Recruitment strategy ??

2 minutes ago, STGBuddy said:

So you are seriously telling me that a manager who is considering taking over a new club doesn't have them watched or analyse the club from top to bottom ?? Really ? Ross along with other folk in the game (including folk on here) knew that Rae's jacket was on a shaky peg early doors and they would have , if they hadn't done already, started their homework. To suggest Ross knew nothing about St Mirrens squad is at best naive 

so at the interview he just says 'oh I haven't seen much of St Mirren this season so I'll just pick it up as I go along' come on 

What are you expecting Ross to have done after taking over the team at the bottom? He can't bring players in as it was October. He is taking over a team low on confidence, that had played a horrible brand of football under Rae, with rotating strikers every week, and a system that misused our best player from last season.

I'm genuinely interested in what you think the manager could have done differently at this point. Whether he knew about the squad or not, a manager will give players the opportunity to show him what they can do in the system and style of play he wants to play.

He's seen that we are in need of fresh blood, so he and his assistant are going about finding players.

Tell me where they've gone wrong.

9 minutes ago, STGBuddy said:

This may be a shock to you but Managers who are in the game and have contacts do exactly that ... otherwise they would all be on LinkedIn and it wouldn't be 'innovative' 

Sorry - I didn't know you were in the game, and had indepth knowledge of what managers know about players and what tools they use at our level of the game.  

Tell us more about how managers go about their business - we're all ears...

Please, please, please Billy, help us out. Played 29 games recently scoring 20 with 21 assists. What would we give for that kind of record in the current team?

Edit to Add: Apparently he has recently signed for Brunei :(

Edited by Sonny

10 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Sorry - I didn't know you were in the game, and had indepth knowledge of what managers know about players and what tools they use at our level of the game.  

It would be better if he told us who all the available players are.

Throwing the net wider ? You say I'm being narrow minded but at least I can read .. his ad said U.K. based senior pros on a free .. this isn't about worldwide scouting .. at least read the original post eh ? 

Fair point I should have looked at Fowlers page, however I still fail to see how this is not a viable option for player recruitment.

28 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Rubbish. If they did there would be no need for agents. I think your consternation about asking in a professional capacity for new staff (that's what Linkedin is), says more about you that Fowler.

This isn't recruiting a new business development manager or an engineer .. this is about a manager knowing his market and if you think a player found through LinkedIn will improve our situation then I hope I'm wrong and this is a master stroke ... I very much doubt it 

Are they recruiting players on Linkndin too?

Who knows, they are known for plucking young talent from the world over to take into their academy.

In fairness Luis Enrique probably doesn't have to put out a call for free players to get in touch, why would he, he manages one of the worlds biggest football teams with worldwide contacts.

St Mirren however are not Barcelona, we are merely ONE of the biggest teams in Renfrewshire at this moment in time.

yes linkedn is a professional contact, recruiting tool, what beggars belief is that we just recruited a manager and asst, who presumably impressed with how their strategy, vision and belief aligned with the club's.

Only to find out a few weeks later they actually dont have a strategy, list of contacts or vision as they have been reduced to using the online 'Free Ads' in desperation to find players to replace the loanees it now seems clear who are going back to parent clubs. Wonder how motivated said loanees will be between now and January?

and what state our squad will be in when they go back Jan 1st, and every Tom,Dick and Has-Been on Linkedn uses us, and the WHOLE month of January as a bargaing chip to get a better gig?

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

yes linkedn is a professional contact, recruiting tool, what beggars belief is that we just recruited a manager and asst, who presumably impressed with how their strategy, vision and belief aligned with the club's.

Only to find out a few weeks later they actually dont have a strategy, list of contacts or vision as they have been reduced to using the online 'Free Ads' in desperation to find players to replace the loanees it now seems clear who are going back to parent clubs. Wonder how motivated said loanees will be between now and January?

and what state our squad will be in when they go back Jan 1st, and every Tom,Dick and Has-Been on Linkedn uses us, and the WHOLE month of January as a bargaing chip to get a better gig?

Pretty much my point .. some of the replies to Fowler on LinkedIn sum up why I think it's depressing 

1 minute ago, STGBuddy said:

This isn't recruiting a new business development manager or an engineer .. this is about a manager knowing his market and if you think a player found through LinkedIn will improve our situation then I hope I'm wrong and this is a master stroke ... I very much doubt it 

It may not produce any players directly or even maybe indirectly (from Fowler's professional contacts of players, agents and managers) however no stone should be left unturned. It would be foolish to suggest we should not at leas try. Its not as if he is standing outside a JobCentre or is out at the St James's  asking anyone if they fancy a game - he is asking professional contacts in football.

Edited by Sonny

29 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Ok so John hughes , Billy Davies or Jimmy Calderwood and the like would arrive at Greenhill Road and have no idea of players , positions , who can come in and targets etc ? 

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Or, they do have a strategy, but the club doesn't possess the players they require, or the tools to acquire the players they require. Rather than bemoan this, they are using whatever means possible to assess which players are available, before seeing if they can do a job for us and fit into their vision.

They could just sit on their arse and blame the club for not signing the players they would like us to, I suppose.

The incessant negativity is understandable, given our position. The hunger to treat every single thing the club or its employees do as a negative is bizarre.

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

Or, they do have a strategy, but the club doesn't possess the players they require, or the tools to acquire the players they require. Rather than bemoan this, they are using whatever means possible to assess which players are available, before seeing if they can do a job for us and fit into their vision.

They could just sit on their arse and blame the club for not signing the players they would like us to, I suppose.

