Falkirk V Saint Mirren

St.Ricky

But they were decent players and 'winners', so could be forgiven. As opposed to a 4th rate central defender.

Exactly this. Goodwin and Abercrombie both helped lead us to a first major cup win in nearly 30 years and both played their parts in squads that were comfortable (more or less) in the top tier.

Baird is fourth choice in a squad that is going to get relegated to the third tier. I can't even imagine how you think there is any form of comparison there.

12 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

Goodwin was not comfortable in the top tier. An absolutely limited player, with some of the worst positioning skills I've seen that fans took to heart for some reason.

Possibly related to him being the captain of the team that lifted the 4th trophy in our 139 year history, and playing brilliantly in the semi-final and final against much bigger teams than us. Perhaps.

Possibly related to him being the captain of the team that lifted the 4th trophy in our 139 year history, and playing brilliantly in the semi-final and final against much bigger teams than us. Perhaps.

He really didn't especially in the semi final, needlessly gave away a penalty because he threw himself at the ball. Put the same rules onto McAusland who set up a goal and the semi then watch every St. Mirren fan squirm away.

Constantly caught out of position. Not good a tackling, not good at passing. Only good at gaining retrospective bans. Not good at football.

Shug and Thomson were far better and more effective central midfielders than Goodwin ever was. It sums up our fans thinking when players like Mehmet and him are considered above average. A cup win doesn't make a good player.

54 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

Goodwin was not comfortable in the top tier. An absolutely limited player, with some of the worst positioning skills I've seen that fans took to heart for some reason.

As are most of the players I've seen play for us - we're a diddy club and class players like Doug Somner, Ian Ferguson, Charlie Adam, Thommo & Isma and a few others are very much the exceptions.

Goodwin was already at the top level in Scotland, playing with Hamilton, when we signed him and was targeted by Hibs. Probably on the slide by 2014/15 he was still IMO capable of another season in the Championship but we let him go as the baggage that came with his disciplinary record had become detrimental to his game, the right decision......

Spoiler

.......probably!

Edited by Bud the Baker

It seems most are pinning their hopes on the January transfer window, and Jack Ross being able to sign the players required to turn our sesson round. Now i know we will save a few bob sending Hardie and Walsh back to Greyskull, and perhaps Hutton can dally a while longer in Airdrie, and save a few pennies more?

adding that possible signing spree pot together, i still think we will have to choose just two from Ronaldo, Messi and Ibrahamovic. Dont think Ross will have the wonga for all three?

As are most of the players I've seen play for us - we're a diddy club and class players like Doug Somner, Ian Ferguson, Charlie Adam, Thommo & Isma and a few others are very much the exceptions.

Goodwin was already at the top level in Scotland, playing with Hamilton, when we signed him and was targeted by Hibs. Probably on the slide by 2014/15 he was still IMO capable of another season in the Championship but we let him go as the baggage that came with his disciplinary record had become detrimental to his game, the right decision......

Spoiler .......probably!

Hamilton... Hamilton... A Hamilton side under the most negative manage ever that thought he was only worth a 6 month contract...

Was he actually target by Hibs? It's embarrassing that we paid him to keep him considering his non performance I our relegation season.

What was detrimental to his game was lack of ability. Andy Millen at 40 was better than Goodwin at 30.

He's definitely the most over rated player that has ever played with us.

Paddy Cregg even had a higher level of career than Goodwin. Remember how he was rated here. If it wasn't for a league cup win he'd be remembered as a poor a player as he was.

15 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

He really didn't especially in the semi final, needlessly gave away a penalty because he threw himself at the ball. Put the same rules onto McAusland who set up a goal and the semi then watch every St. Mirren fan squirm away.

Constantly caught out of position. Not good a tackling, not good at passing. Only good at gaining retrospective bans. Not good at football.

Shug and Thomson were far better and more effective central midfielders than Goodwin ever was. It sums up our fans thinking when players like Mehmet and him are considered above average. A cup win doesn't make a good player.

Hugh Murray, now there's a player... who could hardly ever find a team mate with a pass during his time in the SPL.

The penalty (and yellow card) for Goodwin's block - which hit his leg than his arm - was pure Willie Collum gold, an absolute howler of a decision. Was Hugh Murray not substituted in the 2010 cup final where we lost 0-1 to 9 men because McPherson couldn't trust him not to be sent off after Lee McCulloch got away with deliberately elbowing Murray in the face before a corner.

Well there's the question Hugh Murray versus Jim Goodwin.

Shug every day of week. Actually sat in front of the back four and tidied up possession. Couple of red cards. Limited player, knew what he had to do.

Jim Goodwin. Chase after the ball. Zero tactical awareness. Loved a retrospective ban.

f**k it Andy Millen everyday of the week

Was at the game.

Yes it was an idiotic response by Baird which ultimately cost us the game, a game which I genuinely believe we would have won. That was another much improved performance by the team, we are much more mobile, looking to receive the ball, getting forward faster, closing down opponents more effectively. and creating many more chances.

I wouldn't criticise any of the guys today (Baird apart).

