Jack Ross will come good

6 hours ago, FTOF said:

IMO the "new" format of the Betfred cup has effectively made it a pre-season exercise at the group stage.

I don't think the new format is an improvement on it's previous straight knockout format..

You could of course point out that we should be better prepared, which maybe we aren't, along with quite a few other teams.

It's a pity we're no longer in it, but as much as I'd have liked us to do well in it, getting as high up the league as possible is the priority.

Well I don't buy it's pre season as it's quite clearly the start of a national trophy and we had real pre season games to prepare. Aye, some teams have not done too well but plenty have and our group was certainly one we should look to have qualified from. We are almost on the league campaign with nothing much to convince people we are close to contenders, a good league cup campaign would have changed that. Early days but the Falkirk game is looming.

Edited by faraway saint

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Well I don't buy it's pre season as it's quite clearly the start of a national trophy and we had real pre season games to prepare. Aye, some teams have not done too well but plenty have and our group was certainly one we should look to have qualified from. We are almost on the league campaign with nothing much to convince people we are close to contenders, a good league cup campaign would have changed that. Early days but the Falkirk game is looming.

Pre season or otherwise, we should still have enough about us to beat the likes of Livi at home and not get horsed by the Plastics.  If we weren't ready, then who's to blame?  How come the teams we played who beat us were ready?  Not having a go at Jack Ross, as I think he'll do a good job for us in the longer term, but there's no excuse for those two results.

I don't think many are saying they don't care about the league cup. I do agree that it's early in the season and we haven't made the best start but if you're going to have a dodgy spell i'd rather it was right at the start of the season. The league cup has came too soon for us in terms of form apparently so we move on to the league and i think Jack will get things right in time for next week. It would be good to get a morale boosting win today and there should be no excuses because there's no pressure with us being out already.

I don't think many are saying they don't care about the league cup. I do agree that it's early in the season and we haven't made the best start but if you're going to have a dodgy spell i'd rather it was right at the start of the season. The league cup has came too soon for us in terms of form apparently so we move on to the league and i think Jack will get things right in time for next week. It would be good to get a morale boosting win today and there should be no excuses because there's no pressure with us being out already.

It's early, but we were back training at the end of June, having not played for around 7 weeks. That's 35 working days holiday, not bad considering the half day lifestyle of a modern footballer. Injuries are an obvious factor, but not an excuse for lack of desire, effort or basic application.

50 minutes ago, TsuMirren said:

It's early, but we were back training at the end of June, having not played for around 7 weeks. That's 35 working days holiday, not bad considering the half day lifestyle of a modern footballer. Injuries are an obvious factor, but not an excuse for lack of desire, effort or basic application.

I don't disagree with any of that. My point is that i think Jack will fix it quite quickly and that we shouldn't write of our whole season just yet. What has happened so far after the fantastic end to last season is obviously concerning but i think we'll see a different St Mirren in the coming weeks.

A lot of people on here going down the "diddy cup" route. The fact of the matter is we should have been in at least second place in this group but we are where we are. I hope it is because we made so many personnel changes so early  that we have suffered and that, come next week, we'll be better prepared and better focussed for the campaign.

7 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

We got comprehensively beaten by a team that, only a matter of weeks ago, finished 13 places above us in the league structure, comprehensively beat teams who finished 6 and 10 places below us and had a narrow loss to the team, out of our LC group competitors, that finished closest to us last season.

Almost what we should have expected really, except possibly swap the narrow defeat for a narrow win.

Obviously only referring to results and not performances, but pretty much where we should be, really.

That's not how it works Bud...... Thistle ended last season with 1 point from 6 games.............

Still think we should have won this group at worst 9 points, which a one nil loss to Thistle would have taken us thru

Raise the bar

35 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

We got comprehensively beaten by a team that, only a matter of weeks ago, finished 13 places above us in the league structure, comprehensively beat teams who finished 6 and 10 places below us and had a narrow loss to the team, out of our LC group competitors, that finished closest to us last season.

Almost what we should have expected really, except possibly swap the narrow defeat for a narrow win.

Obviously only referring to results and not performances, but pretty much where we should be, really.

Our showing in the league cup was disappointing. Probably not worth getting our knickers in a knot over, but I suppose some feel particularly strongly about it.

26 minutes ago, dr rotund said:

The real stuff starts and Jack and co. deliver the goods when it matters. With Jack signing the three year contract surely it's time the "must go" thread must go :unsure:.  We are on the up and that thread has run it's course.

Why don't you PM Div if it's really annoying you ?

Or start a Thread and we'll all discuss it.

FFS :lol:

Just leave Threads alone

They will disappear if nobody adds to them

The way we are playing, it wont be required.

32 minutes ago, dr rotund said:

The real stuff starts and Jack and co. deliver the goods when it matters. With Jack signing the three year contract surely it's time the "must go" thread must go :unsure:.  We are on the up and that thread has run it's course.

We don't need this Thread either

Results signify that Jack has come good

Yippee :byebye

Edited by shull

12 minutes ago, shull said:

Why don't you PM Div if it's really annoying you ?

Or start a Thread and we'll all discuss it.

FFS :lol:

Just leave Threads alone

They will disappear if nobody adds to them

The way we are playing, it wont be required.

I don't think Div wants Threresa May's job.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

PM Div? :lol:

Good luck with that. :byebye

More chance of a reply from Lord Lucan.

After I posted on a thread about my unanswered PM, Div did finally PM me back. I responded and haven't heard a peep from him since:rolleyes: