The Outcast Comedian

Bud the Baker

Watched an interesting program on Sky Arts the other night about Andrew Lawrence who has been ostracized by the mainstream comedy community for comments made on Twitter.

Despite insisting that he is ‘not a political comic’, Lawrence’s 500 word blogpost hit out at ‘panel shows like Mock The Week’ where ‘aging, balding, fat men, ethnic comedians and women-posing-as-comedians, sit congratulating themselves on how enlightened they are about the fact that UKIP are ridiculous and pathetic.’

‘The reason UKIP have resonated with voters,’ he continues, ‘is because all the other parties are too spineless to tackle the issue of immigration.’

‘For every wonderful, welcome skilled worker our open borders bring into this country, there are also benefit tourists and criminals … Can’t say that I’m a UKIP supporter, but I can see why other people are, and I don’t disrespect them for it.’

Although recent events might not have helped his case I kinda agree with him and haven't watched MTW or Have I Got News For You in yonks as I find them unbearably smug. Oddly the one comedian to offer some support to Lawrence was Al Murray (The Pub Landlord) whose comic persona has overturned his creators desire to portray him as a grotesque

12 minutes ago, scottd said:

Outcast, possibly, because he isn't funny?  Although how would that explain Michael McIntyre's success?

Yeah meant to include in the OP that I found the portions of his act televised unfunny and his references to his post (?) on Twitter and the ensuing spat, particularly with Dara O'Briain excessively self-pitying.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/dara-obriain-reacts-to-bitter-self-delusional-andrew-lawrences-comments-about-balding-fat-comedians-9823733.html

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

I believe that Al Murray has a relation thats in UKIP or some similiar far right party emoji476.png

Are you not confusing it with the man himself who formed the Free United Kingdom Party (FUKP) and stood against Nigel Farage at the last election?  He is a bit of a posh boy as he is in line of succession for the Duke of Atholl and Baron Strange amongst others and is a descendant of William Makepeace Thackeray.  He's also the great-nephew of Stephen Murray who had a reasonably successful career but is best remembered as  Number 1, later Lieutenant Commander Murray in The Navy Lark (at least he is to me)!