Best Gerry Rafferty album ?

munoz

Stealers Wheel.

Gerry Rafferty and Joe Egan.

"Stuck In The Middle With You" on that LP must have made Gerry a fortune which is a bit bizarre because that isn't close to being the best track on the album. "Late Again" is the stand out track, and there are probably four or five other tracks on that album better than SITMWY.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Stealers Wheel.

"Stuck In The Middle With You" on that LP must have made Gerry a fortune which is a bit bizarre because that isn't close to being the best track on the album. "Late Again" is the stand out track, and there are probably four or five other tracks on that album better than SITMWY.

Supposedly Baker Street made him 80 grand a year, every year from when he wrote it until he died. 

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:41 PM, munoz said:

Supposedly Baker Street made him 80 grand a year, every year from when he wrote it until he died. 

Joe Egan told me it was "Stuck in the middle with you" that was the real gold mine mainly due to Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs. (always get them 2 mixed up.

Said featuring in the film was like winning the lottery. 

Edited by davidg

Can I have my money back , and an Album titled Gerry  Rafferty are both very good , both were sort of re released on the transatlantic label during the early seventies , the songs were recorded before Stealers  Wheel were formed and the albums were  released after Suck in the Middle . You could probably buy them for an old record shop for about a tenner each

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Can I have my money back , and an Album titled Gerry  Rafferty are both very good , both were sort of re released on the transatlantic label during the early seventies , the songs were recorded before Stealers  Wheel were formed and the albums were  released after Suck in the Middle . You could probably buy them for an old record shop for about a tenner each

I love typos.  :)

Hard to imagine anyone writing a song about Polo Mints...

On 10/22/2016 at 0:45 PM, munoz said:

I bought "snakes and ladders " today to almost complete my Gerry solo vinyl collection (still need night owl) . 

Whats your favourite ? 

Like you have nearly all Gerry , Humblebums , Steeler Wheel albums. Absolutely love On A Wing & Prayer don't think it was ever available on vinyl sadly. That album was wrote during the break up of his marriage he put a lot of heart into that album. Think I might have a spare copy of Night Owl will have a look. if so will pm you. Dont want anything for it.

Got to see Gerry in the Edinburgh Playhouse front row seats, just love the guys music so talented. 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Like you have nearly all Gerry , Humblebums , Steeler Wheel albums. Absolutely love On A Wing & Prayer don't think it was ever available on vinyl sadly. That album was wrote during the break up of his marriage he put a lot of heart into that album. Think I might have a spare copy of Night Owl will have a look. if so will pm you. Dont want anything for it.

Got to see Gerry in the Edinburgh Playhouse front row seats, just love the guys music so talented. 

I managed to get a copy of Night Owl last night online , but thanks anyway for the thought . 

I was talking to guy who owns a record shop in the west end of Glasgow . He was saying that since his death , the availability of his records have been far harder to come by . I suppose this is the norm unfortunately .

10 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Best name in the original Stealers Wheel line up has to be Aerial Bender ( who I think was also in M the Hoople ) , changed his name by deed poll after an evening vandalising cars

He wasn't known as Aerial Bender until Mott. He was Luther Grosvenor in Stealers Wheel. Ian Hunter came up with the AB name because Grosvenor , on joining Mott , didn't want to change his name, but Hunter insisted saying it was part of the contract !

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:35 PM, Wilbur said:

Stealers Wheel.

Joe managed to buy a house with his royalties from SITMWY(Reservoir Dogs).Late again was written by Joe and i agree with you 100% it is indeed the stand out track.When Stealers Wheel were on TOTP,S back in the day my house was jammed full as we were the only family with a colour telly.Many a day the Egans house in Arran Drive Glenburn was the place to be as the extremely talented family would entertain everyone with their musical jam sessions.Auld Paddy Egan sitting with his wee hauf.Lovely memories indeed and a truly wonderful family.

1 hour ago, northendsaint said:

Joe managed to buy a house with his royalties from SITMWY(Reservoir Dogs).Late again was written by Joe and i agree with you 100% it is indeed the stand out track.When Stealers Wheel were on TOTP,S back in the day my house was jammed full as we were the only family with a colour telly.Many a day the Egans house in Arran Drive Glenburn was the place to be as the extremely talented family would entertain everyone with their musical jam sessions.Auld Paddy Egan sitting with his wee hauf.Lovely memories indeed and a truly wonderful family.

Joe Egan released a Solo Album after Stealers Wheel , think it might have been called Late Again , but can,t remember , has anyone got a copy , or heard the album ?

I'm good friends with Joe's son, never knew them when they were in Glenburn, but had a couple of great Hogmanay's with them round at their house in Renfrew when they were there in the late 90s / early 00s. As you say, a great family. I felt so so sad for them at their daughter's funeral last year, no parent should have to bury their own child.

32 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Joe Egan released a Solo Album after Stealers Wheel , think it might have been called Late Again , but can,t remember , has anyone got a copy , or heard the album ?

It's available on YouTube....

Edited by antrin