Tom Walsh

magnus

Hardie can return to the new club, but Walsh is worth holding onto. As is Shankland. Lawrence needs to address his physical shape, but he is a decent player at this level.

With the young lads coming through in the midfield, we're starting to look a bit stronger, with more options available to Jack. Hopefully, Hardie returning to Govan would free a space up for another central midfielder. Sort that out and we could have enough to secure our safety.

Walsh has talent but is very inconsistent in my opinion. He started at Greenock but was pulled at half time as he was absolutely honking. No energy nor fight about him. I know Magennis and McAllister have only played two games but they have produced energy and work rate I have yet to see in Walsh. If he can match those two then I would hold on to him but he would need to work a lot harder before I made a decision. Hardie can go tomorrow.

I'd keep Walsh and Shankland unless we needed to free up wage slots for a decent centre half. Walsh has the ability to make game changing interventions (although he can be inconsistent) and he has demonstrable talent. Shankland knows where the goal is and if he can get his fitness, as well as a run in the team, I believe he can deliver.

In my opinion Hardie is a poser and an imposter - happy to lose him now.

14 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

I'd keep Walsh and Shankland unless we needed to free up wage slots for a decent centre half. Walsh has the ability to make game changing interventions (although he can be inconsistent) and he has demonstrable talent. Shankland knows where the goal is and if he can get his fitness, as well as a run in the team, I believe he can deliver.

Another player believing the hype that surrounds him around the support at Ibrox. He has chipped in with a few goals yes, though he has done nothing to convince me he would make the grade at Rangers never mind our starting 11.

With regards to Walsh, i don't mind him, though surely Callum Gallagher who is one of our own is due to be back in frame along with maybe young McLear, which would leave a space to add somewhere else in the team.

9 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Calum Gallagher is not in the frame as he is failing to impress. I watched him in an u20 game about 6 weeks ago and he was the poorest player in that team.

Under Jack Ross there are signs Naismith and Mallan are getting back some of their form. Let's hope Callum Gallacher has improved in 6 weeks. 

Under Jack Ross there are signs Naismith and Mallan are getting back some of their form. Let's hope Callum Gallacher has improved in 6 weeks. 

I only saw the last 25 minutes or so of the Ayr game so I can't really comment on the basis of that, but from what I saw the week before Naismith was massively helped by Kyle McAllister. McAllister was dropping in behind him and covering when Naismith went forward which reduced his workload a great deal. I commented on it in the Dumbarton match thread.

I wouldnt want to get carried away on the back of one game but whilst McAllister looks slower and less skillful than Walsh and Gallagher I suspect he's more of a team player.

4 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I only saw the last 25 minutes or so of the Ayr game so I can't really comment on the basis of that, but from what I saw the week before Naismith was massively helped by Kyle McAllister. McAllister was dropping in behind him and covering when Naismith went forward which reduced his workload a great deal. I commented on it in the Dumbarton match thread.

I wouldnt want to get carried away on the back of one game but whilst McAllister looks slower and less skillful than Walsh and Gallagher I suspect he's more of a team player.

Yes I agree, Mallan also looks better with Magennis and McAllister in the team providing energy to the midfield area. It's all about the manager getting the best out of them. There are signs that this is now happening.

Walsh has done well in the games he's played. Three goals and one assist in just 4 starts in the league suggest he should be getting more gametime (One goal involvement every 125 minutes). In all comps he has 7 starts, with 4 goals and 1 assist, which is quite impressive. (One goal involvement every 135 minutes.)

Stats don't tell the whole story, but in the position we are in, I'd say we could have done with him starting more often than not.

Having said that, delighted with McAllister's contribution so far, although Morgan has been inconsistent after a great start in the League Cup.

Walsh and Hardie will be gone when their loan deals are up in January. Easiest way to make money available for JR to make a couple of signings. Both players haven't done nearly enough. Are we really gonna keep Walsh for the sole purpose of giving him the final 10 minutes when we're chasing a game?

Shankland I reckon will be here for the season, don't think Aberdeen want him back. Free agent in the summer.

I know we have learned that the "good squad on paper" isnae quite what it seems, but surely Sutton and Shankland is a great front two for this division?  I would like to think we have the players to go for something like a 3 5 2 most games and have a goal threat from the front two and Mallan.

5 hours ago, southsidebud said:

Centre half ?

Did McKenzie and Baird not play well ,add Ben Gordon to the mix ???. I don't think it's as urgent as it was.

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I know we have learned that the "good squad on paper" isnae quite what it seems, but surely Sutton and Shankland is a great front two for this division?  I would like to think we have the players to go for something like a 3 5 2 most games and have a goal threat from the front two and Mallan.

The problem is they are similar and both lack pace.

1 hour ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Walsh and Hardie will be gone when their loan deals are up in January. Easiest way to make money available for JR to make a couple of signings. Both players haven't done nearly enough. Are we really gonna keep Walsh for the sole purpose of giving him the final 10 minutes when we're chasing a game?

