Jack Ross will come good

The new manager has already said he wants and expects to take us back to the top flight.

That's all I need to know.

Some folk with the knives out for the new manager and he hasn't even started yet, some support that is!!!

1 hour ago, div said:

The new manager has already said he wants and expects to take us back to the top flight.

Some folk with the knives out for the new manager and he hasn't even started yet, some support that is!!!

Div I clearly stated that it's not how I want it to pan out for JR, merely how I think it will pan out IF the scenario I painted happens. You state elsewhere you roughly expect us to finish about 6th this season. Assuming we do, would you expect JR to then survive a similar start as Rae has had next season? There would be massive pressure for another change. The point I am making is that with each passing managerial failure the pressure to succeed rises on every new incumbent. In effect every new manager basically gets less time or patience with every passing failure. I hope JR is a massive success, I really do. I just don't believe he will get any longer than any predecessor if he doesn't succeed despite the board talking stability and long term plans. The same would apply to whoever we had appointed this is in no way aimed at JR personally.

30 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Div I clearly stated that it's not how I want it to pan out for JR, merely how I think it will pan out IF the scenario I painted happens. You state elsewhere you roughly expect us to finish about 6th this season. Assuming we do, would you expect JR to then survive a similar start as Rae has had next season? There would be massive pressure for another change. The point I am making is that with each passing managerial failure the pressure to succeed rises on every new incumbent. In effect every new manager basically gets less time or patience with every passing failure. I hope JR is a massive success, I really do. I just don't believe he will get any longer than any predecessor if he doesn't succeed despite the board talking stability and long term plans. The same would apply to whoever we had appointed this is in no way aimed at JR personally.

I think most people appreciate the point you're making, but is it not a bit premature to be indulging in whatiffery before the guy has even taken up post?

It's a pretty defeatist way to look at things, when the very thing we all seem to agree that we've been crying out for is someone to lift things at the club. The guy will struggle to do that - as will supporters who are keen to get on board - if the doubts and scepticism are creeping in before he has even started.

I appreciate that it isn't your style to set things out in an unduly negative way, but there are plenty who don't need any encouragement.

Edited by Drew

He's given his target, which is to win games and get back into the Premiership. He's also said we could still make the play offs, which although not stating an aim, is putting the pressure on himself to do it.

Regarding not making public his peformance targets for the team and players, I'd guess these will be individual targets for players in terms of goals, clean sheets etc, and maybe a points target for the next 5 games or whatever.

As long as we go into every game looking to win it, and are prepared for each opponent, giving 100% commitment, that's good enough for me for starters. We're in a terrible position, and should take things one step at a time to get out of it.

3 hours ago, div said:

Have to correct you bud, Ross said it was "realistic" to think we should be in the top tier, but he stopped well short of making any aim or objective public regarding how and when he has targeted that goal.

more than ever the support need an aim and objectives to get behind, buy into and believe. We need a manger who is prepared to nail his colours to the mast, not slopey shoulders again like Murray, or more intetested in what Sevco might achieve like Rae.

we need a St Mirren manager to come out and tell the St Mirren support what he and the squad are striving for. How can we back any aims, if we dont know what they are?

Jack will do well can't see a push for promotion this year could be near enough next year.but might be in the premiere the year after that.with most teams replacing 4 or 5 players it normally takes a few games for them to gel.last season was a Cull for us far to many players away ripped the heart out of the team as long as we make steady progress with some wise decisions then it is within our grasp.

The undertone of negativity in this thread title is unneccesary. Basically the same as the Rae one that was used to give him pelters at every opportunity. Can a mod change it to something different?

"The Jack Ross positivity thread" would do

19 minutes ago, Doakes said:

The undertone of negativity in this thread title is unneccesary. Basically the same as the Rae one that was used to give him pelters at every opportunity. Can a mod change it to something different?

That wouldn't suit a lot of people on here. Our 'support' does seem to have a large number of negative whingers.

50 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Some people are professional moaners only happy when they are chuntering, fckem as shull would say. 

Players and managers use the internet. If we want to improve as a club, a good place to start would be promoting a bit of positivity online. Negativity is infectious 

Some of the stuff on the forum makes for shocking reading. Some seem only happy to write negative bull.

No-one is being negative i think he will come good in the sense that he's inherited the squad that Alex Rae built and he has to rid the team of that losing mentality and start to build up the players confidence.  This probably won't happen instantly hence the come good title. I also don't buy into a few people on a football forum being "negative" will somehow spill onto the stands on match day. The vast majority don't bother their arse with football forums.

51 minutes ago, dr rotund said:

No-one is being negative i think he will come good in the sense that he's inherited the squad that Alex Rae built and he has to rid the team of that losing mentality and start to build up the players confidence.  This probably won't happen instantly hence the come good title. I also don't buy into a few people on a football forum being "negative" will somehow spill onto the stands on match day. The vast majority don't bother their arse with football forums.

I disagree. Know for a fact that the players discuss what's said on here and on twitter etc

Players and managers use the internet. If we want to improve as a club, a good place to start would be promoting a bit of positivity online. Negativity is infectious 

A bit of positivity on the pitch will drive the feel-good factor.

The football has been dire for years.The players and management should concentrate on their job and forget what's happening online in the same way they 'claim' the do with regards to newspapers.

Focus on the job in hand and the fans will be happy. I think most of us can accept a defeat if the team has put in a decent shift.

The best I think we can do like you allude to is support them , give them the chance to do the job and see where it takes us , but as for people moaning ? It's 'our' club , the players and managers are just passing through.

Do your job well the fans will appreciate , don't and they'll tell you about it.

COYS

• 2 weeks later...