Fans from outside Paisley

I don't think I've seen a thread with some many likes spread over so many people.

I like it when everybody likes everybody's posts and presses the like button..like. [emoji5]

Aye , dae ye ?

You missed mine oot ! :P

You are however right, it does make a nice change :)

( assuming you like ma posts )

Born and raised in Glasgow, but have family ties in Paisley, and stay pretty close so I was always in about the town, and still am. Kind of grew up with no team, due to being brought up in a split Rangers/Celtic family. Started going to see Saints in my mid teens and never looked back really. 

11 hours ago, HSS said:

Probably John :)  Gave up collecting Beer bottles after that and joined the Junior Supporters Club after that.  Could have kept collecting on that bus ;) Happy Days!

Believe it or not i've loved travelling up over the years. Might feel different if i had to suffer most weeks like most of you. Had some great trips over the years and dragged a few along with me. Trips tend to be quieter nowadays. Generally come up with my daughter who is only into saints because i've took her over the years. She's actually keener than i am these days. Still enjoy half a dozen trips a season however.

I left Barrhead for London in 1986. Celebrated my 30th birthday out of Scotland on 16th November.

Apart from a couple of years in Saudi Arabia (95-97) I've lived in/around Romford in East London. I used to get up the road a few times a season but parenthood put paid to the regularity of the trips and then it became an annual boys weekend with a couple of my mates. We've done Vienna's & Kilty Kilty to death so head up for away matches now and usually grab a seat on a supporters bus that has a couple of spare seats.

• 3 weeks later...

Moved to the Paisley area in 1973 and started watching Saints with my two sons and their pals.

Lived in Houston - 1973-1993 and in Perthshire since 1993.

Travelled overseas accross Europe, Middle East and Africa from 2000-2016.

Longest journey back for a weekend to see a game was from Bloemfontein in South Africa via Johannesburg and Paris. 6,500 miles each way.

Left Bloem on the Friday at 3pm. Arrived Saturday at 8.15am Saturday. At the game at 3pm. Travelled back sunday leaving 6.15pm from Edinburgh.

Arrived Johannesburg Monday at 9.30am. Pick up a car and at first meeting by 11am.

Others will have travelled further but this is my contribution.

Kilmarnock is actually a bummer of a place to get to from most of Ayrshire by public transport and Ayr just don't seem to appeal to anyone outside Ayr and Prestwick. There is no train link from North Ayrshire without first travelling to either Troon, Prestwick or Ayr and even then trains are few and far between. I can travel to Paisley in under half an hour by train, quicker than many Paisley residents could walk to the ground. I was born in Greenock hence why I never supported the team in my "home" town !

Incidentally Killie appear to be better supported by the local kids than either of the two cheeks. That has always pleased me but will not be the case in all Ayrshire towns.

Hi folks - First post

I am a Paisley boy and I started watching the Saints in 1974 just before the arrival of the Messiah. I remember lying on the empty terracing watching games against the likes of East Fife, Stenhousemuir and Meadowbank Thistle. Then it all changed when Mr Ferguson arrived. He was something special. He knew how to mobilise the community and he led from the front. Driving around the town in his own car with a megaphone he sought the support of the town. He had all the junior supporters out on the street with collection tins and he even had a newspaper published to advertise the team. I’ve still got my 9 editions of “The Saint”. He secured a top six finish in the old Division Two to get us into the second tier of the new league structure and got us promoted after a 4-0 win at Dundee. I remember getting chased out of Dundee but we got chased out of everywhere in those days. In the same season we knocked Dundee Utd out the Scottish Cup beating them 4-1 and Love Street was full to the rafters. It was often full when Fergie was in charge and there was no room to lie about the terracing then. Anglo Scottish cup, European outings. I remember walking about in the centre of Boras in Sweden before the Elfsborg game and it was like being in Paisley Town Centre. Just about everyone from Paisley was there.

I now live in East Lothian but I’ve been to a couple of away games this season. I even saw a win against Hibs at Easter Road. There were more St Mirren fans in Sweden in 1980 than made the visit to Easter Road in 2016. Bring back Fergie. We need a second coming.

7 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Hi folks - First post

I am a Paisley boy and I started watching the Saints in 1974 just before the arrival of the Messiah. I remember lying on the empty terracing watching games against the likes of East Fife, Stenhousemuir and Meadowbank Thistle. Then it all changed when Mr Ferguson arrived. He was something special. He knew how to mobilise the community and he led from the front. Driving around the town in his own car with a megaphone he sought the support of the town. He had all the junior supporters out on the street with collection tins and he even had a newspaper published to advertise the team. I’ve still got my 9 editions of “The Saint”. He secured a top six finish in the old Division Two to get us into the second tier of the new league structure and got us promoted after a 4-0 win at Dundee. I remember getting chased out of Dundee but we got chased out of everywhere in those days. In the same season we knocked Dundee Utd out the Scottish Cup beating them 4-1 and Love Street was full to the rafters. It was often full when Fergie was in charge and there was no room to lie about the terracing then. Anglo Scottish cup, European outings. I remember walking about in the centre of Boras in Sweden before the Elfsborg game and it was like being in Paisley Town Centre. Just about everyone from Paisley was there.

I now live in East Lothian but I’ve been to a couple of away games this season. I even saw a win against Hibs at Easter Road. There were more St Mirren fans in Sweden in 1980 than made the visit to Easter Road in 2016. Bring back Fergie. We need a second coming.

Great post Sir. 

I was out with my  SOS ( SAVE OUR SAINTS) Collection Tin that Saturday morning in 1977.£1000 was raised by all involved. 

We went on to beat Hamilton at Love Street in the afternoon. 

Happy days 

Not sure if its an age thing but it's amazing how many of us started our Saints odyssey during the Fergie era. Possibly we are all just "of an age" however I think there was something magically attractive about the club during the late 70s to mid 80s. Big crowds, exciting football and a real media interest fuel's the public's imagination. In our current doldrums you wonder if we will ever see the likes again. As I have said often enough over the years oh for just one more European away day while I am still just about in control of my faculties. Seems a light year away right now.

Cheers Shull

Those were the days. No segregation, No seating, drinking in the ground and we used to beat quite a few teams in those days. If The game was boring The North Bank Aggro usually kept you amused. Still those Halcyon days are gone and we have to live with the fact we sacked Fergie. At least the current board don't have that cross to bare.

Lived around Paisley, but never in it...

Moved about as a kid, living in East Kilbride, Austin TX, Bishopton, Erskine and Dumbarton before moving to Glasgow for a first (failed) attempt at Uni, then Dublin for a slightly more successful one. As such, I watched the League Cup win from a pub on O'Connell St while the parade went past outside.

Despite moving about while in school, I sang in the Abbey choir for 3/4 years and was driven past Love Street about 10 times a week. Attended my first game in about 2004/2005 (a friendly against Rangers which we would've won had Klos not played out of his skin) and the rest is, apparently, geography.

Moved back to Scotland in August last year and have been in Johnstone ever since.