A big well done to the support from our fans today, who appreciated the effort and can see the improvements that are perhaps not obvious to those who couldn't manage to the game. Yes we did lose and 3 points are ultimately all that matters but we are almost there and we will not be relegated this season 

Mr Ross was again honest and forthright in his game review and will prove himself as the right man for this club.

9 minutes ago, woiiftm said:

Was at the game.

Yes it was an idiotic response by Baird which ultimately cost us the game, a game which I genuinely believe we would have won. That was another much improved performance by the team, we are much more mobile, looking to receive the ball, getting forward faster, closing down opponents more effectively. and creating many more chances.

I wouldn't criticise any of the guys today (Baird apart).

A big well done to the support from our fans today, who appreciated the effort and can see the improvements that are perhaps not obvious to those who couldn't manage to the game. Yes we did lose and 3 points are ultimately all that matters but we are almost there and we will not be relegated this season 

Mr Ross was again honest and forthright in his game review and will prove himself as the right man for this club.

Can we swap for the 'Wrong Man' who actually wins games?

32 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

Hamilton... Hamilton... A Hamilton side under the most negative manage ever that thought he was only worth a 6 month contract...

Was he actually target by Hibs? It's embarrassing that we paid him to keep him considering his non performance I our relegation season.

What was detrimental to his game was lack of ability. Andy Millen at 40 was better than Goodwin at 30.

He's definitely the most over rated player that has ever played with us.

Paddy Cregg even had a higher level of career than Goodwin. Remember how he was rated here. If it wasn't for a league cup win he'd be remembered as a poor a player as he was.

The length of Goodwin's contract with Hamilton is just a sign of the modern game - there was a fair amount of seethe (and not just online) when he left to join us. What relevance does Billy Reid's negative tactics have on Jim Goodwin's ability?

Targeted by Hibs - that was the gossip in 2011/12 before he signed a new contract till 2014. I've already acknowledged Goodwin was on the slide by 2014/15 - but prior to that he was a regular in squads which coped in the top flight.

How is the Andy Millen comment relevant to Goodwin's ability?

Cregg & Goodwin probably played about the same level throughout the bulk of their careers - Top Flight in Scotland & 2nd/3rd Tier in England. There's probably not much to choose between them but I don't agree that Cregg's general career profile was higher than Goodwins. Even if you were correct it doesn't change the fact that JG captained us to a major trophy and was a part of two squads that finished 8th in the SP(F)L.

The mistake was made in May 2014 with the TC/GT/JG coup d'état. I remember JG in the papers after the Ross County game saying he hadn't been offered a new contract and he wanted his future sorted out - the club jumped the wrong way that week and I'm not just saying that in hindsight. My opinion on JG is that up till 2014 we were a Bottom 6 club and he was a Bottom 6 player.

Tweet from div saying that Lee Miller bit Jack Baird before the punch.

Hopefully some video evidence will clear it up. Can't say i blame Jack for punching him if he has been bitten, I'm sure most of us would have done the same.

How many punched Suarez? Still madness to punch him, get up and show the Ref the marks whilst not exposing your entire team.

How many punched Suarez? Still madness to punch him, get up and show the Ref the marks whilst not exposing your entire team.

Just because Suarez never got punched doesn't mean it's not understandable why Baird reacted the way he did - assuming he has been bitten.

It's a very natural reaction to something as feral as that. If this is the case they both should have been sent off, and we have been done by the officials not seeing the bite.

The length of Goodwin's contract with Hamilton is just a sign of the modern game - there was a fair amount of seethe (and not just online) when he left to join us. What relevance does Billy Reid's negative tactics have on Jim Goodwin's ability?

Targeted by Hibs - that was the gossip in 2011/12 before he signed a new contract till 2014. I've already acknowledged Goodwin was on the slide by 2014/15 - but prior to that he was a regular in squads which coped in the top flight.

How is the Andy Millen comment relevant to Goodwin's ability?

Cregg & Goodwin probably played about the same level throughout the bulk of their careers - Top Flight in Scotland & 2nd/3rd Tier in England. There's probably not much to choose between them but I don't agree that Cregg's general career profile was higher than Goodwins. Even if you were correct it doesn't change the fact that JG captained us to a major trophy and was a part of two squads that finished 8th in the SP(F)L.

The mistake was made in May 2014 with the TC/GT/JG coup d'état. I remember JG in the papers after the Ross County game saying he hadn't been offered a new contract and he wanted his future sorted out - the club jumped the wrong way that week and I'm not just saying that in hindsight. My opinion on JG is that up till 2014 we were a Bottom 6 club and he was a Bottom 6 player.

Jim Goodwin was apparently good at one thing defending. Why would such a manager allow such a player to go play for a rival? He wasn't good.

Andy Millen was far more effective a player in a similar mold that what Goodwin ever was.

Paddy Gregg made the Europa league with St. Johnstone as a first team player did he not?

Being captain means nothing, it's a token role. If it means anything he was also captain during the season we got relegated, before he was stripped of it for being a complete liability....

Cup win, relegation, stripped of captaincy, sacked from coaching role... Jim Goodwin the most overrated player St. Mirren has ever had.