January Punt or Keep.

TopCat

I see a few would retain Walsh which surprises me a bit. At one point I thought the guy looked as if he would be an asset however I have changed my opinion now. He is lazy and doesn't track back or tackle. He is also very slow in thought and tends to pass inside instead of taking on the full back. He waits for things to happen instead of making them and his running off the ball is non-existent. Last night he was dire and rightly subbed at half-time.

Maybe he is a confidence player but we are a team at the bottom of the League just now with little scope to massage anyone's confidence. And he is only one of three that we can punt to bring in replacements that hopefully have a better fighting spirit about them.

Yeah, the January window is important so the OP would like to see 12 :lol: of our current playing staff go, the reality is this won't happen.

The real concern is we have another 2 months before this miraculous January window and if the manager and team don't get their act together we will be doomed no matter who we sign.

The focus should be improving what we have, not throwing a dozen players out and bringing in.......................erm, who? 

Edited by faraway saint

6 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I see a few would retain Walsh which surprises me a bit. At one point I thought the guy looked as if he would be an asset however I have changed my opinion now. He is lazy and doesn't track back or tackle. He is also very slow in thought and tends to pass inside instead of taking on the full back. He waits for things to happen instead of making them and his running off the ball is non-existent. Last night he was dire and rightly subbed at half-time.

Maybe he is a confidence player but we are a team at the bottom of the League just now with little scope to massage anyone's confidence. And he is only one of three that we can punt to bring in replacements that hopefully have a better fighting spirit about them.

I like Walsh, and saw him make things happen when receiving a half half ball from Mallan in midfield, jouk past a couple of tackles and score from a fair distance.  Against Falkirk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37460224

that would have been another loss, if not for Walsh.

he also saved a point against Ayr, last season.

11 hours ago, TopCat said:

There's been some overblown threads this week, describing our November games as 'must win' or 'most important in our history' etc. Blatant nonsense of course, nothing is won or lost in November.

Where things are won or lost is January, and the transfer window. We went into January 2014 level pegging with Motherwell and Ross County. They spent a fortune between them in the window, we sold our best player in McLean. As a direct result they stayed up comfortably and we got relegated. This example is repeated all over football, seasons are made or lost in the mid season window.

Given our position of adrift at the bottom of the second tier I can confidently say - without hyperbole - that this window is the most important in the football clubs history. In 139 years of senior football in Paisley, we have never graced the third tier of the Scottish leagues. Get it wrong this January and we will. What a disgraceful start to the ' SMISA/Scott ' reign that would be.

Therefore, we need to nail it. The manager and the board must be, and I'm sure will be, planning for it already. I don't know how much financial scope we have, I don't know how much GLS is willing to put up. In my punt or keep I'm going to assume he is willing to put his own capital up to secure the full time future of the football club. Maybe that assumption is wrong, we will soon see.

Here's mine, i would keep all the young fellas like Magennis, MacAllister, Stewart, McLear etc. Just talking about the more senior players here:

Langfield - Punt. Said it before. He's the worst first choice keeper I've ever seen at St Mirren. A nice fella, but an absolutely terrible goalie. Mutual consented ASAP as we can't afford a full time GK coach.

Gallagher - Punt. Another hopeless keeper, would only keep him on as number 2.

Naismith - Punt. Was a big fan of Jason when he broke through. Sadly he's lost what he had since that awful injury at the start of last season. He's not up to it anymore and we don't have time for sentimentality.

Webster - Punt. An utter charlatan. The worst St Mirren captain ever. Bye.

Irvine - Punt. An utter charlatan. The second worst St Mirren captain ever. Bye.

Baird - Keep. I like Jack. He isn't the finished article of course, but he will become a very good player at this level I'm sure.

McKenzie - Punt. He's either injured and not playing or playing and shite. Either way, he isn't what we need. Bye.

Gordon - Keep. Might turn out alright, certainly won't be worse than Irvine, Webster and MacKenzie.

Morgan - Keep. One of the few bright sparks this season, good player.

