Fans from outside Paisley

Hi folks - First post
I am a Paisley boy and I started watching the Saints in 1974 just before the arrival of the Messiah. I remember lying on the empty terracing watching games against the likes of East Fife, Stenhousemuir and Meadowbank Thistle. Then it all changed when Mr Ferguson arrived. He was something special. He knew how to mobilise the community and he led from the front. Driving around the town in his own car with a megaphone he sought the support of the town. He had all the junior supporters out on the street with collection tins and he even had a newspaper published to advertise the team. I’ve still got my 9 editions of “The Saint”. He secured a top six finish in the old Division Two to get us into the second tier of the new league structure and got us promoted after a 4-0 win at Dundee. I remember getting chased out of Dundee but we got chased out of everywhere in those days. In the same season we knocked Dundee Utd out the Scottish Cup beating them 4-1 and Love Street was full to the rafters. It was often full when Fergie was in charge and there was no room to lie about the terracing then. Anglo Scottish cup, European outings. I remember walking about in the centre of Boras in Sweden before the Elfsborg game and it was like being in Paisley Town Centre. Just about everyone from Paisley was there.

I now live in East Lothian but I’ve been to a couple of away games this season. I even saw a win against Hibs at Easter Road. There were more St Mirren fans in Sweden in 1980 than made the visit to Easter Road in 2016. Bring back Fergie. We need a second coming.

Most guys are a bit tired after the first coming, never mind the second!

Born in Glasgow, raised in Paisley between the ages of 4 and 22. Moved away for career purposes and have never lived there since, but have never considered supporting any other team. As the old saying goes: You can change your car, you can change your wife, but you can't change your team!

Now living on the banks of the Tay where I know a few other Buddies fans.

9 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Born in Glasgow, raised in Paisley between the ages of 4 and 22. Moved away for career purposes and have never lived there since, but have never considered supporting any other team. As the old saying goes: You can change your car, you can change your wife, but you can't change your team!

Now living on the banks of the Tay where I know a few other Buddies fans.

Not far to travel on Saturday then. Some may suggest had you been born in Paisley you would have travelled there first on Saturday just to get the free bus but it's no true us paisley boys urnae tight look how may signed up for SMISA.  Mmm maybe they have a point.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:06 PM, Buffs said:

Born in Glasgow, early years in Dunfermline then brought up in Houston and now live in Kilwinning.

I live in a small street and there are another 2 Saints fans living there. I also see a car from Stevenston that has a St Mirren badge sticker taking up the whole back window.

Unfortunately still too many Rangers And celtic buses leave the town.

that's my car buddie ,but it lives in saltcoats,just like me ,saltcoats born and bread ,everybody asks me same question ? why st Mirren,simple answer is I think im a glory hunter as in 75,76.77 we were nearer top of league than bottom and as a 7,8,9 yr old I was attracted to the hope we would be great forever,and I remember liking black and white stripes (my favourite English team who I picked about the same time  is west brom ,,yeah I know its navy and white but pretty similar ),anyway I have now passed my love of everything st Mirren on to my daughter who like me goes home and away ,although she now takes in u20 games as well ,am I actually a bad parent or will we maybe come good again in the hopefully near future

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:57 PM, saltcoatsbuddie said:

that's my car buddie ,but it lives in saltcoats,just like me ,saltcoats born and bread ,everybody asks me same question ? why st Mirren,simple answer is I think im a glory hunter as in 75,76.77 we were nearer top of league than bottom and as a 7,8,9 yr old I was attracted to the hope we would be great forever,and I remember liking black and white stripes (my favourite English team who I picked about the same time  is west brom ,,yeah I know its navy and white but pretty similar ),anyway I have now passed my love of everything st Mirren on to my daughter who like me goes home and away ,although she now takes in u20 games as well ,am I actually a bad parent or will we maybe come good again in the hopefully near future

At least you used your loaf and supported the Saints!!!

