Jack Ross will come good

1 hour ago, billyg said:

He needs to get it right , we are firmly in the last chance saloon. If he can't turn things round then it's part time football and an even dudder managers merry go round.

Give jr a breakfor god sake he hasnt even officially started his tenure yet and still we have comment of he will come good and he needs to get it right personally under gls and jr we will come good. Here is a novel idea why dont the entire saints support get behind our new team from gls down to jr and the playing staff. As commented by a few players the atmosphere was way better saturday which in turn inspired the players on even more give the team and the club a chance 

9 hours ago, billyg said:

He needs to get it right , we are firmly in the last chance saloon. If he can't turn things round then it's part time football and an even dudder managers merry go round.

Hope he proves me wrong and gets the team to genetate some belief amongst the support again. Have to say how big a risk he is, same time in the job as Rae last season, but Jack got his club relegated, and guess which spot we currently sit in?

please prove my fears groundless Jack, we don't want to wander into football wilderness here.

8 hours ago, Clydebanksaint said:

Give jr a breakfor god sake he hasnt even officially started his tenure yet and still we have comment of he will come good and he needs to get it right

TF said recently that this appointment , whoever it was going to be , was the most important in the club's history. I would say that means JR has to get it right.

Whatever, whenever TF says something....   It has to be taken with a handful of salt.

this appointment is no more nor less important than the several recent ones.

only the later, long view with benefit of hindsight will let you gauge any decision's importance.

aye, sure, we all want him to get it right but that's for our immediate personal gratification rather than some long term vision of the club.

it is, what it is.  To be banal...

...as most posts are....

eta I liked your strap line at the time, Billy.

it can now be jettisoned. :)

Edited by antrin
Tidiness

I was optimistic about Jack Ross' appointment, but am starting to worry. He's already without a win in his first two days at the club, and I'm also worried the club haven't kept us informed enough - we don't even know what he had for dinner on Tuesday night! Did he brush his teeth this morning? And when does his his car's MOT run out?

The club and manager really need to buck up their ideas...

12 hours ago, billyg said:

Agree with that. As we go further and further down so the cycle becomes harder to reverse.

We absolutely can't contemplate third tier football.

Where we are today needs to be the absolute bottom of the curve.

Personally I expect us to be clear of the bottom two places by the end of the year, and I expect January to see us address the imbalance in the squad giving us a platform in the new year for moving further up the table.

I'm not expecting promotion play offs this season but I think it still needs to be the target.

We've good players at the club, just lost our way a wee bit. We've scored in every league game this season bar one, but similarly we are yet to keep a clean sheet.

One win will hopefully spark us into life and bring the confidence back.

5 hours ago, div said:

Agree with that. As we go further and further down so the cycle becomes harder to reverse.

We absolutely can't contemplate third tier football.

Where we are today needs to be the absolute bottom of the curve.

Personally I expect us to be clear of the bottom two places by the end of the year, and I expect January to see us address the imbalance in the squad giving us a platform in the new year for moving further up the table.

I'm not expecting promotion play offs this season but I think it still needs to be the target.

We've good players at the club, just lost our way a wee bit. We've scored in every league game this season bar one, but similarly we are yet to keep a clean sheet.

One win will hopefully spark us into life and bring the confidence back.

Agree with all of that but would add that if next season we are not challenging for promotion, there will be yet another clamour for change. Not saying it's right just being realistic. Boards can talk about long term plans and visions but given what has gone on since we won the LC no one will be given more than 18 months max to have us challenging. So yes most will give Ross a chance but he needs to get us there within a year or so not over 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Agree with all of that but would add that if next season we are not challenging for promotion, there will be yet another clamour for change. Not saying it's right just being realistic. Boards can talk about long term plans and visions but given what has gone on since we won the LC no one will be given more than 18 months max to have us challenging. So yes most will give Ross a chance but he needs to get us there within a year or so not over 2-3 years.

Agree, Jack stating that he will keep any aims or objectives within the dressing room doesn't inspire confidence, or a willingness to give us the milestones to show how he, and the squad, can be measured.

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Agree, Jack stating that he will keep any aims or objectives within the dressing room doesn't inspire confidence, or a willingness to give us the milestones to show how he, and the squad, can be measured.

Of course he'll keep the aims within the dressing room. He will give his players targets that he wants to reach and it will be up to the players to deliver the targets he sets for them. 

Why would he want to make the targets public? It would be giving people a stick to beat him with.

14 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

That doesn't bother me at all. He has a target and that's fine but he will need to realise that in a lot of fans eyes the clock didn't start ticking this week for Ross, it's been ticking for 3 years now and every season that passes without a promotion challenge makes fans even more impatient regardless of who is managing. As div said it's an ever decreasing circle. Put another way if we stay up this season and end mid table, I don't think he would survive a start to next season like we have seen under Rae. We need to see us capable of at least a play-off challenge next season at the latest or he too will be gone. I don't for one minute wish anything but success for our new manager and I don't clamour for anyone to be sacked, I'm just saying it how it is (imo obviously)

I think as long as we are competing in the playoff positions (maybe rule out this season at the moment), then that should be enough for a manager at this level to keep their job, after all there is only one automatic promotion and the other is a chance over a series of two legged playoffs. The challenging opposition of the like of Dundee Utd and Hibs in the same league is far greater than it was the last time round we got promoted. 

45 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Are you serious why would he come out in public and air the objectives and aims he puts on the players only to be shotdown immediatley onhere if doesnt come to fruition instantly 

18 minutes ago, Clydebanksaint said:

Are you serious why would he come out in public and air the objectives and aims he puts on the players only to be shotdown immediatley onhere if doesnt come to fruition instantly 

So what do the support buy into? Whats the pay off for backing Jack and his squad?

most decent managers set out their stall, tell the support what we are all striving for.... why should fans pay to turn up when they dont even know what the team are trying to achieve?

every successful organisation sets out its aims and objectives. Why dies Jack Ross get to give no indication what he is targeting?

1 hour ago, Kendo said:

Of course he'll keep the aims within the dressing room. He will give his players targets that he wants to reach and it will be up to the players to deliver the targets he sets for them. 

Why would he want to make the targets public? It would be giving people a stick to beat him with.

To be fair Kendo there does seem to be a few already who are looking for any excuse to have a pop no matter how tenuous the subject matter.:rolleyes:

Edited by scottd

1 hour ago, scottd said:

aaaTo be fair Kendo there does seem to be a few already who are looking for any excuse to have a pop no matter how tenuous the subject matter.:rolleyes:

There always is, every season, a few people intent on demeaning the manager at every opportunity.

How sad.

Edited by faraway saint

I think Lord Pityme is right. Why should targets and objectives on the playing side be kept in the dressing room? If you look at any other business proposition you would expect to have projections on sales, turnover and profit and you'd expect to be able to measure the performance of the business against those targets. 

A big part of the problem I had with Mark Wotte was that when he took the job of Performance Director at the SFA he was able to tell everyone it would be six years before we would see any benefit to his work. Effectively he wrote himself six years worth of wages without ever being answerable to the failed mess that he was leaving behind. Nice work if you can get it. Wotte should have been held to account. We should have been able to measure success from all of the players coming through his development programme with improving targets year on year as players broke through who had spent more time on his development programme made the game. Now if Jack Ross doesn't make performance targets available to all those who would measure his performance, how does anyone know if he's succeeding in his job or not? Are members of SMiSA just expected to keep ploughing money in backing the manager whilst hoping and praying for results? 

Edited by Stuart Dickson