Saints V Dumbarton

St.Ricky

21 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

We were playing the team that were 2nd bottom of the league and while it may have been an "improvement" the standard of team we were playing was shitier than Morton and we still couldn't score a goal at home.

Looking like the JR gamble has backfired.

You obviously were not at the complete shitfest that was Cappielow on Tuesday where we had passengers hiding and giving no effort whatsoever.

Today the back four looked solid and that was the best the midfield had played all season. We still have no goal scorers in the squad (Hardie missed an open goal from within the six yard box) and a walking disaster that is the keeper. But the guys that did play put in some effort which was the great improvement. The 3 loanees should be punted and Magennis played before Hutton every time. JR can only field a team from the players he has and Rae left him with little to work with. The appointment of JR has not backfired. He needs time to assemble a decent squad.

12 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Wasn't a gamble and it wasn't jack Ross that assembled that shambles of a squad how he is getting any stick at all is crazy. He will need more than a few week to turn this squad around

How many weeks and how's that going to work out if we're isolated at the bottom of the league?

3 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

Oh ffs we were by far the better team today. Langfield must be wondering what made him pass to Dumbarton pkater???  why at half time are the team clapped rightly so of the park due to effort then slated at full time due to a goalkeeping error. I thought the team were really trying today the effort was definitely there. Young boys were outstanding. Jack Ross and the team will come good I see improvement. 

Firstly; we were marginally the better team today - which we can argue for the first time this season in the second division of Scottish football which in general is at an all-time low.

Secondly; although he made one fantastic save before his accustomed clanger, Langfield made one mistake too many today and should no longer be first choice keeper.

Thirdly; the overall performance was better (than what?) and our young players did produce the only glimmer of hope for better things to come.

Fourthly; Jack Ross will have to be given time to turn things round but this will likely not prevent us dropping down to the third division of Scottish football based on our current performances - we are where we belong on merit in this second division.

39 minutes ago, buddygreat said:

Fans want to stop screaming pish at players. It doesn't help players to hear you tell them they're pish. The amount of shit I hear shouted constantly at players is unbelievable. The sub's got it as well, all of them, just when warming up..strong characters needed to ignore that shit but it's a lot of young kids out there..get behind the team FFS

Subs getting abused whilst warming up? Absolutely not a chance that happened.

15 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Wasn't a gamble and it wasn't jack Ross that assembled that shambles of a squad how he is getting any stick at all is crazy. He will need more than a few week to turn this squad around

His results against teams that Rae played earlier in the season are worse with the same squad to work with - we drew with Morton under Rae and got thumped under Ross, drew away to Dumbarton and lost at home against them today.

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

You obviously were not at the complete shitfest that was Cappielow on Tuesday where we had passengers hiding and giving no effort whatsoever.

Today the back four looked solid and that was the best the midfield had played all season. We still have no goal scorers in the squad (Hardie missed an open goal from within the six yard box) and a walking disaster that is the keeper. But the guys that did play put in some effort which was the great improvement. The 3 loanees should be punted and Magennis played before Hutton every time. JR can only field a team from the players he has and Rae left him with little to work with. The appointment of JR has not backfired. He needs time to assemble a decent squad.

We were playing a seriously shit team today, at home, with our new manager arriving here on a white horse, riding in to rescue us.

The new manager bounce has not happened.

Playing the next shitiest team at home doesn't get any easier and we still lost.

You do realise time is something we don't really have?

While I'm far from the type who jump on any managers back, there are plenty on here much better than me at that game, this blind refusal to see any weakness's in JR is astounding.

Yeah, let's wait and see....................while we slide into oblivion.

There's no doubt taking a young inexperience manager was a gamble.

Right now, not in this airy fairy future, it is not happening.

Them's the facts.

Good to read that Sonny from a fan who could not make the game. I'm gutted mate.

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

While I'm far from the type who jump on any managers back, there are plenty on here much better than me at that game, this blind refusal to see any weakness's in JR is astounding.

It certainly wasn't Jack Ross' fault that we lost today.

Our 'keeper makes probably the best save I've ever seen at our new ground, then gifts the opposition a goal.

However, I wasn't convinced about his team selection and tactics against Hibs and Morton, so yes he has to take some  degree of blame for those two games.

No surprise to see Gus' chief boaby sucker liking your post.

4 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

His results against teams that Rae played earlier in the season are worse with the same squad to work with - we drew with Morton under Rae and got thumped under Ross, drew away to Dumbarton and lost at home against them today.

If you had been at the game, you would appreciate that the performance today was a vast improvement but the result arose from a combination of a clanger by the goalkeeper and some poor finishing. All of the players involved were not signed by Jack Ross, but he does have the team playing better than under Alex Rae - the defence was solid and the midfield was more influential than previously was the case under Rae. The other plus point is the fact that our own youth players are now being given a chance - and they did not let us down today.

20 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Pay them off if they aren't willing to leave.

I think he was asking where the replacements would come from, which is a fair point. We can pin our hopes on January all we want but whose to say there will be better players available in our price range that can improve us that are willing to come to us. Rae managed to bring in some decent guys to do a job last year but we weren't marooned to the bottom of the table at that point. January might be too late for us anyway.

A ridiculous individual error cost us today, however as someone pointed out this isn't the first time this season. There's only so often you can get away with saying "Well, you can't legislate for that". And as much as I agree he should be dropped, it's not always been Langfield that's making the mistakes - Gallacher isn't exactly averse to making a ridiculous costly error either.

Anyone know what was going on in the main stand today? Think there were some folk from England up watching the game and they upset the regulars. There was lots of silly shooshing noise in the second half before they got booted out shortly after the goal and they departed calling folk mutants.

