Gordon Scott

1 hour ago, Drew said:

In terms of personnel, it was pretty much the only decision available to him aside from promoting kids and dropping squad regulars.

Don't disagree with that Drew but is it possible that Alan McManus got more out of the squad in three games than Jack Ross is just now.................I'm generally an optimist but as soon as we went one down last night I had no belief that we were going to get back into the game.

The three games prior to JR's appointment (Hibs, Falkirk and Dunfermline) we scored six, conceded six, winning one game, losing one game and drawing the other. The three games since JR's appointment (Dundee United, Hibs and Morton) we have conceded seven, scored one and lost all three games. It is entirely possible, of course, that McManus benefitted from the often talked about "dead cat bounce" before JR turned up. My worry is that the small "feel good" factor created when Rae left and we had a couple of decent results has gone, certainly seemed like it listening t those around me last night.

Anyway, onwards and upwards...........JR has had three games and now seen the squad for about a month. Hopefully we can see some sort of improvement and performance on Saturday.

Edited by WeeBud

If I had been at the match last night, I have no doubt that I would have been utterly sickened, so I wouldn't suggest that anyone is overreacting to the result or performance.

I didn't expect us to win, though. Morton are on a run of good form, were at home, and would have been looking to get a monkey of their backs. Saints are languishing at the foot, enduring a truly horrific run of league matches without a win, and have a new manager who will inevitably need to be given time to sort out the mess.

The manner of the defeat does sound alarming, though. I thought there was a spark against United, despite the result. Ross has got a hell of a task on his hands,and I don't envy him it, but he accepted the job knowing that full well, so we should expect to see him instill some drive and commitment in his players come Saturday. It might be a cliche, but that game is as close to a must win as you get, aside from relegation deciders.

Edited by Drew

Need to get a bit real here.

parent clubs wont take back loan players before the end of the loan without the wages being paid up. So unless they get injured Hardie and Walsh are here to January, and Shankland till end of season. 

Dont know what fellow buds reasonably expect in January window as we can only swap like for like, there is no transfer budget, we probably have what we have, save for signing an out of contract player. Ross has got the same players Rae had, in all competitions Rae got four wins, three draws and four losses from this squad, can Ross meet, or beat that?

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Day after feeling a wee bit better. Things are bad the loan players should go back in January to make some space for a couple of midfield players at the very least.

Certainly Hardie should return to his club. Walsh shows glimpses, and we know that Shankland has goals in him (though his physical condition is not acceptable at this level).

I'd sacrifice them all for more strength and grit in midfield, though. That would leave us light up top, however, and Sutton needs a mobile player around him. Maybe pushing Mallan up would be the answer.

You're right, though. The key is strengthening the midfield.

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Day after feeling a wee bit better. Things are bad the loan players should go back in January to make some space for a couple of midfield players at the very least.

Can we not give them an early Christmas present and send them back early,

I am unable to get to away games but at home games Irvine, Sutton, and Clarkson ,all experienced guys and a lot older than the "young superstars" Young Lewis excepted

Again last night I saw the 2nd half on periscope and it seemed Sutton was chasing everything but no help from any "other defenders.

I never subject the players to abuse as a rule, but I fear I may change the habits of a lifetime 

10 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Why is money needed Ian? I was there tonight. I reckon I could find 15 players from the amateur leagues - all under 19 years old - who could have outplayed that St Mirren side tonight. Many of them I know have dealt with Jai Quitongo's ability in a far more convincing manner than Jack Baird and Ben Gordon. It's truly frightening how all of the failures at the club have culminated together to reach this critical mass where the club really look doomed to the third tier for the fist time in history. The lack of a decent scouting network, a youth development programme that has produced nothing but pampered little dickheads who think "pretty football" is passing the ball around at the back for a few minutes before lumping it forward to give the opposition the ball back, there's no fight, no desire, no belief, no courage and certainly no ambition in evidence around the club. And when anyone wants to highlight the glaringly obvious they are immediately turned on by some of the most deluded club supporters in Scottish Football currently (seriously "the team looks good on paper" - what a load of shite) 

On the plus side one thing we did learn tonight was that Div talks a load of pish. Only a few weeks ago he claimed the atmosphere is amazing when fans are allowed to stand. Here tonight we saw all the evidence needed to completely dispel that myth forever. Plenty of Saints fans, not just stood, but f**king standing on benches and yet the whole Wee Dublin End was silent from the 20 minutes before kick off when I took my spot in the ground, to the 75th minute when I decided I'd seen enough. 

