Director Election Candidacy - Kenny Morrison

TsuMirren

17 minutes ago, TsuMirren said:

Firstly, I'd just like to say good luck to both of the other candidates.

I'd like to use this thread for people to ask me whatever questions they may have regarding my candidacy. I'll try and answer as openly and honestly as I can, even next week when I'll be in Reykjavik.

In July 2012, in the club boardroom, why did you vote in favour of Stewart Gilmours proposal to keep Rangers in the top flight? 

6 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

In July 2012, in the club boardroom, why did you vote in favour of Stewart Gilmours proposal to keep Rangers in the top flight? 

Stuart, you really need to stop with this falsehood.

Gilmour and colleagues were arguing for the new club to be afforded direct access to the second tier (the then 1st Division), not the SPL.

Now, either you are genuinely a wee bit mixed up, cognitively impaired, or being deliberately mischievous. Which is it? I've pointed this out on several occasions, yet you insist on peddling this untruth. Like you, I opposed the suggestion, but your account is blatantly inaccurate.

Edited by Drew

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Drew the vast majority of us know Stuart likes to throw a grenade into the room before knowing the facts. Can't make up my mind if Stuart would make a good ( (nut case party candidate ) or a Sunday Sport journalist. 

Dickhead would even embarrass Trump.

glad I voted before his poison leaked onto this subject, too.

Just so we're clear, I don't want to pollute this thread with yet another discussion of the events of that afternoon in the boardroom. It is important, however, that Stuart's disingenuous account is called out for the falsehood that it is.

I'd rather focus on what the candidates have to offer in the context of the future of the club.

36 minutes ago, Drew said:

Question for you Kenny:

If elected, how would you go about ensuring that you represent the broader support base?

The obvious initial answer to that is to make myself as available as possible. Be that twitter, across forums, via email, phone or face to face whether that's in the 1877 bar before games or even a weekly/monthly slot where I find a venue and we can have a sit down to go over things. Aside from the face to face, I pretty much operated as being as approachable as possible (as much of a target as possible at times) when involved at Ebbsfleet. It's not just about me making myself available for contact, I'll also look to keep my eye on what concerns the fans have.

Important to stress that primarily it is a SMISA representative role, but as it's "Your Club. My Club. Our Club." I'm certainly not going to focus just on the live issues being looked at by SMISA. So if there's something out there there should be put to SMISA or put to the club for discussion then I'd like to think I'll enable that and keep everyone informed as we progress.

Another key element of it all will be understanding how the club works. So, I'd hope to sit down with people around the club and get their views on how things operate or what they'd like to see change or improve. Part of that will also be asking the silly boy questions, or even just the common questions that arise and challenge where appropriate.

Stuart, you really need to stop with this falsehood.

Gilmour and colleagues were arguing for the new club to be afforded direct access to the second tier (the then 1st Division), not the SPL.

Now, either you are genuinely a wee bit mixed up, cognitively impaired, or being deliberately mischievous. Which is it? I've pointed this out on several occasions, yet you insist on peddling this untruth. Like you, I opposed the suggestion, but your account is blatantly inaccurate.

Ok, Kenny, why in July 2012 did you back Stewart Gilmour proposal to treat Rangers more favourably than Gretna or Airdrie or Third Lanark? Why did you want them to be given an easy ride back to the top?

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Kenny,What's your thoughts on away fans being given part of the West Stand and sevco being given the Family Stand at last game of last season?

In the general discussion area of the form there's currently a discussion around finance and the board or Gordon putting money in. It's been highlighted that the best way to raise finance is by looking at revenue streams as opposed to raising debt. So, in a way, if you just look at the two examples provided in isolation you can see that they are two ways of doing that, with the away fans in the West Stand also I'm assuming being a way of avoiding additional costs when it's a smaller team. The problem with each though has been the way the decisions have been made, communicated and then discussed later on. In simple terms, I also feel the West stand being segregated leads to quite a bit of congestion in the concourse and could easily lead to health and safety issues first and some loss of revenue second. I don't have figures on how much it costs to open the North Stand, so I can't quantify anything really. But, when you look at the space under the Main Stand compared to the space under the West you do have the ask the question about segregating it. For the Rangers issue, again it couldn't not have made us money but was a decision made without much discussion with the fans. Was it annoying having even more of the ground than usual taken up by the Rangers fans, yes it was. Was it useful to have more money come in to the club, again yes it was. I don't think we sold our soul that day, I do like many others still await whichever screening it was that was promised in the aftermath.