Hutton - Punt. Nowhere near good enough. A poor mans Stuart Carswell.

Quinn - Punt. Either injured and not playing or playing and shite. Either way, he isn't what we need. Bye.

Mallan - Keep. His record speaks for himself. Been poor this season, but I believe he's still our top scorer. Will get double figures from midfield again.

Walsh - Keep. Has a wee knack of scoring, useful from the bench.

Hardie - Punt. Been a big disappointment, back from whence you came lad.

Gallagher. Punt. Remember him? Nope, me neither. Still on the squad list though. Bye.

Shankland - Punt. The kindest way to describe his physical conditioning is... unprofessional. This kid clearly prefers beer and/or burgers instead of keeping himself fit enough to be an effective footballer. Fair enough, his choice, but our problem. He's stinking out our team and has been for months. First out the door for me. Bye.

Clarkson - Punt. At the end of last term, I thought Rae was going to be a success this season. I thought he was going to rinse pretty much the whole squad and build from the bottom. He didn't, he kept faith in the same failed players from last term, and that's why he got sacked.

The alarm bells started ringing for me when he gave this over the hill dud a new deal, he should have been released in the summer along with a host of others. It should surprise absolutely no one that he and Shankland have no league goals or assists between them in November. What a waste of money. Bye.

Sutton. Keep. Record speaks for himself. Has already scored more goals than Clarkson and Shankland combined this season. Despite this, he is on the bench while they both start. Bizarre. Start Sutton every game and he will get 15-20 goals a season.

I make that six senior players from the whole first team squad worth keeping. What do you think?

Its obvious u know feck all about how the world turns TC with your line " nothing lost", you will be telling us next, "Until its mathematically impossible"

So far this season we have beaten 2 teams in our league in the Diddy Cup, we are now 2 games into round 2 in league and   adrift.

Momentum. just doesn't happen, you need ambition, and attitude then comes ability.

Your looking only at ability.

Don't give up the day job mate

I'll be surprised if we're able to move on any of our contracted players - who'd want them?

I'll buck the trend here and say that unless JR can be sure of getting better in the January window I'd keep one of Hardie/Shankland.

Going back a few years (and I wish we could) DL turned the season round by bringing in Kelly & Naismith from the U-20's, now I don't know enough about the young 'uns to suggest who might be ready to make the step up but the gap in standard has got to be less than it was in 2013 and would surely be worth it in order to shake up the complacency in the current first team players - let them know their appearance money is not safe.

We need to find some way of helping Mallann play to his strengths - running onto the ball in attacking situations. Whether this is the currently favoured 4-2-3-1 or some other combo, JR has to get it sorted - NOW!

COYS!

Mallan doesnt have any strengths. From what Ive seen this season he can't pass, can't tackle, can't cross, can't shoot, and hes lost the ability to deliver decent set peices as well. I presume when others talk about playing him in position they must have seen him play as a goalkeeper cause he doesnt seem able of playing anywhere else. Its dishonest of fans to keep ignoring this lads failings because Mallan clearly believes the guff thats posted about him. Why else would he over play the ball as much as he does?

St Mirren f**ked up not grabbing that £60k from Dundee. The way the lad is playing right now thr only way hes got a bright future is if he learns how to become a painter / decorator.

3 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Mallan doesnt have any strengths. From what Ive seen this season he can't pass, can't tackle, can't cross, can't shoot, and hes lost the ability to deliver decent set peices as well. I presume when others talk about playing him in position they must have seen him play as a goalkeeper cause he doesnt seem able of playing anywhere else. Its dishonest of fans to keep ignoring this lads failings because Mallan clearly believes the guff thats posted about him. Why else would he over play the ball as much as he does?

St Mirren f**ked up not grabbing that £60k from Dundee. The way the lad is playing right now thr only way hes got a bright future is if he learns how to become a painter / decorator.

If he had no strengths then why would Dundee be willing to pay even £60k for him?

Trying to sound edgy and "in the know" and failing badly.

It's posts like this that show that even when you're right about a player eg Quitongo, it's not due to knowledge just luck.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Nothing like a total overreaction. Clearing out 10 players in January is madness as there is no way we can fill the squad up again in that period.

