The BDO World Darts And Latest Scores Thread

shull

17 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The current match is quite simply pants.

Both players averaging 80, the 1 & 5 are getting hammered.

If I didn't have a bet on it I wouldn't watch.

Feck knows why channel 4 & BT Sport have pumped money into this garbage, 

Here's a classic for you.

On 06/01/2018 at 8:54 AM, faraway saint said:

Glen Durrant 5/4 favourite, then it jumps to a 8/1 shot, indicating anybody could get to the final or win it. :rolleyes:

On 06/01/2018 at 9:03 AM, faraway saint said:

Having done a bit of research (shutting my eyes and pointing at a list) a decent outsider could be Mark McGeeney, 20/1 :)

Todays bet is McGeeney, Mandigers and Robson................no fecking idea who any of them are, exciting eh?  :lol:

Todays final is Durrant v McGeeney. 

Stuck a small wager on McGeeney just after his first game, 16/1 although watching him at times yesterday he ranged from reasonable to absolute gash.

Durrant is 1/7, don't think the bookies share my slight optimism. 

Durrant has averaged a decent 99 throughout the tournament, McGeeney a poor 90, although the amount of darts that missed the doubles have had an effect on that as his scoring is better than Durrant except in the 180's.

Ach well, still in with a shout..........................

Edited by faraway saint

49 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Competing with the Man City game. I used to watch this one because it was the original but it's died a death unfortunately, it can't compete with the other one.

You're right, it doesn't compete with the PDC in any way, apart from the crowd who, overall,  are real darts fans.

I watched quite a bit at the start, and some last night, and the standard is very poor.

I'm only tuning in because I've a vested interest. 

16 hours ago, Thorizaar said:
  Hide contents

Decent enough final.

The BDO is obviously a lower standard than the PDC but I've never understood why it gets such a hard time about it.

All sports have different levels and i can't think of any that get mocked as much as the BDO. 

It could be because these other sports that are poor don't get the same TV coverage?

The final was decent enough as a competitive match which is enough for plenty of people, although the standard was poor compared to the PDC, as you rightly say.

It's a tad unfortunate the standard in the PDC has gone through the roof, along with the coverage Sky can provide.

It's, IMO, a better event to attend as I've mentioned, the crowd are there to see the darts, not make an arse of themselves and wave at the TV or sing/shout as loud as possible, in a "look at me" type of way.

I'm looking at attending next year because of the atmosphere.

4 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

The BDO world junior champion Justin Van Tergouw  is a future BDO. and  PDC  world champion in waiting the boy is some talent,  get your dosh on him next year faraway if he enters the BDO adult tournament next year.  (can still play in the juniors)  and remember who told you  :rolleyes:

We can go "haufers"...................... :P

£5 each, remind me nearer the time. 

• 1 year later...

Had the misfortune to stumble across this years BDO darts earlier.

Atmosphere non existent, coverage was tragic (scores were wrong for quite a while) camera work appalling and the standard, well, players ended up on double 2 and double 1.

Caught part of some comment from Barry Hearn the other day who said they, BDO, were losing money, the prize money has went down and have refused any help/discussions with him on the future.

Somebody better step in or, unfortunately it could disappear.

On 1/5/2020 at 5:37 PM, faraway saint said:

That was the real darts, this is sponsored by Mickey Mouse. 

Not far from the truth. Players' shirt sponsor is a betting company with 130 followers on Twitter and no website. The current chairman was emailing local builders last week asking them to sponsor the event.

There are big issues in the BDO but none more so than that current chairman who has been a disaster.

At the last BDO "major", he put fake names in the draws. This coincidentally resulted in his wife being a seed in the ladies comp!

Also responsible for the disastrous decision to leave Lakeside this year. It was a dump but at least it had the history and people went to it.

It's worth following darts forums and Justin Credible Darts blog to read about the total mess the BDO has become.

2 minutes ago, Thorizaar said:

Not far from the truth. Players' shirt sponsor is a betting company with 130 followers on Twitter and no website. The current chairman was emailing local builders last week asking them to sponsor the event.

There are big issues in the BDO but none more so than that current chairman who has been a disaster.

At the last BDO "major", he put fake names in the draws. This coincidentally resulted in his wife being a seed in the ladies comp!

Also responsible for the disastrous decision to leave Lakeside this year. It was a dump but at least it had the history and people went to it.

It's worth following darts forums and Justin Credible Darts blog to read about the total mess the BDO has become.

Cheers, will give it a look. :thumbsup

The PDC, IMO, is far from perfect, went TOO far in the size of venues, become an excuse to get bladdered and shout shite at other drunks, but at the end of the day the organisation in every area is PROFESSIONAL. 

People can knock it but the standard is exceptional, although if you watch the coverage Sky reduce the amount of times they show averages when the game is poor, sneaky b'strds. :rolleyes:

I was reading about this earlier. I used to love watching the Lakeside on the BBC, and I can’t believe how far down the BDO has gone downhill as it did used to be a decent tournament.

It appears that moving from the Lakeside was the final nail needed to finish the coffin. I won’t be surprised if the BDO ceases to exist soon. It’s a massive shame, but it isn’t going to match the PDC in any shape or form now.