I'd also like to look at avoiding both the above in the future, potentially we can't and at that point it's a case of seeing what can be done better.

5 hours ago, TsuMirren said:

The obvious initial answer to that is to make myself as available as possible. Be that twitter, across forums, via email, phone or face to face whether that's in the 1877 bar before games or even a weekly/monthly slot where I find a venue and we can have a sit down to go over things. Aside from the face to face, I pretty much operated as being as approachable as possible (as much of a target as possible at times) when involved at Ebbsfleet. It's not just about me making myself available for contact, I'll also look to keep my eye on what concerns the fans have.

Important to stress that primarily it is a SMISA representative role, but as it's "Your Club. My Club. Our Club." I'm certainly not going to focus just on the live issues being looked at by SMISA. So if there's something out there there should be put to SMISA or put to the club for discussion then I'd like to think I'll enable that and keep everyone informed as we progress.

Another key element of it all will be understanding how the club works. So, I'd hope to sit down with people around the club and get their views on how things operate or what they'd like to see change or improve. Part of that will also be asking the silly boy questions, or even just the common questions that arise and challenge where appropriate.

Hey Kenny Doug here from Old Course, best of luck to you

Edited by DougJamie

14 hours ago, TsuMirren said:

Firstly, I'd just like to say good luck to both of the other candidates.

I'd like to use this thread for people to ask me whatever questions they may have regarding my candidacy. I'll try and answer as openly and honestly as I can, even next week when I'll be in Reykjavik.

Hmm, no open and honest answer to my questions then about you voting in favour of treating Rangers differently to how other clubs in a similar predicament were treated by Scottish Football. It's nice to know that I'm being ignored. 

Lets try another one. Your MyScotFC project - you know the one you boast about in your pitch - can you tell me how many members it had at it's peak, and what positive effect it had on one of my local football clubs - Newmains United? Can you also tell me why you decided to walk away from the project? Was it really because - as you posted on here - Newmains United were pish? 

7 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Hmm, no open and honest answer to my questions then about you voting in favour of treating Rangers differently to how other clubs in a similar predicament were treated by Scottish Football. It's nice to know that I'm being ignored. 

Lets try another one. Your MyScotFC project - you know the one you boast about in your pitch - can you tell me how many members it had at it's peak, and what positive effect it had on one of my local football clubs - Newmains United? Can you also tell me why you decided to walk away from the project? Was it really because - as you posted on here - Newmains United were pish? 

Okay, open and honest...I do have you on ignore Stuart, but that's not why I didn't respond to the question earlier. Drew highlighted that you were wrong, so I left it there. I'm able to view the questions on my tablet, so did actually see it and will continue to see your questions. I'll handle the question in a moment or two though, on to MyScotFC first though.

I answered over on the other topic, but will post again here. MyScotFC was something that started with the backing, albeit verbal, of the man behind MYFC. That backing soon disappeared, observation not blame. When take up was low I continued anyway and we worked with Newmains and managed to fund them to the tune of around £1,000 at the time. The money went towards training equipment, the Cup trip to Penicuik the new website and whatever else the club deemed fit. I don't understand how I or the project contributed to "the mess", so can't really comment any more on that. At the time it was a nice project and the people involved at Newmains appreciated the assistance. That quote from me simplifies things to a high degree. I had a full discussion at the time with Gordon Bruce and basically handed the running to Mark after assisting Gordon with the business plan for the development of Victoria Park. Mark then used the experience to continue filming matches, which I'd also done and edited highlights or full footage on the Sunday for upload to youtube, ahead of ending the project after season two. I don't boast about it in my pitch, though I do refer to it at one point. I make more reference to my time involved with MYFC (MyFootballClub) and Ebsfleet United. The MyScotFC project very quickly became a small community based one, where the aforementioned money was raised and we undertook things like handing out leaflets in the ASDA along from Victoria Park and attended meetings with the local council alongside representatives from Newmains United. As was the way with many junior clubs, we struggled because games weren't on and the interest just wasn't there from the local community. As we were a funding partner, it was never really our role to push or drive engagement. It was our role to support the club, get some money in from our members and provide things like the highlights of matches, interviews and the content for the website. As I was told at a club committee meeting, they were in the community and we were taking it wider. This was all in 2008/09, from memory, so things are patchy though I believe I've gotten the main gist of things correct.

