January Punt or Keep.

TopCat

If he had no strengths then why would Dundee be willing to pay even £60k for him?

Trying to sound edgy and "in the know" and failing badly.

It's posts like this that show that even when you're right about a player eg Quitongo, it's not due to knowledge just luck.

Maybe Dundee reckoned he could paint their stadium for them.

Mallans goalscoring stats are good and there is a You Tube video of him scoring a goal. If their scouting is as shite as St Mirrens thats probably why they were prepared to take a pint on him.

Seriously on a scale of Abercrombie to Fitzpatrick with markers like Lex Richardson, Billy Stark, Ian Ferguson and even Jim Rooney where would you put Stevie Mallan and his inability to find a target with a five yard pass and his slide tackles on nothing at all? Its not being edgy when you're right.

I think you are being harsh on him there. He's a 20 year old boy playing in a shit midfield for a team that have been shit for 3 years! He's not at the level of McGinn or McLean but he is a talent. This season he has been just as awful as the rest and I don't know if he needs an arm round the shoulder or a boot up the backside or maybe he needs the solid holding midfielder we are crying out for.

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Mallans goalscoring stats are good and there is a You Tube video of him scoring a goal. If their scouting is as shite as St Mirrens thats probably why they were prepared to take a pint on him.

Seriously on a scale of Abercrombie to Fitzpatrick with markers like Lex Richardson, Billy Stark, Ian Ferguson and even Jim Rooney where would you put Stevie Mallan and his inability to find a target with a five yard pass and his slide tackles on nothing at all? Its not being edgy when you're right.

Mine's a cider.....:guinness

Meanwhile back on topic Mallan's a decent prospect who may or may not have a successful career ahead of him, who knows that's one of the joys of sport? Billy Stark, why not, he was another player who had plenty of detractors within our support because he wasn't overly physical but we had Abercrombie to balance it out - a good team needs both types. Young players form can stall especially when playing in struggling teams - Chris Iwelumo and Paul Lambert are two who left the club at this level with people saying they'd blown their chance but went on to success elsewhere.

Mallan's had a poor season so far in a team that's lacking a competent (for this level) defensive midfielder but even you admit his scoring stats are good so that, by definition, means your claim that he's got no strengths is wrong and the above post just an attempt to deflect attention from a statement that would embarrass a normal person. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

At the moment, very few of the squad have performed to the required standard. In January, I'd expect the Rangers loans to go back, because we're not using Walsh enough and Hardie is now becoming a whipping boy for some of the support. I think we should try to get in a midfielder, or preferably two, to give us some depth in there, and the ability to play more than two of them in the team at once, and also to give the ability to drop someone who isn't performing.

The team needs a leader, someone who kicks arses on the pitch, drags us on when we're playing badly. Someone like Jim Goodwin would be a great shout...

We also need a capable and fit central defender. McKenzie can't stay fit, Webster is done, and Gordon has apparently now been written off already. Baird is a good young centre back, and needs an old head beside him, who could also help with the leadership missing in the team.

More than any of that, what we need is belief, and motivation, organisation and direction. I think Jack Ross needs longer than 3 weeks to turn things around, and believe we shouldn't be assuming he isn't capable because of results so far. It's a big job, and he needs the fans behind his team, whatever players he puts on the pitch. We've got 4 home games this month, fans need to get behind the team, despite the pitiful nature of last night's collapse, as it's what supporters do.

5 minutes ago, Soctty said:

At the moment, very few of the squad have performed to the required standard. In January, I'd expect the Rangers loans to go back, because we're not using Walsh enough and Hardie is now becoming a whipping boy for some of the support. I think we should try to get in a midfielder, or preferably two, to give us some depth in there, and the ability to play more than two of them in the team at once, and also to give the ability to drop someone who isn't performing.

The team needs a leader, someone who kicks arses on the pitch, drags us on when we're playing badly. Someone like Jim Goodwin would be a great shout...

We also need a capable and fit central defender. McKenzie can't stay fit, Webster is done, and Gordon has apparently now been written off already. Baird is a good young centre back, and needs an old head beside him, who could also help with the leadership missing in the team.

More than any of that, what we need is belief, and motivation, organisation and direction. I think Jack Ross needs longer than 3 weeks to turn things around, and believe we shouldn't be assuming he isn't capable because of results so far. It's a big job, and he needs the fans behind his team, whatever players he puts on the pitch. We've got 4 home games this month, fans need to get behind the team, despite the pitiful nature of last night's collapse, as it's what supporters do.

I wouldn't regard Hardie as being a whipping boy. He has been very disappointing, and hasn't looked interested most times I've seen him feature.

That aside, yes, we have what we have, for now, and need to try and get behind them. We'll still be here (well....some of us will) when these guys have long gone, so even if we are only now thinking of the future, we're relying on the current players to haul us out of this mess.

