St Mirren v Spartans Scottish Cup 3rd Round 29/11/16

shull

Wasn't at the game but can't argue with the scoreline. Firstly it's good to be through. However, as we've seen after every other cup win this season, we can't read anything into it regarding any possible improvement in our league form. If only we could play lowland league teams after they've had a day at work every week.. Cue the 'we soon will be' jokes.

Oh and I thought we might actually keep our first clean sheet since July tonight .... Nope :lol:

We played well against a very poor Spartans and passed up a few decent chances with their keeper also making some smart saves. They scored with their one shot on target but it was poor defending from the buds when you feel we had taken the foot of the gas and got slack at the back.

The youngsters played well and there is talent in that group of players despite what some might say on here. Beating Spartans doesn't make us world beaters but there is hope and we have to continue to believe and back the young players and new management team.

I would urge every St Mirren fan to remain positive and back the team at every opportunity. We have to stay positive and we still have a fighting chance of turning our fortunes round in the league. :-)

Some positives. Jason played well and outstanding goals by Mallan and McAllister. Still not convinced either by the back four or by the front two. Not quite sure who was playing at the back after the subs.  Irvine Naismith Baird and Quinn? or was it meant to be three at the back. Not sure the players knew what was supposed to be happening.  

Sutton and Shanks played ok but looked a bit disjointed.  Too many balls into the box found no one there due to them both being slow as a week in jail (allegedly). 

But can't complain 

Edited by insaintee

Went to the game against my better judgement but can't fault the team on how they played, very quick tempo and wiped the floor with an extremely poor Spartans side. They were giving us far too much space in the first half and we made them pay... second half they were slightly better but was a walk in the park really.

hopefully we can take some confidence from that and claim our first win on Saturday.

Edited by Stevie88

Anything positive to say ? 

You'll be pissed off Shankand bagged a couple . 

We won 5-1 and we're through? What more positives can we take? I wasn't at the game so can't comment on individual performances.

I've never doubted Shanklands ability to score against part time teams, especially ones from the lower reaches of Scottish football. It's no surprise that his only goals this season have came against Edinburgh City, Albion Rovers and now Spartans.

If (when?) we get relegated he might be worth a shot in league 1. He certainly isn't up to it in the Championship sadly.

The midfield movement and energy from Mallan, McAllister, Morgan and McGennis allowed us to overrun them in the first half. I wonder how we would have done with the previous sluggish midfield prior to Jack Ross coming in. 

The second half we threatened to run riot, lost a goal after substituting both centre backs. Something that wouldn't happen in a league game.

Overall hard to know what to make of it. However the youngsters were outstanding.

Would that previously unseen 'midfield movement' be down to the simple fact that Spartans weren't equipped to pressurise Saints, so the lads could lift their eyes and move forward rather simply all hands to the deck defending fruitlessly...?

As a Buddie I have always had to be optimistic, but this current situation makes me scared of silver linings....

7 hours ago, shull said:

I am assuming there will be a Minute's Silence for our former legendary Coach, David Provan who passed away at the weekend. 

Really goes without saying. 

He was partly responsible for a great St Mirren Era and the nurturing of the fabulous Fergies Furies. 

There will be a Tannoy announcement, I 'm sure. 

RIP Davie 

Sorry Mr Provan

Our Club is broken presently and have no class.

R.I.P. David

Would that previously unseen 'midfield movement' be down to the simple fact that Spartans weren't equipped to pressurise Saints, so the lads could lift their eyes and move forward rather simply all hands to the deck defending fruitlessly...?

As a Buddie I have always had to be optimistic, but this current situation makes me scared of silver linings....

Was going to say... I remember us over running Edinburgh City's midfield earlier in the season with the 'sluggish midfield'.