Kyle Magennis

shull

1 hour ago, Maboza said:

We got a fair turn out of players like Kirk Broadfoot, Lewis Morgan and Vaclav Hladky in the past even when they were heading elsewhere.

I see no reason that we wouldn’t have got exactly the same commitment from Magennis. Especially with the type of player he is, length of service & family ties to the club. 

There were basically 3 outcomes available:

1) Sign new 4 year deal

2) See out contract 

3) Sell the player 

The player apparently (reasonably) didn’t want the new contract so that ruled out option 1.  The club then seemingly had a choice to make and went for option 3.  

If the player didn’t ask for the move then it’s a financial decision from the club.  

The club had control out of 2/3 outcomes but their nose seems out of joint that the 1 outcome they apparently wanted (to sign a new deal) wasn’t agreeable - and that’s just tough luck!! The player has no obligation to sign! 

Good luck to him. 

The real irritating bit of the story for fans is where they’ve obviously publicly played up that they’re rejecting the bid - only to then accept an offer days later. Clear as day they were just haggling as many feared at the time. 

You also wonder to what extent they’ve strung the manager along. 

If I’d had the option I’d just have retained the player for the season. It makes you wonder about desperation for cash.

The only other way selling now would make sense is if there’s a McGinn-esque sell-on clause secured but I don’t think that would bear the same fruit as McGinn. Time will tell. 

No one said he asked for the move. IF the player didn't want the move after finding out about it then your opinion of how his last 7 months would go could stand up. The club said, once he knew of the interest, he drove the narrative. IF that is the case then I doubt we would have seen a player willing to go the extra mile as those mentioned. The two sides are blaming each other. I'm saying I choose not to jump on the bandwagon firing blame at the club with no real evidence.

Time for my tuppence worth.

When Tony the tache took the helm he specifically stated that we would no longer be selling off our prized young assets for less than they were worth.  Well that was a f**king lie was it not?

Kyle Magennis was only 21yrs old and the Captain of an SPFL club. To sell him to a league rival for so much less than an acceptable value was beyond amateur. I am coming round rapidly to SPS's assertions that we are indeed a poorly run club.  Would Hibs have been able to strip a similar asset from St Johnstone, Kilmarnock or Motherwell so cheaply?  

He was the clubs player and it was ultimately the clubs decision to sell.  The same old pish is rolled out as it is every time we cash in (cheaply) on one of our assets.  We don't want an unhappy player, the players head was turned when that happens we could do nothing, he could have went for free in the summer. Such statements question the professionalism of the player and I don't doubt young Kyles professionalism for one moment.  I do question the professionalism and integrity of Gordon Scott and Tony the much admired tache.  I question those stupid remarks about top six.  You see top six isn't that fanciful, it really isn't.  The top six however will forever be beyond our grasp whilst we continue to flog such talent for next to f**k all.  No amount of pish spouting from immediately below Tony's tache will change that, progress is beyond our club and it will remain beyond the club whilst we continue in this cycle of producing and selling to our rivals (for next to f**k all as well).

If you want to see the success of our clubs football academy then I suggest you get a season ticket for HIbs,

HIbs now boast a McGinn, a Mallan, another McGinn and now a Magennis (not to mention the Naismith that's just away back from his loan).  How we could use these players now. 

But cheer up lads and lassies, the board love you and have already looked after us.  We have signed two loan players so lets all forget about being nothing more than a highly successful feeder club.   These loan players are the future and will be just brilliant and we will all be happy. 

Our loyalty is always tested but we are venturing way beyond the point where those in power at the club are ripping the absolute pish out of those who parted with hard earned cash for season tickets. 

Edited by TediousTom

28 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

Time for my tuppence worth.

When Tony the tache took the helm he specifically stated that we would no longer be selling off our prized young assets for less than they were worth.  Well that was a f**king lie was it not?