Born and raised on the Moray Firth coast. Friends of the family took me to Pittodrie to watch Aberdeen v Saints (Mcavennie et al) in an effort to indoctrinate me into the way of the sheep. I came away liking Saints. Just sort of went on from there. Moved to Yorkshire in 96 so have seen more away games than home since then. You'd think absence would lessen the agony of a 3-0 home pumping off QOS wouldn't you? [emoji22]

56 minutes ago, Alba said:

Born and raised on the Moray Firth coast. Friends of the family took me to Pittodrie to watch Aberdeen v Saints (Mcavennie et al) in an effort to indoctrinate me into the way of the sheep. I came away liking Saints. Just sort of went on from there. Moved to Yorkshire in 96 so have seen more away games than home since then. You'd think absence would lessen the agony of a 3-0 home pumping off QOS wouldn't you? emoji22.png

Absence makes the heart grow Fonda. :wub:

Image result for Jane Fonda Hottie

Spoiler

Born in The Thorn, and thence to McKerrell street, both sides of the family were Buddies for generations. We emigrated to Oz when I was in my fourth year but I grew up listening to the tales of the famous Paisley Saints, and in particular the 59 cup final winning team, which was attended by my Da and his Da and brothers, and my maws Da and her uncles and brothers.

What chance did I have?

I was born in Paisley and lived in Johnstone until my late 20s. Growing up I was always a buddie and Johnstone Burgh fan. I now live in Langside in the south side of Glasgow.

After giving up season ticket and drifting away from going to football for various reasons for a good few years, my young son - after hearing my stories - nagged me to get us season tickets - so I did. We are both loving it - the results are almost irrelevant - and we're now in our second season. We'll be staying no matter what division we are in next season!

We have added Queens Park (2 games so far) and Pollok (0 at the moment) to our wee team list and the wee guy wants to go and see the Burgh.

Loving football again.

Born in Paisley  (well, Thornhill hospital in Johnstone ), brought up in Paisley but not lived in the town since getting married 35 years ago. Still a buddie!

Same here Thornhill hospital but brought up in Paisley, left to join the army but came home again when got out. My family support one of the ugly sisters, the new one lol [emoji23] I chose to support the buddies, my kids stay in Paisley & support our beloved team. Good to hear we have fans from out with Paisley.

My son was born in 1987 what a year that was, he was still in nappies when I took him to his first game, he's a ST holder like myself so glad he has seen his team win a cup. We've all seen the ups & downs with our club, we dont always agree with each other on this forum but we all want the same thing. We'll be back to the good days again, let's stuck in there.

• 5 weeks later...

Born in Paisley in 1956 and emigrated to Canada in 1974 when I was 18. Have lived around the world, including 18 years in Madrid, where I regularly attended the Santiago Bernabéu stadium, Hala Madrid! Currently in London, before heading back to Canada. My brother is one of the commentators for St.Mirren radio and I listen to all the games. I attended my very first game at Love Street in 1962 with my father.

Edited by TorontoSaint
Incorrect date

Born in Sunny Govan, a buckie bottle throw from Ibrox, moved to Brodie Park area from Kilbarchan when I was 9 months old, my first Saints memory was Oldham in The ASC in 1978. Was a season ticket holder from teenager (82 ish)to when I went to Oz backpacking in 97. Once had a run of 175 home games without missing one. Almost had a full home and away season one year but my brother had to get married on a Saturday!!

Now been in Atyrau, Kazakhstan for the last 10 years, watch St. Mirren TV when I can, kick offs at the wrong time usually, 7/8pm on a Saturday night, family to be fed, pubs to visit. 

Miss the Jolly Beggars bus, some funny drunken times on that bad boy.

Brought up in Foxbar/Millarston flats, been in Jersey since the late 80's, never realised until the 2013 final how many buddies there were over here, day before the game Easyjet flight to Glasgow was literally full of buddies, even the captain commented "Good morning ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Easyjets special St Mirren charter to Glasgow" :lol:

Edited by Jimmy H

20 minutes ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

Born in Glasgow, brought up in ibrox. Followed the buddies home and away from1976 until I came here in 1984. Always love the fact that I was saved from a miserable knuckle dragging existence. Actually I've no knuckles left, I've chewed them off following the buddies

Whereabouts in Jersey are you mate?, out in the sticks in St Ouens myself. 

On 2/25/2017 at 5:00 PM, smitchu2 said:

Here we go - 2 questions and we'll have all the answers St Mirren Fans Survey

I'll post the results in a few days.

32 replies so far:

Where were you born?

Total 32
Paisley
59.38%
Elsewhere in Renfrewshire
12.50%
Ayrshire
3.13%