Former Pupils of Camphill or Trinity High

Longtimecoming

I am a supporter of Beith Juniors and regularly contribute to the Junior section on here.

One of our supporters passed away over the weekend at the age of 80.

His name was Willie McDougall and he was a tech teacher at both the above schools.

Just thought I'd post on here as I'd imagine some on here may have been taught by him.

He was a total gentleman.

May he rest in peace.

Edited by Longtimecoming

Oh, my Dad almost certainly will know him then, he played in the school band and still helps out with the Port Glasgow high school band now, 18 years after he retired! I'm seeing him tomorrow so will mention to him. He taught science (specifically chemistry), and when he was at Camphill helped run the school football team.

11 hours ago, zurich_allan said:

Oh, my Dad almost certainly will know him then, he played in the school band and still helps out with the Port Glasgow high school band now, 18 years after he retired! I'm seeing him tomorrow so will mention to him. He taught science (specifically chemistry), and when he was at Camphill helped run the school football team.

I was in the original Camphill. Wondering about your chemistry teaching Dad. By any chance was your grandfather a primary school headmaster?

13 hours ago, Longtimecoming said:

Thanks mate.

He was also a captain in the BB, played piano in a band and had time for each and every person he met.

I will miss him greatly as will the town of Beith.

Beith had a piano band!?

must have been a bugger to march behind.  

I played in a bugle band (8th big drum) and pipe band (23rd pipes), never got a chance at a  piano band...

i've been meaning to ask you...

i played against (and beat) 1st Beith BB many times in the Saturday morning fitba - home and away.  Beith was always our toughest match, but the Mighty Eighth always prevailed :)

so I've been intrigued that the town's junior team now uses OUR adjective to describe themselves - and wondered if the choice of name had been influenced by the visits of our much better team?  When did The Mighty monicker take off?

(my first match against Beith on a frozen, snowy Paisley Racecourse pitch, I got a hat-trick and someone converted one of my corners. I never played so well ever again... :( downhill all the way since) 4-0.

25 minutes ago, antrin said:

Beith had a piano band!?

I played in a bugle band (8th big drum) and pipe band (23rd pipes), never got a chance at a  piano band...

i played against (and beat) 1st Beith BB many times in the Saturday morning fitba - home and away.  Beith was always our toughest match, but the Mighty Eighth always prevailed :)

so I've been intrigued that the town's junior team now uses OUR adjective to describe themselves - and wondered if the choice of name had been influenced by the visits of our much better team?  When did The Mighty monicker take off?

(my first match against Beith on a frozen, snowy Paisley Racecourse pitch, I got a hat-trick and someone converted one of my corners. I never played so well ever again... :( downhill all the way since) 4-0.

In the mid 70s.

Reputedly my Uncle shouted it at a game and it stuck.

47 minutes ago, antrin said:

Beith had a piano band!?

No, you've got it wrong. It was the Mighty 4th. (Glenburn) That was our well deserved monicker. Won the league twice in the early 60's, the first time with a wee bit help from Archie Gemmill. I got moved to outside left when he was available. Beith was a bugger of a place to play in but we had some great games there and a few battles as well. 1st. Kilbirnie was another tough fixture. Don't remember ever losing to the 8th. Maybe that's selective memory all the same.

I was in the original Camphill. Wondering about your chemistry teaching Dad. By any chance was your grandfather a primary school headmaster?

No, must be someone different you're thinking about. One of my grandfathers was a french polisher in Partick, and the other was a north sea fisherman. My dad taught at Camphill from (I think) 1971-1980, then at Port Glasgow High from 1981-1998 before he retired. He did supply after he retired at Paisley Grammar from 1998-2000, then supply at Gryffe High from about 2001-2008 when he stopped for good.

21 hours ago, RickMcD said:

No, you've got it wrong. It was the Mighty 4th. (Glenburn) That was our well deserved monicker. Won the league twice in the early 60's, the first time with a wee bit help from Archie Gemmill. I got moved to outside left when he was available. Beith was a bugger of a place to play in but we had some great games there and a few battles as well. 1st. Kilbirnie was another tough fixture. Don't remember ever losing to the 8th. Maybe that's selective memory all the same.

It is. :P

21 hours ago, Longtimecoming said:
22 hours ago, antrin said:

In the mid 70s.

IN THE MID-60s...

Reputedly my Uncle shouted it at a game and it stuck.

Eta

to adjust a senior moment.

• 1 year later...
On 17/10/2016 at 1:42 PM, zurich_allan said:

No, must be someone different you're thinking about. One of my grandfathers was a french polisher in Partick, and the other was a north sea fisherman. My dad taught at Camphill from (I think) 1971-1980, then at Port Glasgow High from 1981-1998 before he retired. He did supply after he retired at Paisley Grammar from 1998-2000, then supply at Gryffe High from about 2001-2008 when he stopped for good.

Just stumbled upon this thread inadvertently and was curious who your Dad was (will obvs understand if you’d prefer not to say). I attended Camphill from 1978-82 so I would definitely have known him.

Science teachers I remember off the top of my head were Mr. Wiggins, Mr. Burns, Mr. Little, Mr Black and Dr. (Doc) McCallum. 

Every one of them a “character” in their own right. 

14 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Just stumbled upon this thread inadvertently and was curious who your Dad was (will obvs understand if you’d prefer not to say). I attended Camphill from 1978-82 so I would definitely have known him.

Science teachers I remember off the top of my head were Mr. Wiggins, Mr. Burns, Mr. Little, Mr Black and Dr. (Doc) McCallum. 

Every one of them a “character” in their own right. 

Also Miss Russell :wub:

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Oh yes. Forgot about Banarjee and Cassels. Don't remember McRae though.

Head of Physics and took the badminton club, I didn't arrive at Camphill until 81/82 so he may have only just been new to the school at that point.