St Mirren v Spartans Scottish Cup 3rd Round 29/11/16

shull

Don't know how accurate it is but I've heard it cost around £1k per day to run it.

I wouldn't get it repaired right now and if it was working I would have been reluctant to switch it in for this game. It would need to be an additional live televised game (where extra money was involved) or a game we're expecting a large attendance before I would switch it on.

Buy some covers in the meantime and take your chances with the protection they offer.

Edited by davidg

Don't know how accurate it is but I've heard it cost around £1k per day to run it.

I wouldn't get it repaired right now and if it was working I would have been reluctant to switch it in for this game. It would need to be an additional live televised game (where extra money was involved) or a game we're expecting a large attendance before I would switch it on.

Buy some covers in the meantime and take your chances with the protection they offer.

I agree David. Not a requirement to have it unless we are in the top Division, so we should only have it fixed & operational when it's financially prudent to do so.

15 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

thought you were all in it together. so it's Gordon's fault. club is in a shambles. training ground has a few problems as well somebody has to step up and get things done.

No Gary,as usual your deflecting away from yourself being wrong again,the shambles left by the old regime is what is continuing - broken heating,rotten wooden floors etc., at Ralston.The wooden floors at Ralston are currently being repaired,so someone has stepped up and is getting things done.Gordon is working to clear up the mess he has inherited.The mess was always going to happen,i don't blame the old regime for it happening,i think it's been typical of their couldn't care less attitude over the last 3 years that these things have been left to rot by them and the previous CEO.

Having aquired a number of businesses over the years I have always found issues that the previous owners could have, perhaps should have done better. Stating the obvious - why would anyone buy a business / football club unless they felt they could improve it? 

In other words - nothing unusual so far. Frustrating - yes of course. 

3 hours ago, davidg said:

I have come round to this way of thinking as well now,still a bit miffed that it was not made known to the fans by the old chairman and the new chairman should have reported it as soon as he knew about it.No lessons learned from the south stand fiasco which saw away fans being sold ST holders seats without prior consultation with those ST holders.If we were made aware of the heating system being broken then there would hardly have been any moaning about it."The U S H is in need of repair and at the moment it is not financially viable to have it repaired" that's all it would have taken for me to be aware on Monday of last week (when the forecast was for several days of frost) that there would be a fair chance the game would be off.

4 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Having aquired a number of businesses over the years I have always found issues that the previous owners could have, perhaps should have done better. Stating the obvious - why would anyone buy a business / football club unless they felt they could improve it? 

In other words - nothing unusual so far. Frustrating - yes of course. 

I know it's not unusual for businesses to be run down when the current owners were aware they would soon be shot of the business.I have worked in lower management for a few companies in the building trade where that has happened.I just don't understand why people still defend the old regime despite their failings,people are still saying they done a good job when obviously they didn't at the end.

1 minute ago, buddiecat said:

I know it's not unusual for businesses to be run down when the current owners were aware they would soon be shot of the business.I have worked in lower management for a few companies in the building trade where that has happened.I just don't understand why people still defend the old regime despite their failings,people are still saying they done a good job when obviously they didn't at the end.

I don't get on their backs. They got their loans back and been able to obtain value for their shares. They did some good stuff too so again I credit them for those but I do not laud them.

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

I don't get on their backs. They got their loans back and been able to obtain value for their shares. They did some good stuff too so again I credit them for those but I do not laud them.

The problem is they lauded themselves whilst knowing they were leaving a rotting infrastructure behind them.

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I'm still in utter disbelief that (presumably) adults still go out into their own gardens to carry out ad hoc "pitch inspections" with of all things a screwdriver. Unbelievable !!!

I believe it,because i done it yesterday,i saw that there was a thaw on and that was whilst i was in my garden which is quite near the stadium,i had my toolbox with me it had a screwdriver sticking out of it,i took the screwdriver out and tested the ground with it to see how far it had thawed out.I was not doing a pitch inspection as there are no football matches played in my garden,i was simply finding out how hard the ground was out of curiosity and to give myself an idea of how long it might take to thaw out.

Quite why you want to question whether i'm an adult or not has me baffled,everyone performs ad hoc actions frequently you know.

