St Mirren v Ayr United Challenge Cup Quarter Final 13/11/16

shull

Good win and a confidence booster for everyone, it wasn't pretty at times but the better managed team won on the day, the gaffer had the balls to bring the two kyles into the team and there proving they deserve to be there, both wee decent today, added to that the lads that weren't involved today in Quinn, Webster, Gordon and Hardie. There's a good squad of players there, hopefully start getting points on the board and climbing the table.

Thought it was going to be Dumbarton Mark II again. Stuffy first half with Ayr hitting every St Mirren player at every opportunity. Ayr are a physical side who were happy to kill the game at every opportunity. And although we had some good movement we lacked anything up front. Last week we started 4-5-1 which I thought gave us more space on the wings but today it was a 4-4-2 which meant a more direct game but long balls with players having their back to goals do not work for us as Sutton and Clarkson do not win them.

Second half was an improvement and we were dominating until the usual loss of a goal. Changing then to 3 at the back and 5 in the middle allowed more wing play which we capitalised on - Sutton works best with the ball coming in from the front of him and not behind him. His first goal was a classy finish from a difficult ball. In the end we should have won that far more comfortably however delighted we finally got a win at Home. But stick to 5 in midfield with two wingers hitting the ball from the byline to Sutton is the way to go. Well done guys.

I thought we were unlucky to go behind as we were the better team at that point

We ended up with 3 wide men on and should have scored more than 2 that we did

Mallan is a far better player when he keeps it simple

I'm with TC i'm struggling to see what Clarkson brings to the team

We looked far better when Shankland came on but his shape and fitness is shocking

Ayr were shocking and at the end were lining up to do Morgan

Taking it in turns to do so

45 minutes ago, Drew said:

That doesn't account for the respective league placings, however.

In fairness to Rae we did have a tough-ish start to the league campaign with a derby against Morton, and games against Hibs, Raith and Queen of the South early on when we also had Quinn injured, MacKenzie injured, Morgan injured, Gallacher injured. Rae got 6 league games and the gap between Ayr and ourselves was pretty minimal while he was manager, and I suspect that as players returned to fitness the team would have improved under him had he been give more time. I think that we lost ground during the vacancy and while Jack Ross assesses the squad and tries to find his preferred starting XI. I'm hopeful that there is enough of the season left and we have a good enough squad that if we start picking up points and narrowing the gap on the teams above us we can have at least some of the season as one of the form teams in the league for a month or two and maybe hit the dizzy heights of 7th. This will then set us up for another summer of misplaced optimism where most signings are viewed as a stroke of managerial genius and sign that the following season will see us enjoy a Tom Hendrie-esque rise back to the top league!

Great comeback from the boys & well deserved victory. Naismith has had a very poor season but I think we seen flashes of his former self, hopefully with a bit of belief he can kick on. Magennis & McAlister played very well again and are in there in merit.

The atmosphere was good the last 15 mins, hopefully we can take that kind of support into next weekends game with Dunfermline...As mentioned many times before, hope this can be the turning point of our season, it HAS to be!

Thought it was going to be Dumbarton Mark II again. Stuffy first half with Ayr hitting every St Mirren player at every opportunity. Ayr are a physical side who were happy to kill the game at every opportunity. And although we had some good movement we lacked anything up front. Last week we started 4-5-1 which I thought gave us more space on the wings but today it was a 4-4-2 which meant a more direct game but long balls with players having their back to goals do not work for us as Sutton and Clarkson do not win them.

Second half was an improvement and we were dominating until the usual loss of a goal. Changing then to 3 at the back and 5 in the middle allowed more wing play which we capitalised on - Sutton works best with the ball coming in from the front of him and not behind him. His first goal was a classy finish from a difficult ball. In the end we should have won that far more comfortably however delighted we finally got a win at Home. But stick to 5 in midfield with two wingers hitting the ball from the byline to Sutton is the way to go. Well done guys.

We started 451 with Clarkson in an advanced midfield role and Sutton as a lone striker.

At half time I said Sutton was too isolated and not getting the service. Not sure if the wingers were afraid if being clobbered but they didn't beat their men or get balls across to Sutton.

First substitution was to change to a 442 and it almost cost us the game. I can see why Ross tried it but we conceded the midfield at that point.

The change to 352 and improved use of the wings is what eventually paid off for us.

8 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

We started 451 with Clarkson in an advanced midfield role and Sutton as a lone striker.

At half time I said Sutton was too isolated and not getting the service. Not sure if the wingers were afraid if being clobbered but they didn't beat their men or get balls across to Sutton.

First substitution was to change to a 442 and it almost cost us the game. I can see why Ross tried it but we conceded the midfield at that point.

The change to 352 and improved use of the wings is what eventually paid off for us.

Betty for our next manager. :clapping

4 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Maybe not much in it BEK but I thought Clarkson was playing off Sutton and spent most of the first half chasing down their central defence and keeper. Last week he played deeper allowing Morgan and McAllister more scope to push forward. But nonetheless when we went to 3 at the back we definitely had 5 in midfield and more wing play. :)

2 hours ago, Stevie88 said:

Great comeback from the boys & well deserved victory. Naismith has had a very poor season but I think we seen flashes of his former self, hopefully with a bit of belief he can kick on. Magennis & McAlister played very well again and are in there in merit.

The atmosphere was good the last 15 mins, hopefully we can take that kind of support into next weekends game with Dunfermline...As mentioned many times before, hope this can be the turning point of our season, it HAS to be!

I second this.

Edited by St.Ricky

Really liked the game today. Good to see Jack Ross has identified our weaknesses in midfield and has addressed it by filling the midfield with the boys who added lots of energy to that area. We are not being overrun in the midfield anymore and are starting to create. Mallan is looking more like himself in the midfield with support around him. If the boys can see us through to January when Jack can perhaps bring in a couple of midfielders to strengthen that area we can perhaps survive.

Well done Jack Ross and the boys. I feel that a corner has perhaps been turned.

Was in the 1877 club before the game, there's a really good atmosphere about the place with the disabled ramp being opened the young boys getting their chance and management team that really cares and is ambitious. Let's hope that this is just the start of the good things that the new BOD have started to put in place. 

It was good to see Gordon Scott at the disabled ramp along with David Nicol chatting to them. 

5 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Really liked the game today. Good to see Jack Ross has identified our weaknesses in midfield and has addressed it by filling the midfield with the boys who added lots of energy to that area. We are not being overrun in the midfield anymore and are starting to create. Mallan is looking more like himself in the midfield with support around him. If the boys can see us through to January when Jack can perhaps bring in a couple of midfielders to strengthen that area we can perhaps survive.

Well done Jack Ross and the boys. I feel that a corner has perhaps been turned.

Most would hope so but far too early to get excited. :rolleyes:

Would I swap todays victory fot 3 points next week........................aye.