We need to strengthen midfield and full back, push Mallan forward behind Sutton. 

What is for certain is if we send back the loanees Hardie, Shankland et al will no doubt go into other squads and score goals...

Here come my tuppence worth

Gallagher -  Punt, Wilks can be number 2

Naismith - Punt

Webster - Punt

Irvine - He can be our new right back

Jordan Stewart - He can be our new left back

Baird - Keep

McKenzie - Punt.

Gordon - undecided. 

Morgan - Keep.

Hutton - Punt. The root of many of our problems. 

Quinn - Punt

Mallan - Punt, over rated.  Cant pass, cant tackle, he can only shoot.  Punt him!!!!

Walsh - Punt. Lewis McLear (our player) is being kept out of the team because of him

Lewis McLear - Our new right mid

Hardie - Punt.

Gallagher - Punt

Clarkson - Punt. Past it and out of shape.

Sutton - Keep

Kyle McAllister - The boy can play, he has a furture, no longer keep these wasters in the team at his expense

Nathan Flannagan - Same as above

Shankland - Bye son, good luck

In fact I would be very much in favour of promoting the majority of our under 20's.  The majority of the lot listed above are insulting our club week in week out.  Clear them out!

Guest TPAFKATS
Yeah, the January window is important so the OP would like to see 12[emoji38]of our current playing staff go, the reality is this won't happen.

The real concern is we have another 2 months before this miraculous January window and if the manager and team don't get their act together we will be doomed no matter who we sign.

The focus should be improving what we have, not throwing a dozen players out and bringing in.......................erm, who? 

A sensible post from faraway.
Someone's hacked his account

14 hours ago, TopCat said:

There's been some overblown threads this week, describing our November games as 'must win' or 'most important in our history' etc. Blatant nonsense of course, nothing is won or lost in November.

Where things are won or lost is January, and the transfer window. We went into January 2014 level pegging with Motherwell and Ross County. They spent a fortune between them in the window, we sold our best player in McLean. As a direct result they stayed up comfortably and we got relegated. This example is repeated all over football, seasons are made or lost in the mid season window.

Given our position of adrift at the bottom of the second tier I can confidently say - without hyperbole - that this window is the most important in the football clubs history. In 139 years of senior football in Paisley, we have never graced the third tier of the Scottish leagues. Get it wrong this January and we will. What a disgraceful start to the ' SMISA/Scott ' reign that would be.

Therefore, we need to nail it. The manager and the board must be, and I'm sure will be, planning for it already. I don't know how much financial scope we have, I don't know how much GLS is willing to put up. In my punt or keep I'm going to assume he is willing to put his own capital up to secure the full time future of the football club. Maybe that assumption is wrong, we will soon see.

Here's mine, i would keep all the young fellas like Magennis, MacAllister, Stewart, McLear etc. Just talking about the more senior players here:

Langfield - Punt. Said it before. He's the worst first choice keeper I've ever seen at St Mirren. A nice fella, but an absolutely terrible goalie. Mutual consented ASAP as we can't afford a full time GK coach.

Gallagher - Punt. Another hopeless keeper, would only keep him on as number 2.

Naismith - Punt. Was a big fan of Jason when he broke through. Sadly he's lost what he had since that awful injury at the start of last season. He's not up to it anymore and we don't have time for sentimentality.

Webster - Punt. An utter charlatan. The worst St Mirren captain ever. Bye.

Irvine - Punt. An utter charlatan. The second worst St Mirren captain ever. Bye.

Baird - Keep. I like Jack. He isn't the finished article of course, but he will become a very good player at this level I'm sure.

McKenzie - Punt. He's either injured and not playing or playing and shite. Either way, he isn't what we need. Bye.

Gordon - Keep. Might turn out alright, certainly won't be worse than Irvine, Webster and MacKenzie.

Morgan - Keep. One of the few bright sparks this season, good player.

Hutton - Punt. Nowhere near good enough. A poor mans Stuart Carswell.