Cant disagree with any of the above, however these are the same players that many said would compete at the top, its all down to attitude as well as ability.

What platform has the hierarchy delivered.................Instability, uncertainty and change change change. Add to that the seasoned pros who are obviously well past their sell by date, we could be going a lot further down In leagues.

Its all very well Gordon having his ambitions, but we need a leader. The apt of JR was a PR car crash, whatever Scott says, more said no thanks than thanks....

Lets be clear, if nothing changes we wont get 10 points this season, we have seen it happen before. As mentioned, the Dave Hayes, JC years. Only difference is none went to the 3rd tier.

Sons will be rubbing their hands. Its not passing a ball we need, its an army assault course, with a sgt major making some cry.

As sown in 90% of cases, new manager = lift. Well so far JR has 3 games 1 goal, when Ton had switched off 7 against and zero points..

SD I also agree that the Under 20s would be better, at least they would feel on show, this lot are just taking the piss......  

Well past the clear the air talk.................. But when you have hopeless thirty somethings they are already looking at life after football. Unfortunately for us a lot have already made that transistion 

15 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Need to get a bit real here.

parent clubs wont take back loan players before the end of the loan without the wages being paid up. So unless they get injured Hardie and Walsh are here to January, and Shankland till end of season. 

Dont know what fellow buds reasonably expect in January window as we can only swap like for like, there is no transfer budget, we probably have what we have, save for signing an out of contract player. Ross has got the same players Rae had, in all competitions Rae got four wins, three draws and four losses from this squad, can Ross meet, or beat that?

By Jan mate, we could be 15 points adrift.

The fans already put enough money into the club no more from me, I'm waiting for the original poster to call me fickle again just because my opinion was different from his. As I said last night it's down to the last board we are in this mess. It's not down to the supporters to fix it

30 minutes ago, ged62 said:

The fans already put enough money into the club no more from me, I'm waiting for the original poster to call me fickle again just because my opinion was different from his. As I said last night it's down to the last board we are in this mess. It's not down to the supporters to fix it

Well Said Ged

Spot On.................

Save the Saints campaign when some Bank is trying to close us, or financial mess from previous board...............NOT........... when its obvious there has been no performance planning for SG and his cronnies- just planning to get as good a parachute as they can muster.

They started this imperfect storm in 2010 with Gus and Milne,

In saying that Scott does not seemed to have learned much!!

Think we need to just stick by both the board, the management team and the players for the time being.

This squad isn't Jack's and after three games, despite the horrendous performance last night, it's harsh to be critical of him in my opinion at this stage.

Similarly the new board have been in place a couple of months. Again it's very harsh, in my opinion, to be critical of any decisions they have made at this point.

We've ten football matches between now and the end of the year, 7 of which are at home. Hopefully we can pick up at least some points in that run and hopefully in January we can terminate some of the loan agreements and Jack can bring some of his own players in to steady the ship and get us the points we need to survive.

The one thing we have in our favour at the moment is time. There is still a huge amount of football to be played and whilst it is all doom and gloom today that can change quickly.

It was only a few weeks back that Morton fans were calling for the head of Jim Duffy!

13 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Blah blah blah amateurs are great, blah blah blah I was right, blah blah blah listen to me, blah blah blah I have got a fantastic life even though I'm on here all the time talking overly verbose inane drivel about everything and anything..... 

On the plus side one thing we did learn tonight was that Div talks a load of pish.

Surely a key trait for anyone posting on a football forum is self awareness?

14 minutes ago, div said:

Think we need to just stick by both the board, the management team and the players for the time being.

This squad isn't Jack's and after three games, despite the horrendous performance last night, it's harsh to be critical of him in my opinion at this stage.

Similarly the new board have been in place a couple of months. Again it's very harsh, in my opinion, to be critical of any decisions they have made at this point.