Now, to the whole Rangers debate and the meeting in the boardroom prior to the public meeting in the main stand. From the outset it was obvious the Board wanted to use us, was it 12 or so, as some sort of guiding vehicle. The information we were given was flimsy, the challenge everyone around the table gave was more than valid. Some of the challenge was dismissed, some "ach lads, we're all just like you" style sentiment was pretty weak and all in all nobody in that room felt they had the answers needed. From memory, it was pretty much sold as the world will end, nobody will be left in employment and this club, OUR proud club, will be left playing 7 a sides on a glass strewn grass park behind ASDA if we are lucky. Even the question put to the group, was so poorly worded and filled with caveats. Again, from memory I'm pretty sure the question was along the lines of "If it meant avoiding administration, would you accept Rangers being placed in the Championship". I didn't believe for a second we would go in to administration or that it would be armageddon (remember we'd already avoided that when the BBC took on the TV deal after SKY pulled their deal). Had the question only been "would you accept Rangers being placed in the Championship", then no and I've stated that in public, in pubs, on forums, with friends and to anyone who'd listen at the time. Indeed, I still believe that UEFA, unless they get involved elsewhere and ignore Scotland, wouldn't have allowed it to happen anyway. Neither should it have happened, just like it didn't at Halifax and other teams who all suffered financially. The "if it meant avoiding administration..." seemed pretty much the final straw of wording it as the meeting was running in to the public time slot and saying yes was so loaded, so full of caveats that it was never a proper yes and never supported by the full information required. It was basically asking if I want to see the club my Grandpa supported die when there was an option, albeit a redundant one, there. It was "aye whatever, let's just get out there and have some popcorn". Had it been a full vote, with actual repercussions, you can guarantee I wouldn't have voted until seeing the projections, talking to Mr Doncaster and phoning UEFA. Even then, I'd have put the full picture to the fans first and went with their majority view.

43 minutes ago, TsuMirren said:

Okay, open and honest...I do have you on ignore Stuart, but that's not why I didn't respond to the question earlier. Drew highlighted that you were wrong, so I left it there. I'm able to view the questions on my tablet, so did actually see it and will continue to see your questions. I'll handle the question in a moment or two though, on to MyScotFC first though.

I answered over on the other topic, but will post again here. MyScotFC was something that started with the backing, albeit verbal, of the man behind MYFC. That backing soon disappeared, observation not blame. When take up was low I continued anyway and we worked with Newmains and managed to fund them to the tune of around £1,000 at the time. The money went towards training equipment, the Cup trip to Penicuik the new website and whatever else the club deemed fit. I don't understand how I or the project contributed to "the mess", so can't really comment any more on that. At the time it was a nice project and the people involved at Newmains appreciated the assistance. That quote from me simplifies things to a high degree. I had a full discussion at the time with Gordon Bruce and basically handed the running to Mark after assisting Gordon with the business plan for the development of Victoria Park. Mark then used the experience to continue filming matches, which I'd also done and edited highlights or full footage on the Sunday for upload to youtube, ahead of ending the project after season two. I don't boast about it in my pitch, though I do refer to it at one point. I make more reference to my time involved with MYFC (MyFootballClub) and Ebsfleet United. The MyScotFC project very quickly became a small community based one, where the aforementioned money was raised and we undertook things like handing out leaflets in the ASDA along from Victoria Park and attended meetings with the local council alongside representatives from Newmains United. As was the way with many junior clubs, we struggled because games weren't on and the interest just wasn't there from the local community. As we were a funding partner, it was never really our role to push or drive engagement. It was our role to support the club, get some money in from our members and provide things like the highlights of matches, interviews and the content for the website. As I was told at a club committee meeting, they were in the community and we were taking it wider. This was all in 2008/09, from memory, so things are patchy though I believe I've gotten the main gist of things correct.