Quinn - Punt. Either injured and not playing or playing and shite. Either way, he isn't what we need. Bye.

Mallan - Keep. His record speaks for himself. Been poor this season, but I believe he's still our top scorer. Will get double figures from midfield again.

Walsh - Keep. Has a wee knack of scoring, useful from the bench.

Hardie - Punt. Been a big disappointment, back from whence you came lad.

Gallagher. Punt. Remember him? Nope, me neither. Still on the squad list though. Bye.

Shankland - Punt. The kindest way to describe his physical conditioning is... unprofessional. This kid clearly prefers beer and/or burgers instead of keeping himself fit enough to be an effective footballer. Fair enough, his choice, but our problem. He's stinking out our team and has been for months. First out the door for me. Bye.

Clarkson - Punt. At the end of last term, I thought Rae was going to be a success this season. I thought he was going to rinse pretty much the whole squad and build from the bottom. He didn't, he kept faith in the same failed players from last term, and that's why he got sacked.

The alarm bells started ringing for me when he gave this over the hill dud a new deal, he should have been released in the summer along with a host of others. It should surprise absolutely no one that he and Shankland have no league goals or assists between them in November. What a waste of money. Bye.

Sutton. Keep. Record speaks for himself. Has already scored more goals than Clarkson and Shankland combined this season. Despite this, he is on the bench while they both start. Bizarre. Start Sutton every game and he will get 15-20 goals a season.

I make that six senior players from the whole first team squad worth keeping. What do you think?

can't argue with any of that,well said tc

1 hour ago, TediousTom said:

Here come my tuppence worth

Gallagher -  Punt, Wilks can be number 2

Naismith - Punt

Webster - Punt

Irvine - He can be our new right back

Jordan Stewart - He can be our new left back

Baird - Keep

McKenzie - Punt.

Gordon - undecided. 

Morgan - Keep.

Hutton - Punt. The root of many of our problems. 

Quinn - Punt

Mallan - Punt, over rated.  Cant pass, cant tackle, he can only shoot.  Punt him!!!!

Walsh - Punt. Lewis McLear (our player) is being kept out of the team because of him

Lewis McLear - Our new right mid

Hardie - Punt.

Gallagher - Punt

Clarkson - Punt. Past it and out of shape.

Sutton - Keep

Kyle McAllister - The boy can play, he has a furture, no longer keep these wasters in the team at his expense

Nathan Flannagan - Same as above

Shankland - Bye son, good luck

In fact I would be very much in favour of promoting the majority of our under 20's.  The majority of the lot listed above are insulting our club week in week out.  Clear them out!

Our U20s are currently 14th out of 17th in the U20 League. I agree that our players should always be ahead of loanees unless the loanee is exceptional and besides Dummet and Newton I have not seen an exceptional loanee in our team. However from what I have seen of the U20s few are ready yet for first team football but I would have some in the squad ahead of Hardie, Walsh and Shankland.

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Our U20s are currently 14th out of 17th in the U20 League. I agree that our players should always be ahead of loanees unless the loanee is exceptional and besides Dummet and Newton I have not seen an exceptional loanee in our team. However from what I have seen of the U20s few are ready yet for first team football but I would have some in the squad ahead of Hardie, Walsh and Shankland.

Goncalves had a decent impact if I remember correctly?

Firstly I believe we will not get relegated.I am a SMISA member and a Shareholder and a Season Ticket Holder.At the outset I would have preferred the appointment of an established experienced manager however we have Jack and must support him.The good thing is that Jamie has good experience with Queens and that should help us.At this time we can only bring in out of contract players(what about Lappin) or an emergency loan signing.If we go down then we just have to rebuild and bounce back.If Livi and Airdrie can sustain full time football on their meagre crowds then we obviously can.There are numerous sides in the Premiership who have played in the third tier among those being Rangers Killie Partick Hamilton etc. tIme to be positive if we can. COYS.

People are deluded if they genuinely believe that we will be able able to offload numerous players in January and replaced them with better alternatives.