Kyle Magennis was only 21yrs old and the Captain of an SPFL club. To sell him to a league rival for so much less than an acceptable value was beyond amateur. I am coming round rapidly to SPS's assertions that we are indeed a poorly run club.  Would Hibs have been able to strip a similar asset from St Johnstone, Kilmarnock or Motherwell so cheaply?  

He was the clubs player and it was ultimately the clubs decision to sell.  The same old pish is rolled out as it is every time we cash in (cheaply) on one of our assets.  We don't want an unhappy player, the players head was turned when that happens we could do nothing, he could have went for free in the summer. Such statements question the professionalism of the player and I don't doubt young Kyles professionalism for one moment.  I do question the professionalism and integrity of Gordon Scott and Tony the much admired tache.  I question those stupid remarks about top six.  You see top six isn't that fanciful, it really isn't.  The top six however will forever be beyond our grasp whilst we continue to flog such talent for next to f**k all.  No amount of pish spouting from immediately below Tony's tache will change that, progress is beyond our club and it will remain beyond the club whilst we continue in this cycle of producing and selling to our rivals (for next to f**k all as well).

If you want to see the success of our clubs football academy then I suggest you get a season ticket for HIbs,

HIbs now boast a McGinn, a Mallan, another McGinn and now a Magennis (not to mention the Naismith that's just away back from his loan).  How we could use these players now. 

But cheer up lads and lassies, the board love you and have already looked after us.  We have signed two loan players so lets all forget about being nothing more than a highly successful feeder club.   These loan players are the future and will be just brilliant and we will all be happy. 

Our loyalty is always tested but we are venturing way beyond the point where those in power at the club are ripping the absolute pish out of those who parted with hard earned cash for season tickets. 

Ffs he wouldnt sign new contract, is injury prone and would have left end of season. Hasn't played a game and certainly wasn't going be some kind of saviour. Fully back club on this taking money before he walks for nothing....funny how he has turned into Messi all of a sudden...

14 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Kyle's family have already said they are liars on another social media platform. So who are the liars. The club or the Magennis family. I know who I believe.  

The wee fairies at the bottom of your garden. :)

1 minute ago, portmahomack saint said:

What is kyle saying...  Nothing I bet 

Kyle said something along the lines of when he knew there was an opportunity to move to Hibs, he was excited by it.

I don't blame him for this, bigger club, more money etc, and the club, when it became clear he wanted to move, accepted the offer.

That doesn't mean he did the dirty on us, he made a decision to join Hibs to advance his career, fair enough. However, all this outrage on his behalf, and statements from his family criticizing the board, is bizarre. He was a decent player for us, not a world-beater but decent. He left to further his career, good on him. But please don't portray him as some sort of modern black and white hero.

Personally, I'm more concerned that it appears JG wasn't party to the decision to sell, and that it takes us to the last day of the window to sign defensive reinforcements, and one of them is injured.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Kyle said something along the lines of when he knew there was an opportunity to move to Hibs, he was excited by it.

I don't blame him for this, bigger club, more money etc, and the club, when it became clear he wanted to move, accepted the offer.

That doesn't mean he did the dirty on us, he made a decision to join Hibs to advance his career, fair enough. However, all this outrage on his behalf, and statements from his family criticizing the board, is bizarre. He was a decent player for us, not a world-beater but decent. He left to further his career, good on him. But please don't portray him as some sort of modern black and white hero.

Personally, I'm more concerned that it appears JG wasn't party to the decision to sell, and that it takes us to the last day of the window to sign defensive reinforcements, and one of them is injured.

I'm pretty sure Finlayson & Mason wouldn't have been our targets if we had banked the Magennis money last week.

13 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Some think it's the reverse.  

6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I don't disagree,, 

But what am saying is who do you think knew first that Hibs were sniffing about.   Kyle or Stmirren ? ? 

3 hours ago, God of war said:

Ffs he wouldnt sign new contract, is injury prone and would have left end of season. Hasn't played a game and certainly wasn't going be some kind of saviour. Fully back club on this taking money before he walks for nothing....Fully back club on this taking money before he walks for nothing.......