Now, to the whole Rangers debate and the meeting in the boardroom prior to the public meeting in the main stand. From the outset it was obvious the Board wanted to use us, was it 12 or so, as some sort of guiding vehicle. The information we were given was flimsy, the challenge everyone around the table gave was more than valid. Some of the challenge was dismissed, some "ach lads, we're all just like you" style sentiment was pretty weak and all in all nobody in that room felt they had the answers needed. From memory, it was pretty much sold as the world will end, nobody will be left in employment and this club, OUR proud club, will be left playing 7 a sides on a glass strewn grass park behind ASDA if we are lucky. Even the question put to the group, was so poorly worded and filled with caveats. Again, from memory I'm pretty sure the question was along the lines of "If it meant avoiding administration, would you accept Rangers being placed in the Championship". I didn't believe for a second we would go in to administration or that it would be armageddon (remember we'd already avoided that when the BBC took on the TV deal after SKY pulled their deal). Had the question only been "would you accept Rangers being placed in the Championship", then no and I've stated that in public, in pubs, on forums, with friends and to anyone who'd listen at the time. Indeed, I still believe that UEFA, unless they get involved elsewhere and ignore Scotland, wouldn't have allowed it to happen anyway. Neither should it have happened, just like it didn't at Halifax and other teams who all suffered financially. The "if it meant avoiding administration..." seemed pretty much the final straw of wording it as the meeting was running in to the public time slot and saying yes was so loaded, so full of caveats that it was never a proper yes and never supported by the full information required. It was basically asking if I want to see the club my Grandpa supported die when there was an option, albeit a redundant one, there. It was "aye whatever, let's just get out there and have some popcorn". Had it been a full vote, with actual repercussions, you can guarantee I wouldn't have voted until seeing the projections, talking to Mr Doncaster and phoning UEFA. Even then, I'd have put the full picture to the fans first and went with their majority view.

FFS 

Another dude ignoring fellow Saints fans. 

Absolutely pathetic. 

1 hour ago, TsuMirren said:

So let me get this straight. You voted to treat Rangers differently to how other clubs had been treated in the past, because you believed that UEFA would have stopped it from happening anyway? Is that really what you are saying? My notes from that night are on here somewhere. I'll get round to searching for them later, but from memory Gilmours claim was that many clubs would be in administration in the next 3 months and that St Mirren wouldn't be safe. As I remember it though the biggest threat to St Mirren was job losses. Gilmour claimed players contracts wouldn't have been renewed in March if he'd known the state of Rangers finances, despite them having gone into administration on February 14th. The implication appeared to be that Norrie and Cathy would lose their jobs because they wouldn't be able to get rid of footballers on contracts. However as I said at the time if you vote to treat Rangers as a special case you might as well pull the shutters down straight away, because Scottish Football was dead anyway. 

As history shows Gilmour was wrong. You were wrong. St Mirren didn't just survive, they went on to win the League Cup. The club didn't go into administration, instead Gilmour and his pals walked away with £1m in their pocket. And having "Rangers" come back from the dead in the bottom tier of Scottish Football meant that clubs with a legacy of small debt were able to completely clear their feet thanks to the revenue the "Rangers" support was generating within the lower leagues of our game. 

At Newmains when you walked away, because "they were pish", the club was left in dire straits. The team could only train one night per week because they couldn't afford pitch lets. Your negotiations with the council clearly didn't work because whilst Newmains remained f**ked, both Wishaw and Carluke created a solid base on which to progress from. Indeed at one point Newmains were so short of committee members the club almost didn't start the season. Their manager Billy McKie launched a national press campaign looking for any assistance at all to keep the club going, and even I was approached at one point. McKie said in the Daily Record that attempts to boost the clubs profile, local appeal and sponsorship revenue had "not worked". Yet you think you can offer something to St Mirren FC and others appear to be willing to back you. I'm afraid I won't be. 

So let me get this straight. You voted to treat Rangers differently to how other clubs had been treated in the past, because you believed that UEFA would have stopped it from happening anyway? Is that really what you are saying? My notes from that night are on here somewhere. I'll get round to searching for them later, but from memory Gilmours claim was that many clubs would be in administration in the next 3 months and that St Mirren wouldn't be safe. As I remember it though the biggest threat to St Mirren was job losses. Gilmour claimed players contracts wouldn't have been renewed in March if he'd known the state of Rangers finances, despite them having gone into administration on February 14th. The implication appeared to be that Norrie and Cathy would lose their jobs because they wouldn't be able to get rid of footballers on contracts. However as I said at the time if you vote to treat Rangers as a special case you might as well pull the shutters down straight away, because Scottish Football was dead anyway. 

