Fans from outside Paisley

As a few have mentioned on here, the team you support is generally dictated by who your parents/grandparents/family members support.

When I was a wee boy in the early 80s, my late Dad took me to all St Mirren home matches and if they were away from home he would take my to Morton, Dumbarton or Clydebank games, whoever was at home.

I will always be grateful to him for not taking me to either of the ugly sisters.

2 hours ago, renfrew said:

You fell out with the St Mirren board in 2002 :shockaroony   How come you have never said before :P   For me born and lived in paisley for 25 years before being asked to leave then moved to Renfrew and been here for 36 years.

Paisley boy all my days.Introduced to Saints by my Dad,Uncle and Stirling Albion supporting Grandad.They used to take me and my Cousin all over Scotland to watch the Buds.I reckon next season will be my 50th season going to games.

The good times have been brilliant.The bad times are what make the good times brilliant.

Wouldn't change it for the world.

Nice thread, FerguslieBud. One a-typical reply from the village curmudgeon. After the bad start of being accidentally born in Ibrox, I lived in Paisley for 38 years before moving to Norn Irn in 1985. My first memories of St.Mirren were when living in the pre-fabs at Gockston I could hear the roars from Love Street. My Dad lifted me over for the first time when I was about three but he said I was a pain in the arse, running round wanting onto the pitch and asking for pies and Bovril all the time. I had a great grandfather who was a cairter and family legend has it he was one of the earliest residents of Cairters Corner. I like to think it's true. I get back home now and again and was there last month. Looking forward to the SMiSA event in a fortnight's time and hopefully meeting some troopers from the Black & White Army.

It all startit in the late 60's for me.

The Saturday routine was my Dad taking myself, brothers and sister to Storie Street Baths for a couple of hours of swimming fun in the morning.

Then home for lunch and Football Focus or whatever was on at that time.

Then the Family split up for the afternoon.

Mum & Sister would head for Paisley High Street for shopping, Cafe, etc.

My Dad, myself & brothers would head for Love Street , via Rowan Street to pick up my "Paisley" Papa.

I still think, on occasion, my sister got the better deal. :)

Born in Paisley. Most of life spent in Bridge of Weir. Stints in Lochwinnoch, Tunisia, Toronto, Aberdeen. Now living in Paris for the past 3 years and foreseeable future where I know of one other St Mirren fan. 

I'm flying home for a 24hr weekend trip to catch the game tomorrow. COYS. :D

13 minutes ago, antrin said:

Cov...? :unsure:

I nursed a soft spot for them for a while when I was living there, but lost touch when I moved up (relative) north.

Think I might start taking my son to South Shields FC when he's older. Can't go at the moment cos the manager is Graham Fenton and I still blame him for not passing to Stephen McPhee for a certain goal against Celtic that time... 

1 hour ago, MotherwellSaint said:

Paisley born a day bred moved to motherwell few years ago still a buddie not sure if many buddies in the Lanarkshire area at times its closer to get to.away games than home games but a good thread and one club could use

My best Bud is a St Mirren fan living in Carfin so not too far away.....

I was born in Glasgow, live in Inverkip and have a business in Greenock.

Walking down to the local shops on the Monday morning after winning the League Cup in 2013 and being congratulated on our win by just about everyone I passed, in enemy territory, was brilliant and quite heart-warming!!

I suspect the bulk of our supporters from Ayrshire live close to the Glasgow-Ayr trainline. Getting on at Newton-on-Ayr and travelling up I see a few getting on at most stops.

After the League cup win I drove back down the M77 and nearly every second car had Saints flags and scarves hanging out the windows. My car horn was hoarse by the time we got home.

I was born and raised in Irvine but have lived in Glasgow for the last 5 years. My Dad and the rest of my family are all from Paisley and my Dad is a lifelong Buddie so I grew up a Saints fan.

Can't say I knew any other Saints fans in Ayrshire growing up but there does seem to be a lot on this forum. I suppose, like my Parents, a lot of people moved down there from Paisley and Glasgow in the 70s and 80s.

Edited by irvine_buddie

Born in Paisley but grew up in Bishopton where my folks still are. Stayed in Edinburgh while at uni and now live in Dumfries (after a few years in Kirkcudbright).

Stay with my brother when I come back for home games as he's only a mile or so from the ground - he handily moved in about six months before Saints moved. I'm sure that had nothing to do with his decision on where to live...

11 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Foxbar boy born & bred. Moved away to Dumfries for 22 years but couldnt shake the saints bug. Been in the peoples republic of Erskine for the last six years .

Doesn`t matter who you are or where you call home as long as Saints are in your blood

Where abouts in Dumfries? I was in Troqueer originally but moved to Georgetown a few years back.