Jack Ross will come good

It was JR's third match in charge after games against Hibs and Dundee Utd., the best two teams in the division and was clearly going to be a watershed game that if we lost would set the tone for the season at least till the January window - we are where I expected us to be, to have envisioned anything else was unrealistic. As usual your mood swings provide comic relief to those of us with more perspective.

So you thought we would lose at home to Dumbarton and Dunfermline?

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

So you thought we would lose at home to Dumbarton and Dunfermline?

That was not what we were arguing about at the time - I said that if we lost to Morton best we could reasonably expect was 9th (we were 10th and by your admission the worst team in the league) I certainly didn't expect us to make up the gap, you said this was ridiculous and are now trying to confuse the issue.

It's not even essential to that argument as we could have taken four points from the Dumbarton & Dunfermline games and still been bottom, you were wrong back then and can't take a bit of gentle criticism without good grace

Edited by Bud the Baker

That was not what we were arguing about at the time - I said that if we lost to Morton best we could reasonably expect was 9th (we were 10th and by your admission the worst team in the league) I certainly didn't expect us to make up the gap, you said this was ridiculous and are now trying to confuse the issue.

It's not even essential to that argument as we could have taken four points from the Dumbarton & Dunfermline games and still been bottom, you were wrong back then and can't take a bit of gentle criticism without good grace

Your point was invalid at the time and remains so. The two results which have made our predicament as bad as it is were the home defeats in the '6 pointers' to both Dumbarton and Dunfermline.

Despite this, the best we can reasonably expect is still safety.

11 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Your point was invalid at the time and remains so. The two results which have made our predicament as bad as it is were the home defeats in the '6 pointers' to both Dumbarton and Dunfermline.

Despite this, the best we can reasonably expect is still safety.

Well we're never going to agree on the first point although I stand by everything I've said - post hoc arguments in an attempt to disguise your initial error.

As for the second it's only 4 hours since you said

Indeed, barring a miracle we are down.

Goodnight Mr. Bipolar. :1eye

I fear that barring a minor miracle we are almost down already, despite having 66 points left to play for. Dunfermline and Dumbarton are almost averaging 1 point per game. Let's say we need 36 points to finish the season in the safety of 8th place. We would be required to take 32 points from our remaining 22 games. To put that in some perspective, Hibs and Dundee United currently have 31 points after 15 games and 3rd place Falkirk are on 25 points after 15 games. Basically we need to hit Falkirk's average to have a chance of 8th (assuming Dunfermline and Dumbarton continue to average just under 1 point per game).

If we were to return to the giddy heights of picking up a draw in every second game and losing the others (as per Alex Rae and Alan McManus this season) then we would finish on 15 points, meaning that 7th placed part time Ayr United could lose every game from now until the end of the season and still finish 1 point ahead of us.

What do you suggest? Bring in another manager. 

As you said before can't keep changing managers even though JR wasn't my choice, don't know who was TBH. We really need to start winning soon, obviously. Hope there is a few free players in January, preferably with experience to get us out of this mess.

7 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

If we were to return to the giddy heights of picking up a draw in every second game and losing the others (as per Alex Rae and Alan McManus this season) then we would finish on 15 points, meaning that 7th placed part time Ayr United could lose every game from now until the end of the season and still finish 1 point ahead of us.

If Ayr lose every game between now and the seasons end, that means we'll beat them twice. :P

Edited by djchapsticks

I feel for Jack Ross, he's inherited a steaming turd of a team bereft of any confidence, momentum or hope.

Although results are worrying, I think we need to stick by him. I am convinced we are going down (christ there is no evidence to the contrary) but he needs to get next season to bring us back up.

I do agree with some posters - with our squad he should be able to turn us around - but to me there is a serious mental fragility which has taken over the whole squad over a number of years. Unless Jack has a degree in psychology or therapy, I don't think he'll solve that.

We are at our lowest ebb, and it sucks. He's got to try and stay positive and use January to try and bolster the team and get us ready for League 1.

Was

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:24 PM, Ayrshire Saints said:

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if we could go the whole season without winning a league game ???

It was a post a bit tongue in cheek at the time but a month on it's more of a possibility. QoS on Tuesday then back to back home games gives us an opportunity to break the spell but so far the first league victory seems as far away as ever.

I wanted Gus instead of Jack. However looking at our style of play and the introduction of the youngsters into the team I believe that Jack was the right appointment and he'll eventually come good for us. 

I know that this sounds nuts but I was actually thinking of not going under Alex Rae. However although our results are horrendous under Jack our performances are better to watch.

I think he'll get us to the Premiership and unearth a good few youngsters on the way.

There's no reason whatsoever to believe that it's time for our fortunes to turn but December and the next three games in particular are all huge.

Again, there's no real basis other than blind optimism to suggest it'll be the case but if we can be sitting 4 or 6 points better off at this point next week with Ayr to come, then something may just be salvageable. 

2 points or less and it's time to give it up.

Edited by djchapsticks

I remember the 15th October, Jack Ross's first game in charge. We lost 0-2 at home to a very average Dundee Utd side, but this place was awash with positivity afterwards.

Lines like ' keep playing like that and we will be fine, next week is huge, etc '. Five games later, we have lost the lot.

I didn't see any tangible positives after the United game and I still don't. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Its a bit like the emporer's new clothes on here. Ross says we are improving and playing good football, and a lot of people are inclined to agree. However the league table, every team and support we come up against know differently.

i bet Houston was having a good chuckle to himself " aye St Mirren were the better team, hope we play better teams like them every week"

4 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Jack's a man with a plan. It's a long term plan and it involves bringing in youngsters and playing entertaining football. There's no doubt we are improving.

Hopefully his plan does not involve us bouncing down to the third tier for a season.

Tonight's win helps big time. Well done Saints.

This is the reason people were saying that there were signs of improvement even before the 2 wins. We were playing better and we were beginning to see a decent shape to the team which can only improve the longer Jack has to work with them. I also like what he has to say in his interviews, something i couldn't say for our last few managers. Jack will keep us for definite and with 2 transfer windows and a pre season to go before next season i think a play off place is the least we'll achieve next year, that's how much i rate him.

If we can beat Ayr, that would be three wins on the trot and keep us in with a chance of moving off the bottom against Morton on Hogmanay. I would believe in Ross's plan, and potential if we could achieve that. Every game is massive for us now, we need to be able to show we can press and keep teams under pressure to carry on winning, and picking up points.

oh how good it would be going into the derby game feeling it could be the start of another seventeen years of domination?

Come On YOU Saints...! 

(Not feckin Ye Saints... WTF is that all about?)