Scottish Court Backs Minimum Alcohol Price

Kendo

Difficult to condemn any attempt at adressing Scotland's long standing alcohol problems and probably the 1st real attempt by any public body to do so but no doubt plenty will do (even a few on here no doubt !).  My only ciriticism is that even 50p per unit is too low to make a real difference.

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Difficult to condemn any attempt at adressing Scotland's long standing alcohol problems and probably the 1st real attempt by any public body to do so but no doubt plenty will do (even a few on here no doubt !).  My only ciriticism is that even 50p per unit is too low to make a real difference.

Could someone post some examples what this will really mean to some drinks?

Will it mean a rise in pub prices?

If so, the pub trade will see a continual decline, which would be a pity.

1 minute ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Cheapest bottle of wine would be £4.69. Cans of lager 4% would cost a minimum of £1. And a bottle of 70cl whisky or vodka will cost at least £14.00.

What about white lightning or whatever that cheap very strong cider is called?

Norway used to have much lower prices for drink than it has today as such the country suffered with drink problems in the population. Norway decided to put a high tax on alchol to combat the problem. All that happend was home brew kits went through the roof. Most Nogies now drink heavily in the house before they go out so high tax does not work. However cheap torpedo bottles of cyder and beer in the uk make it easy for the young to get plastered this where our problem lies. Also we don't educate enough about over consumption of acholic drinks. It's a hard one to fix.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Doesn't matter to me, I only buy expensive drink at home and no drink available out here. :rolleyes:

It'll be interesting to see how this works out.

Let's hope it sees a drop in alcohol consumption and a reduction in violence and deaths related to alcohol.

26 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Cheapest bottle of wine would be £4.69. Cans of lager 4% would cost a minimum of £1. And a bottle of 70cl whisky or vodka will cost at least £14.00.

I don't know of anyone who pays less than that currently for their alcohol.

Haven't you seen the current advert for the Morrisons "wine event" where all selected bottles are £4 !

43 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Norway used to have much lower prices for drink than it has today as such the country suffered with drink problems in the population. Norway decided to put a high tax on alchol to combat the problem. All that happend was home brew kits went through the roof. Most Nogies now drink heavily in the house before they go out so high tax does not work. However cheap torpedo bottles of cyder and beer in the uk make it easy for the young to get plastered this where our problem lies. Also we don't educate enough about over consumption of acholic drinks. It's a hard one to fix.

It's not really. Just wind the clock back to the early 80's. Limit the number of off sales licenses available in each area and bring in legislation that prohibits supermarkets from selling alcohol in their main retail units. It won't stop the determined drinker but it would reduce the number of more casual alcohol consumers who buy their bottles of wine while getting in a pizza or a chicken for dinner. 

I've never had any real objection to the principle of minimum alcohol pricing but at these prices it will have a really limited effect, and allowing the retailer and the manufacturer to retain the extra profits seems silly. Increasing taxation on alcohol - the more normal way of controlling alcohol prices in the UK - would have meant that the increased revenue could have been ring-fenced for better education on the effects of alcohol. 

1 minute ago, tony soprano said:

Yeah let's go back to the 1980's cos Scotland didn't have a problem with alcohol then.
Jeezo

It had far less of a problem. You certainly didn't get as many pissed up teenage girls as you do today. And there weren't anywhere near as many so called "middle class" drinkers getting through a bottle of wine every night. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I'll assume you don't have a clue about the damage "cheap poxy booze" does or you're just plain stupid? :wacko:

Don't really care mate to be honest no, certainly not stupid, stupidity is people making comments on others viewpoints whilst thinking of their own. Basically your motto. "Assume"

Some rockets want to die on cheap cider or whatever just means more care for those that need it.....

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

It had far less of a problem. You certainly didn't get as many pissed up teenage girls as you do today. And there weren't anywhere near as many so called "middle class" drinkers getting through a bottle of wine every night. 

You got facts and figures on that one..... seem to remember Scotland leading heart/ liver disease for last 40/50 years.

Love the comment on the middle class- whats that exactly ? Do Tories still think we have a middle class...........

As I said far more important ways to address society rather supporting those who abuse it. Want to drink. want to escape---- jump in in the sea......

19 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

You got facts and figures on that one..... seem to remember Scotland leading heart/ liver disease for last 40/50 years.

Love the comment on the middle class- whats that exactly ? Do Tories still think we have a middle class...........

As I said far more important ways to address society rather supporting those who abuse it. Want to drink. want to escape---- jump in in the sea......

Indeed.

Educating people with regards to the main causes of CHD would be a start.......................

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Don't really care mate to be honest no, certainly not stupid, stupidity is people making comments on others viewpoints whilst thinking of their own. Basically your motto. "Assume"

Some rockets want to die on cheap cider or whatever just means more care for those that need it.....

Indeed, stupid. ^^^^^^^^^  :lol:

(Could use narrow minded, short sighted, selfish, naïve but stupid seems to cover all bases)

Edited by faraway saint