23 minutes ago, TopCat said:

How can you say it wasn't a gamble? Jack Ross has no experience of full time management ever, his only experience in this league was taking a part time team down. It was the absolute definition of a gamble.

The issue is we don't have a few weeks, a months more performances like Tuesday and today and we could be 10 points adrift at the bottom of the league.

We needed a fire fighter, someone who could come in and kick arses and get it changed quickly. I'm sure Jack has a 'philosophy' and that and he might even be a good manager one day. If he had a full summer and a pre season he might even have been a success with us.

To give him - indeed to give any rookie - the job when we were bottom of the league in October was madness. Got to feel for him, he's been given an absolute hospital pass and it could finish his managerial career.

You're right though, it's not his fault, you can't expect a rookie like him to turn it around quickly, and you also can't blame him for accepting the appointment. It's the fault of those who appointed the rookie.

A bit rich from someone who was saying pre match that this wasn't a must win as the January transfer window would decide our fate. It current form continues until the window opens it will matter not a jot. I wasn't convinced by the appointed of Ross but I am now convinced we are going down. Squad with no pride or fight being lead by a quiet rookie manager. Doomsday scenario. If he has anything about him Langfield will be publicly dumped tonight, total liability.

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

It certainly wasn't Jack Ross' fault that we lost today.

Our 'keeper makes probably the best save I've ever seen at our new ground, then gifts the opposition a goal.

However, I wasn't convinced about his team selection and tactics against Hibs and Morton, so yes he has to take some  degree of blame for those two games.

No surprise to see Gus' chief boaby sucker liking your post.

While I'm aware TC has a deep love for Gus equally many had a dislike for Rae for all the wrong reasons and are defending JR beyond reason, unlike your mention of a few areas he has shown possible weakness.

As I've mentioned, and it's well documented on this forum, manager bashing isn't my style.

I'm merely pointing out that the facts, at this early stage, are that there has been no real improvement as all the bluster about green shoots mean nothing as results/points are all that matters, especially in our current predicament.

A bit rich from someone who was saying pre match that this wasn't a must win as the January transfer window would decide our fate. It current form continues until the window opens it will matter not a jot. I wasn't convinced by the appointed of Ross but I am now convinced we are going down. Squad with no pride or fight being lead by a quiet rookie manager. Doomsday scenario. If he has anything about him Langfield will be publicly dumped tonight, total liability.

Well of course the window will decide our fate. We made up 10 point gaps on teams last season from the window onwards. We aren't relegated because of today by any means, but we will go down unless we get it right in the window.

First home game of the season that I've missed as I'm in Tenerife, went to my uncles house to watch the game on St. Mirren TV....

Sometimes I wonder why I bother as I'm sure everyone leaving cappielow on Tuesday night would've been thinking! This team look dead and buried and not up for the relegation fight that we are in.

Based on what we've been witnessing, we will be watching our beloved team playing in the 3rd tier of Scottish football next season, unbelievable.

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

While I'm aware TC has a deep love for Gus equally many had a dislike for Rae for all the wrong reasons and are defending JR beyond reason, unlike your mention of a few areas he has shown possible weakness.

As I've mentioned, and it's well documented on this forum, manager bashing isn't my style.

I'm merely pointing out that the facts, at this early stage, are that there has been no real improvement as all the bluster about green shoots mean nothing as results/points are all that matters, especially in our current predicament.

I thought Rae was a decent appointment. However, although he signed some decent players (and some utterly shit ones), the balance of the squad he assembled was totally wrong and IMO he deserved to go.

I couldn't have cared less which football team he supported, as long as he did the business for us.

Edited by FTOF

Guest TPAFKATS

I genuinely thought we would win today. Lack of goals is as worrying as the ones we are conceding, if not more so.
In 40 years of watching I don't recall it being this bad.

12 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

If you had been at the game, you would appreciate that the performance today was a vast improvement but the result arose from a combination of a clanger by the goalkeeper and some poor finishing. All of the players involved were not signed by Jack Ross, but he does have the team playing better than under Alex Rae - the defence was solid and the midfield was more influential than previously was the case under Rae. The other plus point is the fact that our own youth players are now being given a chance - and they did not let us down today.

As much as we did play better, Dumbarton are absolutely shite.

I didn't think we were too bad today. We dominated possession throughout, and were clearly the better team (granted,  that's not saying a great deal as Dumbarton are shite).

Langfield's inexplicable f**k up knocked the stuffing out the players - you could visibly see their heads go down. Our inability to finish was the other crucial factor on the day. We must have had at least 10 more than decent opportunities.  I think the application was there, for the most part, but composure was missing.

Dumbarton are hugely fortunate to leave will all 3 points, but that is little comfort. I've been confident that we won't be relegated, but seeing us play a bit better than during the initial phase of the season yet failing to improve our position suggests otherwise.

Every week that passes without a good result will only pile the pressure on, and I fear that a group of players already low on confidence will struggle to muster the wherewithal to turn this round. I don't imagine the January window will make any significant impact, so, in summary, I now fear that we are well and truly f**ked.

No doubt today was a kick in the haw maws but we need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and do everything we can to reverse this slide. As fans we must continue to back the team and aim to escape relegation - we may wheel and deal in Jan window but 100% from management, players and fans is only way we will get out of this

Thought the young guys all did well and the most solid our defence has looked all season, another individual error but I still think Langfield is a better keeper than Gallagher, langfields error was no worse than Hardie missing from under the bar. 

Encouraging signs but TBH we probably need a crap performance with a win more than an OK performance and a defeat.