1 hour ago, buddiecat said:

I believe it,because i done it yesterday,i saw that there was a thaw on and that was whilst i was in my garden which is quite near the stadium,i had my toolbox with me it had a screwdriver sticking out of it,i took the screwdriver out and tested the ground with it to see how far it had thawed out.I was not doing a pitch inspection as there are no football matches played in my garden,i was simply finding out how hard the ground was out of curiosity and to give myself an idea of how long it might take to thaw out.

Quite why you want to question whether i'm an adult or not has me baffled,everyone performs ad hoc actions frequently you know.

The referee uses a key to inspect a pitch

No grass parks without USH where played on in the West of Scotland yesterday

In fact the Astro my team was playing on became a farce about 4.00pm as the players couldn't keep their feet on it

20 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Why all the moaning?
We complain when games are called off late.

As for the under soil heating... Id rather NOT have it fixed. Dreadful waste of cash which does little to help the condition of the pitch.

If it is cold enough to require undersoil heating, it is too cold to be expected to sit in our tin refrigerator watching football.

While I am sympathetic to posts questioning the costs of running undersoil heating, if we don't fix it sooner rather than later and if we end up having a colder winter it could end up costing us a place in the Championship or money for players in January if we have a few postponements in November, December, January and february because we have no working undersoil heating or pitch covers (maybe we could sweet talk Beith Juniors into borrowing theirs?). The gap between us and the two teams immediately above us in the league is big enough at the moment without us having a few postponements and the other teams getting more points on the board while we are frozen out of Greenhill Road. I'd imagine we also want to fulfil as many Satuday afternoon home ties in December and January to give Jack Ross (or his successor) cash to spend in January.

34 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

While I am sympathetic to posts questioning the costs of running undersoil heating, if we don't fix it sooner rather than later and if we end up having a colder winter it could end up costing us a place in the Championship or money for players in January if we have a few postponements in November, December, January and february because we have no working undersoil heating or pitch covers (maybe we could sweet talk Beith Juniors into borrowing theirs?). The gap between us and the two teams immediately above us in the league is big enough at the moment without us having a few postponements and the other teams getting more points on the board while we are frozen out of Greenhill Road. I'd imagine we also want to fulfil as many Satuday afternoon home ties in December and January to give Jack Ross (or his successor) cash to spend in January.

Beith juniors game was called off yesterday,due to,...............Wait for it.............A frozen pitch.Financially it's probably cheaper to put games off rather than spend on the heating,not ideal i know and not something i particularly like,but flushed with cash we are not.

2 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

The referee uses a key to inspect a pitch

No grass parks without USH where played on in the West of Scotland yesterday

In fact the Astro my team was playing on became a farce about 4.00pm as the players couldn't keep their feet on it

FFS don't tell Ayrshire Saints about the key,i think he maybe didn't get any milk in his porridge this morning,or something similar to that.I got my adulthood questioned by him because i used a screwdriver to see how solid the ground in my garden was.

45 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Beith covers were borrowed from Morton

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I'm still in utter disbelief that (presumably) adults still go out into their own gardens to carry out ad hoc "pitch inspections" with of all things a screwdriver. Unbelievable !!!

Oh I forgot to mention, i don't still go out and check the ground condition with a screwdriver,it's the first time i've done it.

3 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

Oh I forgot to mention, i don't still go out and check the ground condition with a screwdriver,it's the first time i've done it.

Off topic a bit but........

did you use a slotted or phillips screwdriver?

1 minute ago, HSS said:

Off topic a bit but........

did you use a slotted or phillips screwdriver?

Not at all off topic John,these things need to be discussed in full,i'm now wary of another dressing down because i stupidly used a slotted one and i'm now thinking if i used a philips or even a cross point one,i might have achieved a more accurate reading of the ground frost situation.But then again maybe i should have gone to JD sports and bought a pair of bright yellow football boots,went straight back to my garden and after putting on said boots,ran about a bit to see if i could.........nah i'm just being silly now.

19 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

I said "still" as I used to do it as a kid back when a postponement used to annoy me. In our current predicament I was quite happy to spend the day doing other things.

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I said "still" as I used to do it as a kid back when a postponement used to annoy me. In our current predicament I was quite happy to spend the day doing other things.

Did you use a Philips,slotted or cross point screwdriver though ? apparently it may be a question of which is best or is the referees' key method the preferred option.