Gary Teale

I still feel Gary was not given a fair crack of the whip. I feel that with his contacts if he had been given a chance he couLd have built us a decent side.

He inherited dross like Jack Ross I hope he is given time and he will build us a fair side,what we don't know is how many players have not bought into his style, as he inferred in one interview. Webster is probably one ,he goes in the huff as has been seen before,he doesn't fancy Walsh or Hardie I agree with him there.

I've said before I spoke to a good coach and he said young guys want the lifestyle of a pro footballer but aren't prepared to work hard for it.

Interesting times ahead at the transfer window methinks

Stick by Jack he will sort it

Gary was not given a chance he got a team mid season who were already in free fall. In Jan his best player was sold underneath him. Basically he was a cheap option. Ross has got a team start of the season and has a chance to mold them but so far not showing and it will be in January to see what sort of manager he is.

Gary should have had a chance last season he could not have done any worse than IM

You are right I think GT will have more contacts in the game than JR. I suspect JR contacts will all be in the Scottish game. Here is hoping something falls into place and soon.

I agree that Teale was treated very shabbily by the board. He was caretaker for 6 or 7 weeks before being appointed interim manager until the end of the season 2 days before McLean was sold, and for most of the transfer window he didn't know if he would be appointed or not or even if the club takeover was going through. Can't think why the rookie manager struggled after we sold our top scorer?!

As for Jack Ross, he was appointed on 4th October and decided to have 1 more game with Alloa before taking up the reigns at Greenhill Road (it was in his contract etc). I do despair that people are now saying we will have to wait until January to judge him as a manager. That's really unfair - the January signings will need months to gel with whoever we can't get rid of- the middle of March is the time to judge Ross!!!  When Ross took over there was actually just over three quarters of the league season left to play and a smaller gap than after we lost 5-in-a-row in the league. One of his first actions when picking his first few teams was to drop all the players who were our top scorers tied on 3 goals each at the time, and since then we have scored 1 league goal (an 83rd minute consolation goal when we were being pumped by Morton at the time).

Sutton and Hardie started Ross' first two games in charge. We didn't score in either. Walsh started the Morton game.

Sutton has started in every game since the Morton game, with Hardie coming off the bench in every game he's been available for since then.

Ross took over a team rooted at the bottom of the league, so it's only natural that he wanted to give players a chance to impress and try to find out what his strongest team is. He's brought Magennis and McAllister into the starting 11 since the Morton game, and both have impressed. Sutton scored two in the cup, and we have created far more chances at home since Ross took over.

It takes time, and Ross should be partially judged at the end of the season, but even then it will be someone else's squad he is dealing with. We need to get behind the manager and the team.

I think if we never went down so heavily at Fir Park under Teale, he may have had a slight fighting chance of getting an extension. When it mattered most, we couldn't pick the points up, but it would be hard to pin all the blame on Teale as he inherited a mess with a short timescale to turn it around. 

I blame the Argies for relegation. They pissed us about so much with the takeover it distracted our performances on the park.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Gary Teale signed Yoann Arquin and Alan Gow. The prosecution rests.

He got rid of the wasters such as Ross Caldwell, Calum Ball, James Marwood, and Adam Drury. And he also signed James Dayton who got us 3 points in his first game at Firhill. He promoted Stevie Mallan to the first team where he was a success and scored the Goal of the Season. He gave unknown youngsters Baird and Morgan contract extensions.  Teale got rid of the dross but had his hands tied at signing players in January so had to accept what was available. He also got McLean his transfer in a weird way by converting him to a striker where McLean had the best scoring record in his career. The guy deserved a chance to build his own squad.

Every manager deserves the chance to build his own squad and have pre-season training to get them to work with their ideas and tactics. Craig got it. Murray go it. Rae got in.

Teale did not.

Not guilty and the case should never have gone to court.

Edited by Sonny

58 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I think if we never went down so heavily at Fir Park under Teale, he may have had a slight fighting chance of getting an extension. When it mattered most, we couldn't pick the points up, but it would be hard to pin all the blame on Teale as he inherited a mess with a short timescale to turn it around. 

I blame the Argies for relegation. They pissed us about so much with the takeover it distracted our performances on the park.

All of this.

The reason Teale took so long to be appointed boss is because the sale of the club was assumed to be going through at that time.

I'm sure SGG will perhaps eventually tell us exactly what happened with the Argie bid but my understanding was, and still is, that it was a done deal only to collapse right at the death for reasons I am still unsure of.

Going back a bit further to Lennon's tenure ending I always felt the only logical reason behind promoting Tommy Craig was as a one-term appointment mentoring Teale. That backfired spectacularly and when Craig was sacked Teale was left with an impossible task thanks to the old BoD dithering but the double header against 'Well & RC prior to the split in 2015 is probably what did for him.

Is he out of the game completely these days?

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Gary Teale signed Yoann Arquin and Alan Gow. The prosecution rests.

In fairness to Teale, he was given no new money to spend (and wasn't even confirmed as manager-until-the-end-of-the-season until the transfer window was almost shut) so his signings had to be funded by savings from mutually consenting duds or returning loan players and Arquin's signing was working out fine whilst Kenny McLean was playing just behind him and scoring most weeks from the space Arquin created. Once McLean was sold at the last minute no one else linked up with Arquin, and Gow was signed after the window closed as a free agent to try and replace Kenny McLean, all of which underlines the point in the OP that Teale got a pretty raw deal during his 4 months in charge.

Ross County and Motherwell also went out and spent money on players in January whereas at St Mirren, we dithered about giving a rookie manager the job for 6 weeks, and gave him no money to spend and he had to mutually consent contracts and return loan players to bring in 2 or 3 players, and then we sold our top scorer leaving our rookie manager no time to find a replacement.

Ross County and Motherwell also went out and spent money on players in January whereas at St Mirren, we dithered about giving a rookie manager the job for 6 weeks, and gave him no money to spend and he had to mutually consent contracts and return loan players to bring in 2 or 3 players, and then we sold our top scorer leaving our rookie manager no time to find a replacement.

Ross County and Motherwell both had multi millionaire owners at the time...doubt motherwell will do much business this January

5 hours ago, rea said:

Ross County and Motherwell both had multi millionaire owners at the time...doubt motherwell will do much business this January

True, but were Motherwell not in the process of trying to hand over the ownership of the club to the Well Society at the time? I think they made 3 or 4 short term signings at the start of the window and backed their new manager in that transfer window and this was a huge contrast to how St Mirren treated their new rookie manager. Teale was appointed caretaker as our chairman headed off on holiday for 6 weeks without knowing how long he would be in charge for - hardly easy to sell coming to St Mirren to potential signings, here's the caretaker manager who wants to sign you, the chairman will be overseas for the next month or so, the Argentinians might be buying the club and the caretaker has no idea if he will still be in charge next week... fancy signing for us? Teale also had to offload lots of players before he had created a budget to sign players from the savings he had made - 5 or 6 players went out the door before we began getting a few guys in, again in contrast to Motherwell.