We've ten football matches between now and the end of the year, 7 of which are at home. Hopefully we can pick up at least some points in that run and hopefully in January we can terminate some of the loan agreements and Jack can bring some of his own players in to steady the ship and get us the points we need to survive.

The one thing we have in our favour at the moment is time. There is still a huge amount of football to be played and whilst it is all doom and gloom today that can change quickly.

It was only a few weeks back that Morton fans were calling for the head of Jim Duffy!

What he said. The main difference between the teams last night was confidence, Morton had it and we had none. There are some players in that team who are not good enough, but most, especially the younger ones, are ok players who are bereft of confidence. Time to get behind them, having a go isn't going to make them play better.

Would be good to get another chairman's update on the official site in the next week or so.

Don't see the point of blaming the previous board, management or players for the mess we're in as it makes sod all difference to our situation. Whatever they were responsible for causing has happened and now we need to give the new management and board a chance to fix the problems. 

It's Gordon Scotts job to provide money for the Club,the fans are already digging deep enough.GS was keen enough to get his hands on the Club.......let's hope he's just as keen to put his hand in his pocket and get us out of this mess.If he dosent he stands to lose a lot more than a place in the Championship.

a hope the riot act was shouted at them last night,also like to think the chairman,manager,players,have a crisis meeting and decide who wants to stay and fight and who can fuk off out door this now,starting by taking them back to Greenhill rd after training today and make those spineless twats watch re run of game 4 times till midnight,also ask every player for money off wages to pay for 1008 fans that went to that shithole and they didn't,also a clear out,starting with all loan players hardie Walsh shankland,then try get Clarkson Gallagher x2,and try get in 3-4 players who gonna try,last but not least,what worries me is a think we are even worse than we was 4 weeks ago,still absolutely stunned watching worst buds team and performance in 35 years o following buds,feel so sorry for ex players who put there neck on the line,fought like warriors to keep this 17 year record going for those wage thief,spineless,impostors,embarrassment to st.mirren fc,let it go without a fight,and lastly,can we get that open top bus back round paisley with every member o playing staff on it and we can throw rotten eggs and anything else at them,they are a DISGRACE

3 minutes ago, HSS said:

It's Gordon Scotts job to provide money for the Club,the fans are already digging deep enough.GS was keen enough to get his hands on the Club.......let's hope he's just as keen to put his hand in his pocket and get us out of this mess.If he dosent he stands to lose a lot more than a place in the Championship.

Thing is the way the deal is structured it is not all that easy to "put money in"  no point in putting it in for shares when what you are trying to do is sell them and GS creating shares waters SMISA down to below the key number of 25%+1 share.

So either money has to be loaned in, donated or put in as sponsorship/commercial...all of which have difficulties.

On traditional ways of doing it the become a Director for £50K is hopefully not further resorted to

13 hours ago, Big Fras said:

We had some spare money but chose to invest it on a disabled access area. That is highly laudable....but they'll be watching planes in 2 years time. Keep the money on the pitch. I heard we are toying with the idea of a coffee shop. I've heard (cough) that jazz cigarette material is easily available in Feegie, but there's no need to go all Amsterdam on us. More idiocy. The whole place has gone mental. 

Indeed, where's Roger Milla when you need him.

13 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Why is money needed Ian? I was there tonight. I reckon I could find 15 players from the amateur leagues - all under 19 years old - who could have outplayed that St Mirren side tonight. Many of them I know have dealt with Jai Quitongo's ability in a far more convincing manner than Jack Baird and Ben Gordon. It's truly frightening how all of the failures at the club have culminated together to reach this critical mass where the club really look doomed to the third tier for the fist time in history. The lack of a decent scouting network, a youth development programme that has produced nothing but pampered little dickheads who think "pretty football" is passing the ball around at the back for a few minutes before lumping it forward to give the opposition the ball back, there's no fight, no desire, no belief, no courage and certainly no ambition in evidence around the club. And when anyone wants to highlight the glaringly obvious they are immediately turned on by some of the most deluded club supporters in Scottish Football currently (seriously "the team looks good on paper" - what a load of shite) 

On the plus side one thing we did learn tonight was that Div talks a load of pish. Only a few weeks ago he claimed the atmosphere is amazing when fans are allowed to stand. Here tonight we saw all the evidence needed to completely dispel that myth forever. Plenty of Saints fans, not just stood, but f**king standing on benches and yet the whole Wee Dublin End was silent from the 20 minutes before kick off when I took my spot in the ground, to the 75th minute when I decided I'd seen enough. 