Shankland I reckon will be here for the season, don't think Aberdeen want him back. Free agent in the summer.

Shankland is under contract until May so reckon we have no choice but keep him (and I probably would anyway). Still think a couple of experienced pros are required especially one for cover in midfield as the young guys may lose form and we have no cover for injuries. Hardie's wages may pay for one additional squad player and if Walsh doesn't show a greater appetite that could be another. Do not see much scope for bringing in new faces unless we get rid of bodies and the only possibilities are Hardie and Walsh.

I'd
Shankland knows where the goal is and if he can get his fitness, as well as a run in the team, I believe he can deliver.

Knows where the goal is? He hasn't scored a league goal all season. He's had plenty of chances from starting games and coming off the bench and his goal rate is simply embarrassing. His miss late in the game on Saturday was one of the worst I've ever seen and summed up his season perfectly.

He clearly isn't fit, but the big question is why isn't he fit? He had a full pre season, with Aberdeen then with us and he hasn't been injured. The only reason he's not fit is that he's too lazy to get himself fit, he doesn't care enough to put the effort in.

He would be first out the door in January if it was up to me. I would be surprised if he's still playing full time football this time next year.

As for Walsh, I don't rate him Hardie or Shankland but if I had to pick one to keep I would pick Tom. He has something about him and is a useful option from the bench.

29 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Knows where the goal is? He hasn't scored a league goal all season. He's had plenty of chances from starting games and coming off the bench and his goal rate is simply embarrassing. His miss late in the game on Saturday was one of the worst I've ever seen and summed up his season perfectly.

He clearly isn't fit, but the big question is why isn't he fit? He had a full pre season, with Aberdeen then with us and he hasn't been injured. The only reason he's not fit is that he's too lazy to get himself fit, he doesn't care enough to put the effort in.

He would be first out the door in January if it was up to me. I would be surprised if he's still playing full time football this time next year.

As for Walsh, I don't rate him Hardie or Shankland but if I had to pick one to keep I would pick Tom. He has something about him and is a useful option from the bench.

How much match time has Shankland had? We know he can score goals -  he did it for us last season, and his goals played a part in securing our comfortable survival.

He is clearly overweight, and that isn't acceptable for a young player. I suggested in another thread that he should be given an ultimatum to lose weight by January. I think he has lost a few pounds since the Dundee United game, so is hopefully on track.

Given game time, Shankland will score goals. If we get rid of him, Hardie, and Walsh, we'd be left with Sutton and Clarkson (who, incidentally, you also believe to be shite).

How much match time has Shankland had? We know he can score goals -  he did it for us last season, and his goals played a part in securing our comfortable survival.

He is clearly overweight, and that isn't acceptable for a young player. I suggested in another thread that he should be given an ultimatum to lose weight by January. I think he has lost a few pounds since the Dundee United game, so is hopefully on track.

Given game time, Shankland will score goals. If we get rid of him, Hardie, and Walsh, we'd be left with Sutton and Clarkson (who, incidentally, you also believe to be shite).

He has had 16 appearances this season, including several starts. He started our first game of the season against Morton and his most recent start was against Morton in Greenock a fortnight ago, in that game at Cappielow he delivered one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Saints striker. He's had several chances and he hasn't stepped up to the plate once.

How much more game time should we give him? How many duff games is too many? Another 16? His and Clarksons lack of goals (zero in the league between them) is one of the main reasons we are cut adrift at the bottom.

To solve this we need to get rid of them both along with Hardie and get another striker in to play second fiddle to Sutton in January.

In an ideal world Sutton will play every minute of every game between now and May as a lone striker. With the scoring threat of Mallan, and two of Morgan, Walsh, McLear, McAllister and maybe even a fit Callum Gallagher starting behind him there's enough goals among those players to get us to 8th.

However, we will need another striker to offer a goal scoring threat from the bench and as backup should big John get injured or suspended. That needs to be on the list on January, as both Clarkson and Shankland have proven they aren't that man.

10 minutes ago, TopCat said:

He has had 16 appearances this season, including several starts. He started our first game of the season against Morton and his most recent start was against Morton in Greenock a fortnight ago, in that game at Cappielow he delivered one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Saints striker. He's had several chances and he hasn't stepped up to the plate once.

How much more game time should we give him? How many duff games is too many? Another 16? His and Clarksons lack of goals (zero in the league between them) is one of the main reasons we are cut adrift at the bottom.

To solve this we need to get rid of them both along with Hardie and get another striker in to play second fiddle to Sutton in January.

In an ideal world Sutton will play every minute of every game between now and May as a lone striker. With the scoring threat of Mallan, and two of Morgan, Walsh, McLear, McAllister and maybe even a fit Callum Gallagher starting behind him there's enough goals among those players to get us to 8th.

However, we will need another striker to offer a goal scoring threat from the bench and as backup should big John get injured or suspended. That needs to be on the list on January, as both Clarkson and Shankland have proven they aren't that man.

Surely you can't dispute Shankland made a big impact when he came on.