We Are Down

If a manager, and it doesn't matter who it is, does not shore up a defence that simply gives goals away, then he gets everything he deserves.

We've got players that can win games but until we've got a defence who can defend, a midfield that can protect the defence and move quickly to attack, the we will struggle.

On 21 November 2016 at 2:44 PM, div said:

The league table doesn't make for easy vewing right now but I refuse to accept that our fate is a formality.

Need to get MacKenzie and Quinn fit and back into that team. I still believe we will turn this around. One win is all it will take.

Don't think there is really that much difference between most of the sides in the division. Morton are case in point in what some consistent team selection and confidence can do for a fairly average squad of players.

Just need to stick with them and believe it's going to turn our way.

Ok it must be me , I must have seen by far most of the games that Quinn has played and he's done NOTHING for me at all . What's all this about " when he's fit " ? Does that mean when he comes back from injury I take it ? He's ALWAYS injured and injured players should certainly not be around guys who are " Fit " and ready to battle for the cause . I'm telling you that there is a possibility that Quinn was signed when he was carrying an injury and that is NOT the fault of Rae its a fault of the business side of The Club . what's The Policy for pre signing ? Is there medical reports and the file on players medical record looked at ? We cannot afford to carry or wait for players to get over injuries although I do appreciate it can happen And if it happens playing for us then I'm 100% ok with that but Quinn will do nothing for us . As for McKenzie he looks another who has " SUSPECTED TORN SOCK SYNDROME " but he's done not bad apart from trying to be too clever v Dundee Utd and sold the second goal when we may have scored and got a point . If McKenzie does wins the ball and has a no nonsense approach IE big Godfrey years ago he could assist us a lot . That's 1 thing I like about Jack Baird he never " hides " behind an injury but needs to get tighter and harder . Now before you with the daft hat in the photo calls me Alex Rae or Fergie go ask Jack Ross of his opinion of what I'm saying before you talk more rubbish and contribute nothing as usual . Injured players are no good at all to us and when mixing with guys who are ready to " fix bayonets " can be a very bad influence . But I bet Jack already knows this . We are in a " War Zone " it's all about attitude " and pride we need 1 or 2 guys to drag the rest up . I agree 1 win and things turn round but defenders need to DEFEND . When we get the win it will for sure be scrappy BUT with fantastic attitude so not more talk about when someone is back fit as Jack's only interested in battlers from now on . If your injured stay away from the guys who are ready to fight 

9 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

I would qualify that by demanding the board actually pick a manager who has a chance first and foremost, then I will be happy to back him/her. Picking guys who the job is already beyond hasn't worked and wrecks young managers careers.

Agreed , Rae was not given a chance . He didn't bow down to bigger names and just had a big mess to clear up . He had to sort out prima donnas and he had no time for that nonsense . We were down until he came and from his first game at Alloa there was better attitude . However as you say we are were we are and I sincerely hope Jack turns it around . If he keeps us up he will most likely move on because he will have to hit more or less promotion form which he can do 

11 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Our decline is down to recruting rookie, or failed managers and hoping somehow it will work for them here. That and sacking any manager that records any realistic achievement for our club.

McPherson, binned, Lennon, binned, Rae steadies the ship in half a season, then gets binned after six games!

Craig, failed rookie, Teale, rookie, Murray, failed rookie, Ross, failing rookie..... it aint rocket science FFS, punters pick winners at the bookies everyday with little or no knowledge.

Well said , Craig has had more managers the sack than Eric Black ! Teale should have been told your playing or your out , he's another example of an injured player picking up a wage from us ! Rae seemed to be standing up to all the previous nonsense and had no respect for the likes of Thomson who was obviously a bad influence at the end up as well as slagging off team mates on TV and smoking outside The a Fox and Hounds so Rae " took on " issues like when he played . As IVE said before its not all down to The Manager running a Football Club . Wee Gordon seems to be sitting not doing a lot . Possibly Rae stood up to him and the wee salesman didn't like it

7 hours ago, Loyal Supporter said:

Well said , Craig has had more managers the sack than Eric Black ! Teale should have been told your playing or your out , he's another example of an injured player picking up a wage from us ! Rae seemed to be standing up to all the previous nonsense and had no respect for the likes of Thomson who was obviously a bad influence at the end up as well as slagging off team mates on TV and smoking outside The a Fox and Hounds so Rae " took on " issues like when he played . As IVE said before its not all down to The Manager running a Football Club . Wee Gordon seems to be sitting not doing a lot . Possibly Rae stood up to him and the wee salesman didn't like it

You seem to have an insight into Rae's thinking, so why did a midfield ball winner not sign one single player in his own mold? Did he have a blind spot, did he not want anyone who would stand up to him or is there another reason?

Not a dig just an honest question?

23 hours ago, Soctty said:

Craig - 6 months. Teale - 6 months. Murray - 6 months. Rae - 9 months.

Another thing that isn't rocket science is that giving a manager 6 months to fix something that is in decline won't get any results. One manager is left with the last manager's failing players.

At some stage we have to keep faith with a manager. I could go into a diatribe about how we deserve this for our treatment of Danny Lennon, just as we might have deserved what we got 25 years earlier for our treatment of Alex Smith, but I'll give it a miss.

In short, get behind the manager, all pull in the same direction, support the club, and maybe we might achieve something.

Totally agree but it shows you just how many clubs appoint managers with long term ambitions only to panic when things get tough ..even after a few months 

the fans (and players obviously) have a huge part to play in keeping folk in post

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Alex Rae wasn't left with a squad of other manager's players. He chose to sign the majority of his squad in August.