The incessant negativity is understandable, given our position. The hunger to treat every single thing the club or its employees do as a negative is bizarre.

Like I say , I've never posted anything negative on this forum before but I see this as amateur and a reflection of how far we have fallen  .. that's my opinion , I'm entitled to it as are you to yours 

12 minutes ago, STGBuddy said:

Ok so John hughes , Billy Davies or Jimmy Calderwood and the like would arrive at Greenhill Road and have no idea of players , positions , who can come in and targets etc ? 

Excellent - we're dealing in makebelieve hypothetical situations now, regarding people we never appointed. That's bound to be a scintillating debate.

Newsflash - none of these guys are our manager. Newsflash number 2 - we've no idea who Ross and Fowler are going to sign in January yet.

The fact that they are spreading the net wide with this type of thing does not mean they don't have ideas of the players they want to bring in. It means they are seeking as many options as possible.

As always, best to take as negative a view as possible. Paint the club, the manager, assistant and players in as bad a light as possible. That is, after all, the job of a supporter.

FFS.

Edited by Soctty

9 minutes ago, STGBuddy said:

Like I say , I've never posted anything negative on this forum before but I see this as amateur and a reflection of how far we have fallen  .. that's my opinion , I'm entitled to it as are you to yours 

You are entitled to it. Can't see how a professional network can be seen as amateur, but there we go - your opinion is there to be shot at, as is everyone's.

26 minutes ago, STGBuddy said:

Agreed, LinkedIn is rubbish (1 level up from Facebook), great if you want to comment or guess how many marbles are in a jar or show of your new car.  It will not deliver us new players...I don't know anyone who has ever been recruited from LinkedIn, complete waste of time and I removed myself from it.... 

Just now, Soctty said:

You are entitled to it. Can't see how a professional network can be seen as amateur, but there we go - your opinion is there to be shot at, as is everyone's.

Small correction required here. The way a 'Professional' uses a resource like linkedn is to iniate a search for candidates with the skill set and relevant endorsements you require. I.e. You check them out before even talking to them, to sift through to only those who have what you need, in the pay scale you are prepared to consider.

however our club have posted a 'roll, up, roll up' to every crock in the game, they will be deluged by a sea of pish, and waste huge amounts of time chasing the likes of Arquan down.

Now you can call mine, and the first approach as being negative, most professionals however see it as being effective, and efficient. Only their and my opinion of course.

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

Small correction required here. The way a 'Professional' uses a resource like linkedn is to iniate a search for candidates with the skill set and relevant endorsements you require. I.e. You check them out before even talking to them, to sift through to only those who have what you need, in the pay scale you are prepared to consider.

however our club have posted a 'roll, up, roll up' to every crock in the game, they will be deluged by a sea of pish, and waste huge amounts of time chasing the likes of Arquan down.

Now you can call mine, and the first approach as being negative, most professionals however see it as being effective, and efficient. Only their and my opinion of course.

Speaking as a "professional", it's main use is networking. Having a network of people in the same or similar industries is a useful tool for getting a message out there and letting people know you are looking for players.

As I have said on other posts, I would highly doubt that this is what the management team are pinning all their hopes on. They will have a list of players they would like to bring in, players they know, some they have worked with and some they have knowledge of from scouting in previous jobs and from watching football. They will not go after all in the "sea of pish" but will hopefully get a few links to players outwith their own range of contacts.

I cannot see a negative to this course of action. 

5 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Speaking as a "professional", it's main use is networking. Having a network of people in the same or similar industries is a useful tool for getting a message out there and letting people know you are looking for players.

As I have said on other posts, I would highly doubt that this is what the management team are pinning all their hopes on. They will have a list of players they would like to bring in, players they know, some they have worked with and some they have knowledge of from scouting in previous jobs and from watching football. They will not go after all in the "sea of pish" but will hopefully get a few links to players outwith their own range of contacts.

I cannot see a negative to this course of action. 

Organisations use it to recruit, and as you say individuals use it to network.

Lets see who we are linked with, and who, if anyone rolls up in January. You are entitled to your opinion, mine is this is a desperate ineffective, inefficient waste of time. That said it will probably be deployed to pick the next manager. Lol.

Edited by Lord Pityme

41 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Yep, until this development, the football world was completely unaware of the fact that we needed a player or two.  We just handed all those agents a blank cheque and now they will bleed us of all the money we don't have.

I never knew that being wanted by one of the most skint clubs in the country was such a lever on salaries for players who currently don't have a deal.  Especially since the other clubs in our division don't need to sign anyone as their risk is currently covered by us.

And could the loanees be any LESS motivated than they have already displayed?  If this isn't the kick up the pants they need then feck them.

2 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Yep, until this development, the football world was completely unaware of the fact that we needed a player or two.  We just handed all those agents a blank cheque and now they will bleed us of all the money we don't have.

I never knew that being wanted by one of the most skint clubs in the country was such a lever on salaries for players who currently don't have a deal.  Especially since the other clubs in our division don't need to sign anyone as their risk is currently covered by us.

And could the loanees be any LESS motivated than they have already displayed?  If this isn't the kick up the pants they need then feck them.

Think this is pish, You obviously haven't seen the GumTree ad yet..?

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/hero-answered-teletext-striker-appeal-6356260.html

Also seem to remember about 10-12 years ago Hamilton placing an advert in The Sun for players. If only there was an expert in Lanarkshire football who I hadn't blocked who could share with us why this was a far better approach than what we're doing...

Edited by Stu