Scouting Strategy Required for JR

Yes he can. Well he's going to have to till January anyway.

Wonder if Ayr United, Morton and Dumbarton have 'scouting networks'? If they do, maybe that explains why they were all above us when Rae left.

They probably don't though, and it's probably just Rae trying to make excuses for the sorry state he left us in. He got every single one of his main targets in the summer, and that was the problem.

22 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Yes he can. Well he's going to have to till January anyway.

Wonder if Ayr United, Morton and Dumbarton have 'scouting networks'? If they do, maybe that explains why they were all above us when Rae left.

They probably don't though, and it's probably just Rae trying to make excuses for the sorry state he left us in. He got every single one of his main targets in the summer, and that was the problem.

Morton definitely do have at least one scout TC. I've never seen one from Ayr or Dumbarton though. 

I do seem to remember watching Rae in an interview - maybe a club Q&A - where he said he was recruiting a scout at St Mirren. And there was a comments from Gilmour that Rae could appoint a scout if he wanted but the cost would have to come out of his playing budget. Maybe I picked that up wrong, but I'm guessing Rae opted to spend the money on players instead - more fool him. 

It is absurd though that a club like St Mirren operate an Academy but don't scout for talent. 

6 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Morton definitely do have at least one scout TC. I've never seen one from Ayr or Dumbarton though. 

I do seem to remember watching Rae in an interview - maybe a club Q&A - where he said he was recruiting a scout at St Mirren. And there was a comments from Gilmour that Rae could appoint a scout if he wanted but the cost would have to come out of his playing budget. Maybe I picked that up wrong, but I'm guessing Rae opted to spend the money on players instead - more fool him. 

It is absurd though that a club like St Mirren operate an Academy but don't scout for talent. 

Pretty much correct (for a change). It was at the Q&A where he talked about wanting a scouting network. Hardly an excuse as someone else has claimed considering he'd only been in the job a month.

A good scout is why Caley Thistle got so many good players no one had heard of from down south under Butcher. Same approach doesn't seem to have worked so well for Killie this season mind.

8 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

Former manager Alex Rae has wished St Mirren future success but commented that there was no scouting system/strategy in place during his short stay in Paisley.

Can our new manager, Jack Ross, survive without one?

The reason Rae failed has nothing to do with a scouting system not being in place . The reason he failed was , he's poor manager who got many things wrong . 

Clutching at straws .

Yes a scouting system for a club like ours who can't afford the luxury of paying big money (or any sum of money) for players is an absolute must.but the key to good scouting is choosing knowledgeable competent people to do the job at all levels my first pick would be former saints youth striker Chris iwelumo with a vast knowledge of the game and with something like 16 clubs played for at different levels and I think he would have a good contacts list as well as the capabilities to carry the job out.

I would say the person most responsible for there being no current scouting arrangements in place for the first team would have been a certain Mr Rae.  I can't believe that the academy does not operate via a network of contacts and utilises club employees to watch hopefuls for their ranks.  They can't simply haul them off the street or watch the pie stall queue for potential talent.

Did Alex say anything about being useless at management and spotting talent as being part of the reasons why he failed?

2 hours ago, Paisley brazilians said:

Yes a scouting system for a club like ours who can't afford the luxury of paying big money (or any sum of money) for players is an absolute must.but the key to good scouting is choosing knowledgeable competent people to do the job at all levels my first pick would be former saints youth striker Chris iwelumo with a vast knowledge of the game and with something like 16 clubs played for at different levels and I think he would have a good contacts list as well as the capabilities to carry the job out.

So where are these scouts who work for free?

So where are these scouts who work for free?

You mock but I know a few scouts who generally cover youth football who are working essentially for free - obviously expenses are paid and they'll get free admission to matches - and who do what the do for the love of the game.

I was approached by Falkirk a few years back to scout for them. There was no salary but I'd get expenses, tickets and a payment if any youth player I referred made the first team. I politely declined but I know others jumped at the chance

20 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

You mock but I know a few scouts who generally cover youth football who are working essentially for free - obviously expenses are paid and they'll get free admission to matches - and who do what the do for the love of the game.

I was approached by Falkirk a few years back to scout for them. There was no salary but I'd get expenses, tickets and a payment if any youth player I referred made the first team. I politely declined but I know others jumped at the chance

Sure you were .

Scouting networks works like any other infrastructure in a club  someone needs to have a final say. Even when the volunteers are highlighting players the head of scouting needs to cast an eye over them.and that person is usually on the books. Plus my son played his first year at 11s last year in the p&d and all the players who were showing potential were snapped up Early in the season by the likes of Celtic.rangers.Hamilton.Morton. no st Mirren. the academy would benifit big time.