Rae signed the following - Scott Gallagher, Gary Irvine, Ben Gordon, Gary McKenzie, Rocco Quinn, Kyle Hutton (WTF), Tom Walsh, David Clarkson, John Sutton, Calum Gallagher (WTF), Ryan Hardie and Lawrrence Shankland ie 12 players - a whole team.

15 minutes ago, STGBuddy said:

Totally agree but it shows you just how many clubs appoint managers with long term ambitions only to panic when things get tough ..even after a few months 

the fans (and players obviously) have a huge part to play in keeping folk in post

Agreed. It's understandable sacking a manager when you realise it's just not working and you've maybe made a mistake, but sacking 4 in a row in that way shows the problem lies deeper. I'm hoping with the new board in place, with their man in place, they will get behind him and stay behind him through thick and thin. No more panic sackings. Not this season anyway... ;)

5 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Agreed. It's understandable sacking a manager when you realise it's just not working and you've maybe made a mistake, but sacking 4 in a row in that way shows the problem lies deeper. I'm hoping with the new board in place, with their man in place, they will get behind him and stay behind him through thick and thin. No more panic sackings. Not this season anyway... ;)

Absolutely , sacking Ross would be mental given the rhetoric from the chairman. He's in post now so he needs backing 

13 hours ago, Loyal Supporter said:

Agreed , Rae was not given a chance . He didn't bow down to bigger names and just had a big mess to clear up . He had to sort out prima donnas and he had no time for that nonsense . We were down until he came and from his first game at Alloa there was better attitude . However as you say we are were we are and I sincerely hope Jack turns it around . If he keeps us up he will most likely move on because he will have to hit more or less promotion form which he can do 

Serious question. Do you actually watch St Mirren games ? Don't  you see how unbalanced the squad is Rae's squad. 

11 hours ago, John Gotti said:

You seem to have an insight into Rae's thinking, so why did a midfield ball winner not sign one single player in his own mold? Did he have a blind spot, did he not want anyone who would stand up to him or is there another reason?

Not a dig just an honest question?

I don't know . I can see what you mean . Maybe he thought Rocco Quinn was that player . My pal was happy when Quinn was signed but I'm not impressed by him . I just don't like it when we sign players and they are injured . Now it's going to sound like I'm defending Alex Rae but it's surely not the fault of The Manager when an injured player comes in the door . There must surely be a Club Policy about Medical Reports and a medical done by The Club . People within The Club IE Managers , Coaches ,Tony Fitzpartick must put names forward as its a difficult process getting a player signed but making certain that he's not got a history of injuries is not difficult . I accept it can happen but it's happened to us all too often . I happened to think that Rae went into the job and was seriously going to treat every player on the same basis . IVE got to say it appears he done that . I didn't see any favourites or many lame excuses . However your correct he didn't get get someone who was an out and out ball winner in the middle .

7 hours ago, Sonny said:

Rae signed the following - Scott Gallagher, Gary Irvine, Ben Gordon, Gary McKenzie, Rocco Quinn, Kyle Hutton (WTF), Tom Walsh, David Clarkson, John Sutton, Calum Gallagher (WTF), Ryan Hardie and Lawrrence Shankland ie 12 players - a whole team.

But he wasn't given a chance...................................:lol:

Not quite yet, although we are where we deserve to be - the bottom, but there's been brief glimpses that we are capable of more

• the few minutes after Walsh equalized against Falkirk
  • the CC win against Hibs (presumably as I was working that day)

however even to reach the dizzy heights of ninth it's gonna be as much about attitude as talent.

After a day like yesterday when off-field problems came to the fore there's only one thing to do, pick ourselves up and start the recovery by beating those obnoxious Spartans on Tuesdaynight - letsgetintaethum!  Thermopylae 2 - even more fun than the first..............

Edited by Bud the Baker

Not quite yet, although we are where we deserve to be - the bottom, but there's been brief glimpses that we are capable of more

• the few minutes after Walsh equalized against Falkirk
  • the CC win against Hibs (presumably as I was working that day)
however even to reach the dizzy heights of ninth it's gonna be as much about attitude as talent.

After a day like yesterday when off-field problems came to the fore there's only one thing to do, pick ourselves up and start the recovery by beating those obnoxious Spartans on Tuesdaynight - letsgetintaethum!  Thermopylae 2 - even more fun than the first..............

I would easily swap any Challenge Cup win for a win in the league

8 minutes ago, Dave The Buddie said:

I would easily swap any Challenge Cup win for a win in the league

One you can't, two it's the Scottish Cup :P and there's money to be made when we progress and three the recovery, if it's gonna come, has gotta start somewhere so it may as well be Tuesday night!

Re-reading your post we may be at cross purposes. :wacko:  Anyway let's start the recovery by winning on Tuesday night........

Edited by Bud the Baker

16 hours ago, FTOF said:

But he wasn't given a chance...................................:lol:

He signed them, and got six games with them, drawing three. So not much of a chance. Then he was hastily sacked, which looks a poor decision as it has given the board a stick to beat themselves with when it comes to Ross getting no points out of Six.

if we dont get the wins how many games will they give Ross? Act in haste, repent At leisure.

6 minutes ago, Dave The Buddie said:

Just one league win would be good. I really couldn't care about any of the cups games the league is our priority

Open Top Bus Parade around Paisley, ending up in County Square or at Town Hall  is truly wonderful.