Jack Ross will come good

Yes I was impressed by our efforts yesterday.That Utd side cost a fair bit to assemble.They will certainly be in the top two this season yet in my opinion we were worth a least a point.Morgan gave their Dutch full back a hard time and he has got a great future in the game.I am positive Jack will have us ok and perhaps may be able to change our unbalanced squad around in January.I also think it is a master stroke to have Fowler in the management team he had a good record at Queens and was surely unlucky to lose his job there.Onwards and upwards.COYS?

I was listening to Sportsound either Mon/Tues evening when they were talking about Celtic and how they are playing much better this season with essentially the same players. The question posed was can a new manager make a big difference (good or bad)  to the same set of players?

One pundit (Tam McManus?) talked about being a player with Dundee when Alan Kernaghan was appointed manager. He said that from day one the players did not like the way the manager spoke to them or the way he treated them causing resentment before a game was even played. Kernaghan said he wanted to play a different formation and style from what they had been used to. After half a dozen straight defeats with no sign of improvement the players questioned the formation and tactics but Kernaghan was not for changing and persisted with his philosophy that no-one was buying into. The dressing room was lost and Kernaghan was sacked 9 months after taking the job with Dundee being relegated.

The other side of the coin was Brendan Rodgers with Celtic.

McManus's story gave a good insight into how a manager can easily lose the confidence and support of his players. By all accounts Jack Ross is more in the Rodgers camp than Karnaghan so maybe with the same pool of players we can see a significant difference in the months to come.

I was listening to Sportsound either Mon/Tues evening when they were talking about Celtic and how they are playing much better this season with essentially the same players. The question posed was can a new manager make a big difference (good or bad)  to the same set of players?

One pundit (Tam McManus?) talked about being a player with Dundee when Alan Kernaghan was appointed manager. He said that from day one the players did not like the way the manager spoke to them or the way he treated them causing resentment before a game was even played. Kernaghan said he wanted to play a different formation and style from what they had been used to. After half a dozen straight defeats with no sign of improvement the players questioned the formation and tactics but Kernaghan was not for changing and persisted with his philosophy that no-one was buying into. The dressing room was lost and Kernaghan was sacked 9 months after taking the job with Dundee being relegated.

The other side of the coin was Brendan Rodgers with Celtic.

McManus's story gave a good insight into how a manager can easily lose the confidence and support of his players. By all accounts Jack Ross is more in the Rodgers camp than Karnaghan so maybe with the same pool of players we can see a significant difference in the months to come.

McManus was always a lazy shite as a player though and often disruptive too. Kernaghan was a fairly limited boss backed at Clyde by Billy Reid. I don't think Kernaghans success or failure relied on how he talked to players.

Frank McAvennie tells the story of Alex Millers first day as St Mirren manager where Miller turned up in Rangers training gear. McAvennie claims he alienated at least half the squad, yet McAvennie stayed and performed for Miller for several years after in a St Mirren side that regularly finished in the top six.

Far from it being managers "losing the dressing room" the biggest problem is players who have no professionalism, no ambition and who lack a winners mentality

21 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

McManus was always a lazy shite as a player though and often disruptive too. Kernaghan was a fairly limited boss backed at Clyde by Billy Reid. I don't think Kernaghans success or failure relied on how he talked to players.

Frank McAvennie tells the story of Alex Millers first day as St Mirren manager where Miller turned up in Rangers training gear. McAvennie claims he alienated at least half the squad, yet McAvennie stayed and performed for Miller for several years after in a St Mirren side that regularly finished in the top six.

Far from it being managers "losing the dressing room" the biggest problem is players who have no professionalism, no ambition and who lack a winners mentality

So we don't need to be selective about a manager any manager will do as it's all down to the players. :lol:

So we don't need to be selective about a manager any manager will do as it's all down to the players.[emoji38]

To an extent I'm sure that's true. If you have the right group of players with the right mentality the job of manager is much easier.

Think about it the other way. If players are downing tools because they don't like the manager what does that say about the squad of players the club has amassed.

Always cutting against the grain.

26 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Haters ? Have you actually read Stuarts posts. You should tell the doctor to take you off the hormone treatment Shull.

You're full of abuse this week.

It's certainly not like you.

I read all of Stuart's football posts. He is very well educated on the Beautiful Game. He takes a lot of undeserved abuse on here. 

The Group of Dudes who troll him on the General  Nonsense are totally obsessed and they probably want to be as clever as he is. 

He totally rips the pish out of all comers. 

Edited by shull

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

To an extent I'm sure that's true. If you have the right group of players with the right mentality the job of manager is much easier.

Think about it the other way. If players are downing tools because they don't like the manager what does that say about the squad of players the club has amassed.

I assume that Dundalk's relative success recently is mostly attributable to the calibre of their players, as opposed to the input of the manager, one Stephen Kenny Esq.

You could be a politician Stuart, based on your endeavours to take any information or scenario, and to twist it to suit your agenda. We're talking a shite politician, mind. An Ian Murray, or David Coburn, perhaps.

11 minutes ago, Drew said:

I assume that Dundalk's relative success recently is mostly attributable to the calibre of their players, as opposed to the input of the manager, one Stephen Kenny Esq.

You could be a politician Stuart, based on your endeavours to take any information or scenario, and to twist it to suit your agenda. We're talking a shite politician, mind. An Ian Murray, or David Coburn, perhaps.

Don't forget his beloved Sunderland, who were doing great until they changed manager.

Have a look at the Dundalk squad Drew. Most of the lads are Irish. The big name in their squad is Rangers reject Dean Shiels. Yet their ripping up the Europa League and dominating their domestic league. Stephen Kenny, like Alex Ferguson or Brian Clough quite simply know their football and can find players with the right attitude. Neither Fergie or Cloughie were renowned for their tactical nous, we're they?

11 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Guys.

I don't know why some people get a hard time on here.

Some do whilst some appear to have an easy ride.

Surely the forum is just that - a place where people post their opionions.

The wider range of opinions the better.

I might just be wrong of course.

Big Stu doesn't need you or anyone else to hold his hand, mate. Seriously.

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Have a look at the Dundalk squad Drew. Most of the lads are Irish. The big name in their squad is Rangers reject Dean Shiels. Yet their ripping up the Europa League and dominating their domestic league. Stephen Kenny, like Alex Ferguson or Brian Clough quite simply know their football and can find players with the right attitude. Neither Fergie or Cloughie were renowned for their tactical nous, we're they?

Fergie wasn't renowned for his tactical nous? That would maybe explain why he won numerous EPL titles domestic cups and the champions league. Not to mention his shit tactical nous when his Dons side dominated Scottish football as they collected the Cup winners cup along the way.

Fergie wasn't renowned for his tactical nous? That would maybe explain why he won numerous EPL titles domestic cups and the champions league. Not to mention his shit tactical nous when his Dons side dominated Scottish football as they collected the Cup winners cup along the way.

He had successful teams, as did Clough ie but I'd reckon that the majority of their success came from good player recruitment and good man management rather than tactical ability. I'm ready to be proved wrong but I can't remember a single game where a tactical switch by either of those managers was credited for a win.

I watched on Monday as Ryan Giggs said that the only tactic Man U used against Liverpool was to play the ball long in the first half and to play it shorter in the second when space started to open up. Really simple but effective stuff.