The Jack Ross Interviews Thread

shull

Jack-Ross.jpg
02 November 2016

Jack Ross: I Want To Provide Fans With Something That is Good Enough

SMFC Webteam
 Match Reaction

Jack Ross admitted last night's defeat to Morton at Cappielow last night wasn't good enough. Saints fell to a 3-1 defeat in the Renfrewshire derby after first half goals from Thomas O'Ware and Ross Forbes were added to by a second half strike from Gary Oliver for the home team.

Defender Ben Gordon, recalled by Ross from his emergency loan at Alloa, got his first goal for St Mirren near the death but it wasn't enough to mount what would have been an unlikely comeback. 

The manager believes that Saints failed to match Morton's desire to win the match and it is up to himself and the players to work on that.

Speaking after the match, Jack said: "We were not good enough, we deserved nothing from the game. 

The first half in particular is nowhere near what it needs to be to, not only win a derby match, but to win a game at Championship level in terms of the energy and desire we showed. We failed to match the basic parts of the game that Morton did well, which was the intensity, desire and energy that they showed. If you do that you give yourself an opportunity to win the game and we didn't do that. 

"I apologise to those who were in attendance," he continued. "It won't mean much to them but I understand what they are going through at the moment and it's my responsibility as much as anybody else to try and put that right. Whether I've been here three weeks or three years it continues to be my responsibility and the determination to put that right and the belief is not going to wane. But we need to be a lot better than we were." 

"You can work on other aspects of the game and you can talk to the players and motivate them. I understand where they are at the moment with how the season has gone, there's a fragility about them. But they have two choices in it; they either buckle or they come out and they stand up to it." 

The manager apologised again to the supporters who travelled in great numbers to Greenock last night. Over 1000 Saints made the journey and he said: "I want to apologise. And it's not done to patronise them in anyway, I wouldn't do that if it wasn't deserved. But they deserve an apology.

You have a derby defeat, these things will happen in football at times, but the manner of it was not acceptable. I will take any amount of criticism that will come my way because I want to be the best I can be at this job and right now I'm not doing that because we've not won any of these three games. But I want them to stick by us and I hope that during my tenure I can find ways of making up for disappointments. 

"I know what they are capable of providing. Tonight was indicative of that because, despite how the season has gone, they still travelled in that group of numbers. I am apologising because it's not good enough and I want to provide something that is good enough for them.

"I understand my responsibility," he continued. "I want to put that right and I'll continue to engage with supporters whether it's through these difficult times or whether it's through better times."

One positive note from last night's match was the performance of Kyle Magennis, who replaced Kyle Hutton at half time. The young midfielder, who has impressed with the U20s this season, came on for his debut against Hibernian on Saturday and put in another good showing last night in what the manager believes wasn't an easy environment.

I like him as a player," he said. "I like his attitude. I think he's came on in two difficult circumstances and he's done himself no harm."

11 minutes ago, TopCat said:

' boys tried really hard, was pleased with their effort and commitment. Thought we were unlucky '

Yadadada.

What were you expecting him to say ? He's inherited the poorest squad in a generation from that incompetent wee fud Rae. 

This is going to be a long haul for Jack Ross and James Fowler. 

another useless Muppet,cheap option again,the club and personal is a utter disgrace,hope they all understand they are the worst players ever to play for us,absolute pish,every one of them,do us a favour and lock the gates,can't watch or listen to there shit anymore

Sorry mate but you are not getting this. There is a deep rooted problem within the playing staff. Or another way to say it is an unbalance Jack Ross inherited that. Mary f**kin Popkins could not wave her magic wond to fix this sorry state. Disney could at least rub it out and start again but this is not the magical world of dismay sorry Disney. This is the sad life of reality.

What were you expecting him to say ? He's inherited the poorest squad in a generation from that incompetent wee fud Rae. 

This is going to be a long haul for Jack Ross and James Fowler. 

I argue talent wise the Coughlin squad were worse.

Some of this squad have quality but are not producing it and for me they are stealing a wage for a living.

Langfield arguably is the worst goalkeeper we have ever had and we have had some stinkers over the years.

Load of pish ! 'I went up to speak to the fans to pass on the message , we need togetherness'

Well , the fans have been turning up & over 1000 on Tuesday , don't lay any blame at the fans door.

It's his team , his players , their responsibly 'togetherness' ? Aye , together so far they are pish !