Just now, Drew said:

I wouldn't regard Hardie as being a whipping boy. He has been very disappointing, and hasn't looked interested most times I've seen him feature.

That aside, yes, we have what we have, for now, and need to try and get behind them. We'll still be here (well....some of us will) when these guys have long gone, so even if we are only now thinking of the future, we're relying on the current players to haul us out of this mess.

Hardie is our joint top league scorer. Only 3 goals, but still. I think all our strikers suffered a bit under Rae from his revolving selection process, whereby he would change his strike partnership almost every game. Indeed, he only played the same front two twice out of his 6 league games - his last two, when he started Sutton and Hardie.

Agree he has been underwhelming, but the team as a whole have been terrible, so difficult for any one player to shine.

It's up to Jack Ross to play a system which both suits the players at his disposal, and suits the club in terms of getting results. Saturday is huge. Again. Every game will be huge until we either get out of this mess, or slip towards the point of no return...hopefully the former.

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Hibs and Dundee were in for Mallan

He will be away in Jan nothing more certain and for sweeties as well

Then we watch with envy as we have with other players who have left us when they start regaining their form

The bottom line is we have players who should do well at this level. Not sure we could get much better like for like. 

The big issue is we don't have a midfield so we can't play a formation to let players with talent flourish. Sort out the midfield and give our players a platform to perform from. All our players haven't just turned bad overnight. 

7 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Off topic, but I have certain users on my ignore list, yet their posts are visible when they are quoted, which they are quite frequently due to the attention seeking nature of their post. Is there a way to get round this?

Hello darling :wub: :lol:

Quote me please somebody.

Scooty is missing me B)

I read all of your posts Scooty. 

Although they are mostly tedious and boring, I will continue to read them. 

You always slip in a wee hilarious gem once in a while and I dinnae want to miss it. 

:lol:

12 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Off topic, but I have certain users on my ignore list, yet their posts are visible when they are quoted, which they are quite frequently due to the attention seeking nature of their post. Is there a way to get round this?

One of many 10 year olds on the Forum. 

Couldn't imagine a grown adult going in a huff and ignoring fellow buddies. 

Absolutely pathetic by Scooty and others. 

Fannies :lol:

19 minutes ago, Soctty said:

10 minutes ago, shull said:

Hello darling :wub: :lol:

Quote me please somebody.

Scooty is missing me B)

7 minutes ago, shull said:

I read all of your posts Scooty. 

Although they are mostly tedious and boring, I will continue to read them. 

You always slip in a wee hilarious gem once in a while and I dinnae want to miss it. 

:lol:

5 minutes ago, shull said:

One of many 10 year olds on the Forum. 

Couldn't imagine a grown adult going in a huff and ignoring fellow buddies. 

Absolutely pathetic by Scooty and others. 

Fannies :lol:

Soctty my friend. 

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

Go into ignore settings and you should have an option to ignore mentions as well as posts. Should do the job.

10 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'll be surprised if we're able to move on any of our contracted players - who'd want them?

Indeed.

There may be a couple that might appeal to lower league clubs, but that would probably mean a pay off of some sort, which isn't going to happen on a large scale.

The only real leeway we have is with Hardie and Walsh who we can dispense with in January, and possibly Shankland.

We'll be fortunate if we're able to sign more than four new players. However, we're hardly an attractive prospect in our current state.

Other than that we pray for a couple of miracle workers from the U-20's.

Ross certainly has his work cut out, to say the least.

Edited by FTOF

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

There may be a couple that might appeal to lower league clubs, but that would probably mean a pay off of some sort, which isn't going to happen on a large scale.

The only real leeway we have is with Hardie and Walsh who we can dispense with in January, and possibly Shankland.

We'll be fortunate if we're able to sign more than four new players. However, we're hardly an attractive prospect in our current state.

Other than that we pray for a couple of miracle workers from the U-20's.

Ross certainly has his work cut out, to say the least.

If the crowds start to plummet then we will be lucky to replace any loan players with further loans or out of contract players

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Go to settings and tick "Ignore your own posts"..........................that'll help. :lol:

He is getting himself in an awful mess over a St Mirren Football Forum.

I think he is an adult, dunno why he can't just bypass a post when he sees a Username that upsets him.

Or maybe he is one of the many 10 year old big greeting faced babies on here.:lol:

KNOWS ALL POSTS ARE PISH BUT DISNAE READ THEM :lol:

Edited by shull

2 minutes ago, shull said:

He is getting himself in an awful mess over a St Mirren Football Forum.

I think he is an adult, dunno why he can't just bypass a post when he sees a Username that upsets him.

Or maybe he is one of the many 10 year old big greeting faced babies on here.:lol:

KNOWS ALL POSTS ARE PISH BUT DISNAE READ THEM :lol:

Hope I'm no getting ignored by Soctty :rolleyes: