surely it would be madness to get rid of a manger who now knows what he is doing and taking another leap into the unknown?

I mistakenly told my son (9) that we had both seen our biggest win to date (in person) and that was a great bonding moment for us. I subsequently remembered that I was at the 8-0 Clydebank hammering back in THAT season, but in light of the kudos generated that information will remain classified :)

I agree with most of what you've said except that all of Jack Ross's signings have been a success. Make no mistake I think he has made some season-changing signings and some of our best signings since the year where we signed Goodwin, Teale, Thompson and McGowan up. I would argue that as well as being excellent signings in their own right based on their own contributions Stephen McGinn, Harry Davis, Cammy Smith have I feel also played a major role in taking the weight off other players and helping to improve the form of players like Stevie Mallan, Lewis Morgan, Kyle Magennis, Jack Baird and competition for places brought by the arrival of Adam Eckersley and Stellios have seen Gary Irvine raise his game. Overall I think Jack Ross has made a few sure fire successes in his January signings that it has been alright in the end that he hasn't had a 100% success rate with all his January signings (what manager does)?

Billy O' Brien has been an improvement on Scott Gallacher and Jamie Langfield but if we signed someone else in the summer I wouldn't be heartbroken, he seems indecisive and spills a few shots every game when he looks like he has done the hard work.

Pal - has been alright and unspectacular in his few appearances so far and his versatility could come in handy if we pick up more injuries and suspensions.

Stellious - hardly has a mediocre game... he was probably my man of the match yesterday and was the matchwinner in the home game against Hibs as well. I think he has been unlucky not to play more often. When he is off form he can be a liability.

Craig Storie - is he injured? Not been even listed as a sub recently when our bench was looking a bit thin and was hit and miss in his few appearances

Josh Tod has been confined to a few short occasional subs appearances.