The United States of America Election 2016

shull

Can't escape this election with only two English speaking channels BBC WORLD NEWS & CNN.    Clinton was part of the mess decision making which caused such a mess in the middle east with thousands losing their lives. Now she is a mouth peace against  Russia. Trump is a bit anti establishment which I quite like though sounds a bit of a  crack pot. The choice is for the American citizens, poor souls. 

There is a good documentary about the history of elections in the US by Rich Hall on BBC 4 that is well worth watching. It dispels the notion that this is the dirtiest US Election fight ever.

One bit I found quite revealing was the dissection of the body language of Clinton and Trump that really explains why people will back Trump no matter what he's saying simply because he's clearly not been coached to avoid the mistakes of the likes of Nixon.

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

There is a good documentary about the history of elections in the US by Rich Hall on BBC 4 that is well worth watching. It dispels the notion that this is the dirtiest US Election fight ever.

One bit I found quite revealing was the dissection of the body language of Clinton and Trump that really explains why people will back Trump no matter what he's saying simply because he's clearly not been coached to avoid the mistakes of the likes of Nixon.

SD whats its called? I will watch tonight on i player

He is a total nut job... he is a joke.... he is a racist and a scum bag, I said I hope he wins, not I support him 

So was George Bush, Nixon, Johnson and Reegan

So whats new......................... But Clinton I trust less

At least the Yanks get to chose their nutters, we are just given them

1 hour ago, saint in exile said:

God forbid!! the man's a nut job.  She's bad, but he's a million times worse.

He is I agree thing is you know what you are getting he also understands how business works. Clinton is a war monger  now she is making lots of noises about Russia . The way the world is just now with the financial sector maybe a big war is what's needed. That's my main worry with Clinton. 

24 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

He is I agree thing is you know what you are getting he also understands how business works. Clinton is a war monger  now she is making lots of noises about Russia . The way the world is just now with the financial sector maybe a big war is what's needed. That's my main worry with Clinton. 

FFS.

trump has bankrupted 9 businesses.  He cheats his taxes - this is just a new way of cheating money from stupid people.  He claimed to self-finance his  electioneering - that lasted very little time.

what you would be getting with Trump is someone who has no grasp of facts, reality or politics; a racist, misogynist, bullying loser... Son of another of the same ilk.  If that's what you're getting and you know that, what civilised ape would vote for it? :o

14 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Does he?

He inherited his money and it's well documented he has had 4 companies declared bankrupt 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/debtwire/2015/08/18/a-trip-down-donald-trumps-bankruptcy-memory-lane/#4588de0975dd

For me he's little more than a gambler, although giving it further thought you're undoubtedly right that he understands how business works. :mellow:  Nobody with common sense could believe he really cares about "ordinary folk". The US political system is one of checks and balances and I find it hard to believe that Trump will be able to make the compromises needed to get legislation through especially if he ends up with a Democrat controlled Congress.

On the other hand who can have any enthusiasm for HC who has been deeply involved in two mediocre presidencies and relied largely on Democratic Party bureaucracy and big business to secure her candidacy? 

Possibly the most important outcome of the election will be the current vacancy in the Supreme Court (which Obama didn't have the nous to fill in the dog days of his tenure - big surprise!) and the probable upcoming ones with a couple more of the judges being extremely old :spud5and not in the best of health . Interpretation of legislation can be crucial - as we seen here last week with the UK courts ruling on Parliament having the final say on triggering Article 50 with regards to Brexit.

32 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Does he?

He inherited his money and it's well documented he has had 4 companies declared bankrupt 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/debtwire/2015/08/18/a-trip-down-donald-trumps-bankruptcy-memory-lane/#4588de0975dd

For me he's little more than a gambler, although giving it further thought you're undoubtedly right that he understands how business works. :mellow:  Nobody with common sense could believe he really cares about "ordinary folk". The US political system is one of checks and balances and I find it hard to believe that Trump will be able to make the compromises needed to get legislation through especially if he ends up with a Democrat controlled Congress.

On the other hand who can have any enthusiasm for HC who has been deeply involved in two mediocre presidencies and relied largely on Democratic Party bureaucracy and big business to secure her candidacy? 

Possibly the most important outcome of the election will be the current vacancy in the Supreme Court (which Obama didn't have the nous to fill in the dog days of his tenure - big surprise!) and the probable upcoming ones with a couple more of the judges being extremely old :spud5and not in the best of health . Interpretation of legislation can be crucial - as we seen here last week with the UK courts ruling on Parliament having the final say on triggering Article 50 with regards to Brexit.

Colin I have said he is a nutcase. Have also said Clinton is no better. What's the best of the two evils? For me Clinton is a proven Warmonger. She also made a mess of Lybia especially getting her diplomats killed in the embassy.  UK is a puppet on a string to America. I don't trust her especially for reasons I pointed out above post. As for Mr Muppet yes I know he lost all. But he got it back and more. Business people at his level are all gamblers so are bankers. Both are terrible choices but as I wrote . A war monger or a untried anti establishment person. I would go with the later. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Read an article on Trump last week which made a very good point.

Basically it said he the republican primary race for self publicity. He's intending launching a new television channel next year and this was part of the marketing.

He never for one second imagined he would win the nomination, but he did, and in many ways he was as surprised as anyone.

The actual campaign against Clinton has just been a continuation of his self publicity. He has no politics, no realistic policies to speak of. Just sound bites.

Amazingly, he could win the presidency.

3 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Read an article on Trump last week which made a very good point.

Basically it said he the republican primary race for self publicity. He's intending launching a new television channel next year and this was part of the marketing.

He never for one second imagined he would win the nomination, but he did, and in many ways he was as surprised as anyone.

The actual campaign against Clinton has just been a continuation of his self publicity. He has no politics, no realistic policies to speak of. Just sound bites.

Amazingly, he could win the presidency.

And then set up "White House TV"?

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

How can you know what you are getting with someone you consider insane

7 hours ago, DougJamie said:

At least the Yanks get to chose their nutters, we are just given them

They don't, its more complicated than that and anyway  Al Gore actually got around 500,000 more votes than George W Bush. When you watch the documentary it's better explained on there.

I'm expecting a fairly healthy win for Clinton tonight, not in terms of votes but definitely in terms of the electoral votes and states carried. She seems to have the most important ones tied up. It's been a quite incredible couple of years though. I watched Trump on one of the major US networks this time last year and I have to admit he had me sold. A good dose of common sense  on how to tackle the war in Syria had me convinced. Not that it would ever make any difference anyway. Both Clinton and Trump would be well controlled by the establishment in the US.  

Guest TPAFKATS

Most of them are nutters as well.

Let's face it, neither of the two main candidates are suitable for the job - but, obviously, one of them will get it.

I would go for what I would regard as the lesser of the two evils and pick Trump. Not that I think he would do a good job, just that he would do a "less bad" one than Clinton.

If Trump wins he'll be JFK'd in about 6 months