As history shows Gilmour was wrong. You were wrong. St Mirren didn't just survive, they went on to win the League Cup. The club didn't go into administration, instead Gilmour and his pals walked away with £1m in their pocket. And having "Rangers" come back from the dead in the bottom tier of Scottish Football meant that clubs with a legacy of small debt were able to completely clear their feet thanks to the revenue the "Rangers" support was generating within the lower leagues of our game. 

At Newmains when you walked away, because "they were pish", the club was left in dire straits. The team could only train one night per week because they couldn't afford pitch lets. Your negotiations with the council clearly didn't work because whilst Newmains remained f**ked, both Wishaw and Carluke created a solid base on which to progress from. Indeed at one point Newmains were so short of committee members the club almost didn't start the season. Their manager Billy McKie launched a national press campaign looking for any assistance at all to keep the club going, and even I was approached at one point. McKie said in the Daily Record that attempts to boost the clubs profile, local appeal and sponsorship revenue had "not worked". Yet you think you can offer something to St Mirren FC and others appear to be willing to back you. I'm afraid I won't be. 

The project was still running when I passed it over and Mark continued on. I've no idea who Billy McKie is, at the time Mr Rankin was the manager. Nothing had worked at Newmains, I believe they'd recently had a spell on hiatus. From memory our project had around 30 members, it's no exaggeration to say I think that took their fanbase to around 35 people not including players and officials. I was constantly told of issues with the park etc, but again that wasn't our problem and the club certainly be never launched anything close to the vitriol you have.

As for Rangers...again the question was begun with if and was purely fantasy regarding the possibility of administration. I'd have gotten involved in a phoenix club, fund raised and looked for any way to not see the club disappear from its original form. At the time I thought yes if it stops all the supposed doom, which I never thought would actually happen. I made a decision based on the 1% to 10% chance of a need to save the club. I seem to recall you once making a proposal to charge the club for a service. Am I wrong, you wrong, both of us wrong?

I'm going to move on from the Rangers debate. My true feelings were I never wanted them in the top flight and never wanted them in anything but the fourth tier or even lower. That would have been and was the most satisfying option.

1 hour ago, TsuMirren said:

The project was still running when I passed it over and Mark continued on. I've no idea who Billy McKie is, at the time Mr Rankin was the manager. Nothing had worked at Newmains, I believe they'd recently had a spell on hiatus. From memory our project had around 30 members, it's no exaggeration to say I think that took their fanbase to around 35 people not including players and officials. I was constantly told of issues with the park etc, but again that wasn't our problem and the club certainly be never launched anything close to the vitriol you have.

As for Rangers...again the question was begun with if and was purely fantasy regarding the possibility of administration. I'd have gotten involved in a phoenix club, fund raised and looked for any way to not see the club disappear from its original form. At the time I thought yes if it stops all the supposed doom, which I never thought would actually happen. I made a decision based on the 1% to 10% chance of a need to save the club. I seem to recall you once making a proposal to charge the club for a service. Am I wrong, you wrong, both of us wrong?

I'm going to move on from the Rangers debate. My true feelings were I never wanted them in the top flight and never wanted them in anything but the fourth tier or even lower. That would have been and was the most satisfying option.

When? 

I offered to run an SMS service for them at no cost to the club where they would have got 33% of all revenue taken in, not just from St Mirren related business but from all of the clubs I covered in its entirety.  This isn't about me though. It's about you and your abilities and competences to do the job. I think your judgement was sorely lacking in that boardroom in 2012 and if we are to take your comments here at face value you voted in favour of giving Rangers preferential treatment even though you never thought any of the scenario would happen. That strikes me as a very strange way to behave. 

I want a fan representative that will take issues and complaints from the clubs customer base to the board. I want someone principled, capable and with the courage to stand up to any pressure being put on them by the other members of the board, or indeed from other boards in Scottish football, to drop issues that they don't like. I want someone dynamic who can make things happen and someone who will have the focus and determination to improve the club far beyond where it's currently at. I'd love to see my representative armed with a wealth of creative ideas or at least open to suggestions from members that may or may not be viable, but that are ideas regardless and not someone who has members on ignore.

Thanks for responding Kenny but I'm afraid you are not the candidate for me.