Oh look a "new" poster spouting utter pish, just in time to defend the honour of our failing board members.  What a coincidence, what a coincidence indeed.

Lets deal with this keyboard boak shall we.

1)  Ffs he wouldnt sign new contract, - You know that do you?  Also he was our player and our Captain.

2)   is injury prone and would have left end of season - Well if he was that injury prone why did JG make him the Captain?  All players get injuries and Kyle has just been a bit unlucky.  Again you seem to know that he was off at the end of the season.  What a well informed producer of boak you are

3)  Hasn't played a game and certainly wasn't going be some kind of saviour - He was our Captain so the manager clearly (and rightly) rated him.  Quite the stupid point you have made.

4)  Fully back club on this taking money before he walks for nothing....- Of course you do.  Why type the other boak though? 

Well I find your contribution to be nothing more than idiotic spew, idiotic spew indeed.

Edited by TediousTom
a slight error in the spelling dept has caught my eye

For all those criticising the board on this and claiming Kyle didn't want the move.

From the horse's mouth:

"“Everyone knows what St Mirren means to me as a club (Obviously not that much) but this was a challenge that excited me and that I really wanted to take on.”

How can anyone say he was forced out by a greedy board?

Edited by stlucifer

For all those pishing themselves here is an interview with Goody on NOTTHEOLDFIRM website ......

St Mirren manager Jim Goodwin is delighted with the signings of Rangers talent Daniel Finlayson and Coventry City left-back Brandon Mason.

The Buddies made two moves on the final day of the transfer window, first signing defender Finlayson on a season-long loan deal with an option to buy from Rangers. Next it was Mason, the left-back joining on a season-long loan from Coventry City.

Goodwin has explained the motives behind these signings, dismissing reports that Mason could miss between 6-8 weeks of action with knee ligament damage.

“Daniel Finlayson is an upcoming centre-half who’s had really good development at Rangers and in the USL in America with Orange League County,” said Goodwin.

“It’s a good standard below the MLS and he’s been playing every week over there. The guys in our academy are doing great work in bringing quality players through. I feel at the moment we are lacking in that defensive part.

“We don’t have anybody to bridge the gap between the academy and the first-team at centre-back or full-back. I feel Daniel is a good one to do that. Rangers have been good enough to allow us to have a closer look at him, see how he is training with the first-team.

“Brandon Mason is one we’ve been looking to try and get done for a little while. With the sale of Kyle Magennis going through a couple of days ago, that’s allowed me some funds to get this done.

“Brandon’s a good, young, attacking left-back, he ticks a lot of boxes. He’s had great experience down at Coventry and being part of a very successful team last season. There was a lot of things flying about on social media I believe and I think a few directors were nervous about the situation off the back of what was being said. But we do our due diligence on every player we bring in and their medical records.

“The last thing we would do is sign a player who’s out long-term, that wouldn’t make any sense. The facts are that Brandon picked up a slight knock on his knee in training and he’s about a week away from full fitness.

“People were saying he’s not going to be available until January, it’s nonsense, people starting rumours without any facts on the matter. We’ve got a really good deal in place, Coventry have been very fair, we won’t pay for Brandon until he comes to the club which will hopefully be next week.”

More arrivals?

The transfer window may be closed but Goodwin isn’t ruling out potential additions to his squad. St Mirren’s manager says the free agency market will be looked at in the near future.

“The board have been very supportive of me in my time here,” said Goodwin. “They gave me what the club could afford and for the last couple of weeks things have been tight. We’d have liked to have got another one or two players in earlier than what we have done.

“This Kyle Magennis money has allowed us to bring in Finlayson, Mason and hopefully, one or two others. There is a free agent market out there at the moment. Over the next seven-10 days we’ll take our time and look over that market.

“Hopefully we’ll come up with one or two names over the line. There’s funds still available to me.”

As much as I would have preferred KM to remain as a St Mirren player for the foreseeable future, it would be immoral to have the young man held hostage as a St Mirren player against his will and to deny him the opportunity to maximize his earnings. Good luck to him.