Load of pish ! 'I went up to speak to the fans to pass on the message , we need togetherness'

Well , the fans have been turning up & over 1000 on Tuesday , don't lay any blame at the fans door.

It's his team , his players , their responsibly 'togetherness' ? Aye , together so far they are pish !

ETA:
Before anyone says 'it's not his team' , yes it is , he may not of signed them but he's the boss.

As far as I'm aware , whenever a manager takes over somewhere he assumes responsibility for the staff at the commencement of his employment.

Or are we saying Ross isn't accountable yet for what's happened since his arrival ?

How long is it before his responsibility starts then ?

Totally agree,what puzzles me is not one player is getting angry or nasty,not saying violence is the answer,but would love to see our players do a bit of kicking or elbowing,show us some passion,show us you hurting like us,a see nothing,out with a wimper

Most fans agree , it's not the defeats , it's the manner of defeats & performance.

The players owe Ross & the fans so much more than they are giving.

On 11/1/2016 at 9:22 PM, whydowebother said:
So Mr Ross , as a breath of fresh air to the club , could you provide us with your message to the fans and thoughts not only on tonight's performance , but your overall contribution to the club since your arrival ?

He's been here a month. Get a grip ya walloper.

That's my message to you.

Edited by Soctty

He's been here a month. Get a grip ya walloped.

That's by message to you.

We will overlook your spelling and get to the point.

To ask the manager as to his thoughts on his and the teams performance since his arrival is entirely fair.

My post is not abusive in any way but if we are saying the manager doesn't have questions to answer, then I guess he is unaccountable for himself and the team.

My mistake.

I see you however are quite happy to dish out personal abuse so I'd say perhaps it's your post which is out of context.

22 hours ago, whydowebother said:

We will overlook your spelling and get to the point.

To ask the manager as to his thoughts on his and the teams performance since his arrival is entirely fair.

My post is not abusive in any way but if we are saying the manager doesn't have questions to answer, then I guess he is unaccountable for himself and the team.

My mistake.

I see you however are quite happy to dish out personal abuse so I'd say perhaps it's your post which is out of context.

"happy to dish out personal abuse" - I'd advise getting yer maw to preread the forum before allowing you to be exposed to such abuse in future to shield you from the viscious characters who inhabit the internet...

Back to your point. The manager has been here a month, and gives interviews before and after every match. He has been very clear on what he has thought of each performance and what he expects of the players. I don't think he answers personal pleas from fans on forums, and nor do I think he should.

It is my opinion that there has been a marked improvement on our performances in our last two home matches. The fact that these have not brought us anything in the way of goals or points perhaps points to the way we were playing under the preious manager. the Morton match was unacceptable, and led to senior players being dropped, with youngsters drafted in to replace them.

What I will do is show patience to the manager. More improvement next week could very well see us get a rare win, which would be a welcome boost. Everyone is frustrated, but as a lifelong St Mirren supporter, I've long since learned to cope with my frustration.

^nerve touched

Sadly the interviews may as well be read from the same script every week.

What he is doing so far has yielded no wins, so let's hope he considers his own performance and decisions & relays that to the team.

Then we can perhaps have something worth listening to as opposed the same old excuses.

21 hours ago, whydowebother said:

^nerve touched

Sadly the interviews may as well be read from the same script every week.

What he is doing so far has yielded no wins, so let's hope he considers his own performance and decisions & relays that to the team.

Then we can perhaps have something worth listening to as opposed the same old excuses.

*Please get yer maw to check this post out for abuse before reading*

Do people normally give reasoned responses when a nerve is touched? Or are you perhaps posting yet more garbage.

8 minutes ago, shull said:

Another good interview from Jack.  We really need to get behind this guy and give him all the support we can.  There's a controlled passion in there, and you can see that this is a man who wants to succeed. 

Interesting JR saying the players were actually pretty subdued after the game.

It's obvious that he's doing his utmost to try and shift their attitude: telling them to play with instinct rather than overthinking, having lunch as a group to try and bring everyone closer together, encouraging them to enjoy days like today...

Will take a few results to bring them out of their shells but the manner of that win will hopefully help.

6 hours ago, Drew said:

Another good interview from Jack.  We really need to get behind this guy and give him all the support we can.  There's a controlled passion in there, and you can see that this is a man who wants to succeed. 

The boy asking the questions is also very good.