At most, we'll send a couple of loanees back, and bring in a couple of players.

I'd send Hardie and Walsh back, and give Shankland an ultimatum that he will join them unless he loses a stone.

I've talked about this before, and was deadly serious - no players will be given a place in the squad if they are wearing those f**king ridiculous coloured boots.  They are an embarrassment, when their occupants can't even find a teammate with a pass!

Another cliché, folks, but it is time to get back to basics. No fannying about, just press teams, harass them for 90 minutes, and bring in a hairy arsed, experienced character to anchor the midfield.

Just now, Magic Monkey said:

Isma? Gowser? Charlie Adam? Graeme Carey, even, was decent... we've had more than a few, but they're still in the minority.

Just now, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Goncalves had a decent impact if I remember correctly?

OK, OK :) . The point being there have been few over the years that have been exceptional and the ones that were deserved to be in before our own U20 players. However last season for example Morgan was left in the U20s while McMullan got a game.

Ben Gordon may need the rest of November to get match fit and get used to playing with his team mates, but it is entirely possible that we are now seeing why he was behind the other defenders Rae was picking ahead of him. On that basis I would suggest it could also be madness to assume that if we promote 2 or 3 players from the U20 they could not do any worse than the current first team players... if we start dropping first team players for our own U20s will we not just revert to the inbalanced squad Murray put together 15 months ago - lots of loaness and U20s trying to make the step up assisted by mostly crocked guys in their 30s (Gow, Thompson last season; Webster, Quinn this season) to assist them. Where we haven't done well for 3 or 4 seasons is bringing in good seasoned pros to help the young talent we have: the last decent experienced players we signed were quite possibly Jim Goodwin; Steven Thompson; and Gary Teale.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

Nothing like a total overreaction. Clearing out 10 players in January is madness as there is no way we can fill the squad up again in that period.

We need to strengthen midfield and full back, push Mallan forward behind Sutton. 

What is for certain is if we send back the loanees Hardie, Shankland et al will no doubt go into other squads and score goals...

I agree FS.

Too many changes would not help.

But the fitness of some players needs to be certain - Quinn (Crucial), Mckenzie (Important), Webster 

I have the feeling that a number of on loan players will move back anyway at the request of their clubs.

It would be great to be able to tell half the squad to do one in January and replace them with better players but both parts of that would cost money we don't have. Ross County regularly did it purely because their chairman was funding it. We can get rid of the loan players easily enough but the rest would need to be paid up because I can't see too many clubs being willing or able to take them off our hands.

Incidentally, what has happened to McAllister, who Rae seemed to be speak highly of? Don't think he's played all season and isn't even getting on the bench now. Stewart also seems to have disappeared from the subs in favour of other youngsters, although I see McLear has resurfaced.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

It would be great to be able to tell half the squad to do one in January and replace them with better players but both parts of that would cost money we don't have. Ross County regularly did it purely because their chairman was funding it. We can get rid of the loan players easily enough but the rest would need to be paid up because I can't see too many clubs being willing or able to take them off our hands.

Incidentally, what has happened to McAllister, who Rae seemed to be speak highly of? Don't think he's played all season and isn't even getting on the bench now. Stewart also seems to have disappeared from the subs in favour of other youngsters, although I see McLear has resurfaced.

The other thing, is that we seem to get the worse out of players and its not just a recent thing.

Clarkson.... scored 8 goals in 8 games then imploded, that's was 2 years ago......

Sutton- Bit player at Hearts , tiny bit player at Fakes

Walsh Hardie didn't even get regular games for Sevco reserves....

Ben Gordon- well we have blasted his confidence

Langfield is 10 years past his sell by date.

Yup its tricky, and just shows on paper means fk all

Imrie, Harkins were total wasters for us.........

We're stuck with the vast majority of this squad unfortunately, it's now up for JR to find something that resembles a team from it. If that means some of the "bigger names" being dropped for some of the younger lads then I'm all for that. But the be all and end all is that we are in a mess as a club and this has been coming for years, I still believe we have the right manager and, but he has a hell of a task on his hands