4 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

The worrying thing for me is that the coaching doesnt appear to have changed. The first goal last night came from poor marking at a set piece. The second saw Mallan overplay the ball yet again and as he turned back like he always does he had his pocket picked, the Naismith dived in and sold himself.

Youve got Naismith showing forwards inside when there is no cover, and Mallans set peices are just hopeful floated balls that are easy picked off by the opposition. And the pass back to Langfield from anywhere on the park is utterly predictable. And dont get me started on the lack of fitness put there.

Its all basics that should have neen worked on by now yet it hasnt been fixed. Itd be really interesting to know if players are still back home for 2pm on training days cause they absolutely shouldn't be.

Ok, Stuart isn't the most popular poster on this Forum, but I have to say I agree with all of this

I'd even add that I remain unconvinced that the fan-ownership situation improves anything. I suspect money will be even tighter than before and our ability to do much more financially this season must surely be limited (I could have this wrong with no facts to back it up........I certainly hope I am)

I'm also unconvinced when I hear players quoted as saying "love the new manager, trainings been great blah blah". I'd much rather they were saying training has been really hard and I ache but I'm benefiting from it, and I'm now able to control a ball coming in my direction and to make a simple, even forward, pass.

Last night was rotten (on and off the park) and in the decades I have supported the team I could count on one hand occasions when I have left early. Last night was one of the fingers.

3 minutes ago, Jocky said:

Ok, Stuart isn't the most popular poster on this Forum, but I have to say I agree with all of this

I'd even add that I remain unconvinced that the fan-ownership situation improves anything. I suspect money will be even tighter than before and our ability to do much more financially this season must surely be limited (I could have this wrong with no facts to back it up........I certainly hope I am)

I'm also unconvinced when I hear players quoted as saying "love the new manager, trainings been great blah blah". I'd much rather they were saying training has been really hard and I ache but I'm benefiting from it, and I'm now able to control a ball coming in my direction and to make a simple, even forward, pass.

Last night was rotten (on and off the park) and in the decades I have supported the team I could count on one hand occasions when I have left early. Last night was one of the fingers.

3 minutes ago, Jocky said:

yip,totally agree with you bud,gets abuse on here,but cant disagree with a word he says,spot on

10 minutes ago, Jocky said:

The club has operated on a "breakeven" basis since the previous regime took over in 1998 and GS said in the runup to buying the club he wasn't willing to put more of his own money into the club.

The sale price was way too high and the model chosen was never going to increase the playing budget and now that reality is setting in we're getting the first hints that fans are questioning how much they're putting into the club, it's quite worrying.

Back in '98 when I bought my shares (put the cheque in Jackie Copland's hand :wub:) the money went to the club, not a bunch of fed-up directors who'd bungled just about everything other than running the club on a breakeven basis since the stadium move. I hope it's not required but if it comes down to it I'd be willing to put money into the club, again.

Edited by Bud the Baker

56 minutes ago, HSS said:

I'd argue it's his and the rest of the board's job to balance the books and ensure there is reasonable budget for the manager to do his job. I'd prefer that to be through finding new revenue streams rather than him having to chuck cash in, which isn't really sustainable - although the way things are going he may have no other option.

I see folk suggesting the next lot of SMiSA cash should be used to boost the playing budget. I think it's £8,000 a quarter which is roughly £600 a week. You might get one decent Championship player with that if you're lucky :unsure:

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Would be good to get another chairman's update on the official site in the next week or so.

Don't see the point of blaming the previous board, management or players for the mess we're in as it makes sod all difference to our situation. Whatever they were responsible for causing has happened and now we need to give the new management and board a chance to fix the problems. 

FFS Don't let Faraway hear you say that, apparently we are stupid if we think our Chairman should say anything!!

Mind u Faraway is his brain from his mouth so see where he thinks he is coming from