Malt Whisky. Any Advice?

Buffs

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:33 PM, BuddieinEK said:
Dalwhinnie is a beautiful dram and very easy on the palate. Affordable too.

If your budget will stretch to it, for a treat, try Auchentoshan Three Wood. Sublime.

5 hours ago, Drew said:

Dalwhinnie (probably classed as a Highland, but who really cares?) 15 yo is a favourite of mine. Top of my list just now, however, is the Auchentoshan Triple Wood. A bit pricier than some, but worth every penny.

Looks like we need to share a dram Drew... both quoting the exact same two!

Edited by BuddieinEK

On 20 November 2016 at 7:14 PM, tony soprano said:

Macallan is pretty common bud, was it a special edition?

I'd recommend Glengoyne - the standard 10 yo is lovely, although can be hard to find.
malt whisky very much a personal taste thing though.

A personal favourite of mine - I can pick it up in Asda Warrington and sometimes get it for 20 quid for 70cl which is a steal!

Guest TPAFKATS
A personal favourite of mine - I can pick it up in Asda Warrington and sometimes get it for 20 quid for 70cl which is a steal!

Gies a shout when that offer is back on!

I did a whisky tasting at Glengoyne (along with some fancy chocolates), I preferred the 10 and 12 to the 18 & 21.

8 minutes ago, HSS said:

I don't touch the stuff but I have a bottle of St Mirren whisky from our 1987 Cup win.Would it still be drinkable and,if so,would it taste any different from when it was bottled?

20161121_230120.jpg

There's only one way to find out. :guinness Go for it. 

13 hours ago, HSS said:

I don't touch the stuff but I have a bottle of St Mirren whisky from our 1987 Cup win.Would it still be drinkable and,if so,would it taste any different from when it was bottled?

20161121_230120.jpg

As long as the seal's not broken it should be fine, green glass removes the need for storing it in the dark, but kept upright and somewhere cool it should outlast you. :spud5

19 hours ago, HSS said:

20161121_230120.jpg

Still drinkable and will taste as it did when bottled, so long as it's still sealed.  

For the OP, I'd recommend Aberlour 12yr old Sherry Cask, Glengoyne, Balvenie, and Bruachladdich.

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:52 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I like the odd port with cheese can you recommend one. 

I'm not all that picky about the port I drink. My attitude to port is the same as it is to wine :- drink plonk in restaurants and good stuff at home. At Christmas time and birthdays my kids weigh in with port for me and as in my case they are only a week apart I usually start of the year with a good supply. It seems to vanish awfy quick, though. Evaporation is a terrible thing! The big names like Cockburns, Taylor. Grahams or Croft won't let you down. A bottle of vintage, or even a late bottle, and some blue stilton is a match made in heaven.

On 11/21/2016 at 10:40 PM, tony soprano said:

Gies a shout when that offer is back on!

I did a whisky tasting at Glengoyne (along with some fancy chocolates), I preferred the 10 and 12 to the 18 & 21.

We did the Glen Ord tour a couple of months back, and, like you with Glengoyne, I much preferred the 12yr old to their 18. The latter was a bit harsh, and moving towards cough bottle territory.

Just goes to show that the oldies aren't always the best (personal preference applying here, obviously), and that there is significant taste variance within each distillery offerings.

Irritatingly, Glen Ord is only available to the far eastern market, unless you pick a bottle up from the distillery itself. Needless to say, that's just what I did:)

15 hours ago, saint in exile said:

Still drinkable and will taste as it did when bottled, so long as it's still sealed.  

For the OP, I'd recommend Aberlour 12yr old Sherry Cask, Glengoyne, Balvenie, and Bruachladdich.

Aberlour is one of the most underrated malts, IMO. I always try to have a bottle in.